Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 21:43:09 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/21/2017 08:47 PM, wrote:

Anyone who would use aluminum wire is an idiot

Actually, in a lot of situations it is still used today - very
successfully. Not used in residential wiring any more, but
particularly the 2nd generation stuff is fine, as long as it is used
with the proper connections. I had to pigtail the devices that I could
not replace with CoAlr devices, and the ACS Marrette is head and
shoulders better than the ****ty ideal wirenuts that were sold for the
job. There is no "plastic" in them and they are totally non-flamible.

I had all the wiring in the house "recertified" last year.

I repaired industrial equipment for 38 years and did see some power
transformers that had aluminum windings. After enough of them burned up
they went back to copper.

I would never ever use that crap.

I wouldn't build a house with it today either, but I'll be damned if
I'll tear the house apart to replace it when it is fully functional.
Never a problem in the 36 years I've owned the place except for one
switch failure and 2 outlets - and none of them were aluminum wire
related. The only problems with aluminum wiring are faulty connections
- 99.9% of the time traceable to poor installation technique.
I know who wired this one and know he was a concientious electrician
who did it right - and the recertification inspection bore that out. I
also know who did the conversion to CoALR and the copper pigtails
required for the GFCI devices, which are NOT available in CoALR. I
trust his work implicitly (or I wouldn't do it!!) and the inspector
was very happy with the work done (even issuing a no-cost permit and
re-inspection because I did it before applying for a permit because
the electrician that replaced the panel and was SUPPOSED to have the
inspection done along with the panel inspection slipped up)
Good for another 30+ years - longer than I'll be around anyway!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2017 02:38 PM, philo wrote:

[snip]

If you use 12 and 14 the circuit breaker could not exceed 15 amps due to
the #14 wire. Since the breaker cannot exceed 15 amps then there is no
need to use #12 wire.

15A in #12 gives lower voltage drop than 15A in #14.

[snip]

What are these (electrical)? DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 1 September 27th 14 08:22 PM
Electrical putty vs. silicone for sealing exterior electrical holes? blueman Home Repair 3 April 1st 05 11:06 PM
Electrical PVC Ray Home Repair 4 February 21st 05 04:33 AM
Electrical help: 20 amp vs 30 amp loutent Woodworking 61 January 14th 05 10:04 PM
electrical dave marriage UK diy 11 November 6th 03 09:07 PM