Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American mailboxes

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:41:41 -0000, Frank "frank wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 18:42:34 -0000, Mike Duffy wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 18:04:17 +0000, Bod wrote:

Where I live I [...] have even left the front door wide open on hot
summer days many times whilst we went shopping for an hour or so.

Are you not worried at least about animals? (Cats, dogs, mice, rats,
raccoons, skunks, pigeons, snakes, mosquitos, wasps, crickets, ants,
etc.)

Cats are harmless, dogs don't tend to wander off form their owners, the
smaller ones could go through windows anyway.

Years ago neighbor had a cat door and his son came down one morning to
see a raccoon eating cat food. Rabies is endemic here and he was lucky
it was not rabid.

I had an open garage door and neighbors dog chewed up one of my boots.
Birds would often try to nest in the garage and a few times I shut to
door to find a bird trapped in the garage.

We don't have a rabies problem, and I certainly wouldn't mind birds nesting. Some birds like swallows particularly like doing that sort of thing.

--
What are the "Man's Three Rules When Getting Old?"
Never pass a bathroom, don't waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod wrote:
On 14/02/2017 16:54, Joe Jones wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:01:33 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote in

Per James Wilkinson Sword:
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids
steal everyone's mail?"

Theft from mailboxes happens but, here in the suburbs of
Philadelphia, it's rare.

When I visited relatives in the UK about 10 years ago, I was
surprised at the high level of perceived residential theft risk:
bars on windows, my cousin's husband felt the need to chain his
bike even when it was inside of their locked garage, and
so-on-and-so-forth. Ditto Germany.

That's whey Muslims love to go to the UK and KrautLand. The fit
right in.

Most of the UK is *not* like that. Where I live I don't even bother to
lock the car up and have even left the front door wide open on hot
summer days many times whilst we went shopping for an hour or so.

Would you tell an insurance company that?
Thought not.
Pillock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2017 4:23 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Most of the UK is *not* like that. Where I live I don't even bother to
lock the car up and have even left the front door wide open on hot
summer days many times whilst we went shopping for an hour or so.

Would you tell an insurance company that?
Thought not.
Pillock.

Locking your car keeps out the 12 yer olds. The pro will drive it off
in seconds no matter what locks and alarms you have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:23:31 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Bod wrote:
[...]

Insurance companies are rip off merchants. They deserve a taste of their own medicine. I've lied to them countless times.

--
What animal has genitals on its back?
A police horse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 18:59:05 -0000, Frank "frank wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:07:55 -0000, Frank "frank wrote:

I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the
street.

There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.

Yes I can see it being more efficient for the mail people, although
bloody inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to
stop dogs eating the letters never remember to check them and get
letters a week late). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?

Mail might get stolen. It does not happen often. The mail carrier will
also take outgoing mail and boxes have a flag on them to put up if there
is outgoing mail.

I thought the flag went up with the weight of incoming mail?

We don't leave outgoing mail out overnight.

Your postmen don't appear at the crack of dawn?

Theft problem is more serious for packages too big for the box and left
on the porch.

They don't do that here. They leave min e in a shed, but only because I've asked them to do so.

Mail carrier as others point out will drive/carry
packages to house. Packages are also delivered by other services like
Fedex. If you don't have to sign for delivery they will just drop on
porch or driveway.

Mine leave with a neighbour (or they would if I didn't ask them to use the shed).

More serious to our curb mailboxes is damage by vandals or getting
struck by vehicles.

Or baseball bats.

Neighbor across the street has box situated such
that it has probably been accidentally hit by everyone in the
neighborhood. He's got it on a hinged post so if knocked over it can be
set up-right.

If I was him I'd have embedded some dynamite.

--
Landing: A controlled mid-air collision with a planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 17:55:23 -0000, KenK wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in
news
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids
steal everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox
INSIDE the house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door).
Surely kids are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's
right on the street.

That's always been a concern of mine. I try to only put mail in the box a
few hours before delivery time and empty it soon after - hard to tell so
need to guess, depends on carrier and day of week. So far, so good, AFAIK.
Also, isn't the US Post Office a federal agency so wouldn't mail theft be a
federal crime? If so, maybe helps prevents it, or at least reduce it?

If you could stand by your mailbox without anyone seeing you, so could a little runt who's ****ing about.

--
Imagine you are a child in your mother's womb, can you detect light?
Only during ballet practice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:48:51 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:51:29 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 02:30:58 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.

Probably just because they see what's in their mailboxes and
social pressure.
It is common in parts of rural Nebraska to have several mailboxes
grouped on
their own posts. It will be up to the ranchers to get their mail from
there.
There isn't delivery to individual houses.
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.

What happens if you get a parcel delivered that's quite large?

I have a mailbox at the street. I've never (as far as I know) had
mail stolen from it.

If I get a package that's too big for the mailbox, the carrier leaves
it on the porch. I don't live in a crime-ridden hive, as apparently
you do. The houses on my street are generally about 40 meters apart,
although some are more like 80 meters. It would be a lot of legwork
for kids to come around messing with mailboxes (which is a federal
offense worth up to a $5000 fine and/or 5 years in prison--although I
doubt they'd sentence dumb kids to more than a token penalty).

Not much crime here, but kids are kids.

--
Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It is common in parts of rural Nebraska to have several mailboxes
grouped on
their own posts. It will be up to the ranchers to get their mail from
there.
There isn't delivery to individual houses.
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.

If I lived in one of those ranches, I'd have a lock on the box!

My parents farmed in the south central part of the state.
People owned a lot
less ground in the farming areas than in ranch country. Houses would
typically be only a few hundred feet from the road, if that. People
also knew about when the mail carriers stopped by. They and the mail
carriers would recognize each other if they met in town or some social
event. Single mailboxes were at the entrances to the individual
driveways. Nobody had locked mailboxes in this area either.
The carriers would take the packages to the house. Sometimes
they'd leave a card in the box saying the patron needed go to the post
office in town. A person could leave money with a card to order stamps
from the carrier.
There was one time that I remember the mailboxes posed a problem.
Some fool was planting bombs in them. Postal carriers asked everyone
to leave the boxes open.
A bit here about the bombs:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/15/mailbox-bomb-suspect/2164129/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That happens every so often in the UK with public post boxes (where you place letters outgoing).

--
Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them fish?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Mail carriers are not out at rush hour and generally spend that time
collecting and loading their mail. More than half our mail is junk
mail, circulars and the like and has to be sorted into each box.

Vandals probably use baseball bats. Boxes along main roads are most at
threat.

I've nearly tripped over packages left right in front of my front door
and almost ran over one near the garage.

Thread reminds me that a few months ago I needed a new mail box as metal
post had rusted out and new box was needed anyway. Could not find what
I liked at local store and clerk advised looking on line which I did and
got free shipping. Comical because besides new mail box and post, Home
Depot also sent me a toilet seat and barbecue grill mat. I should have
kept them but got them to come back for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bod wrote:
[...]

Insurance companies could be a whole other thread. I have a son that is
an insurance company lawyer and hear all kinds of stories from both sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bod wrote:
[...]

People who take out insurance fall into two categories:

1) Idiots
2) People buying the minimum required by law.

--
User has insufficient intelligence to complete this task, please insert a new user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 00:01:25 -0000, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

So much easier in the UK where couriers and postmen deliver to the door.

--
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My driveway is only 100 ft. but neighbor in back has 700 ft. drive and
neighbor not far has 0.4 mile drive. No way would they get delivery to
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:16:46 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 04:49:45 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:10:36 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:53:23 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:35:24 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the
end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?

In the UK, people sometimes (only 1 in 100) have boxes attached to the outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put into the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.

1 - How do you know that these 1 in 100 people "often" forget to check their mail? Do you
know them all? Do they publish their forgetfulness in the local paper?

It does kinda silly and made up, doesn't it? I'd venture a guess
that most people get some sort of mail each day. That might be
junk mail, a letter, catalog, or a bill. He's trying to make us
believe that everybody that doesn't get their mail through a slot
in the door has Alzhiemers and completely forget to check their
outside mail boxes.

Most people do not bother checking mail every day if it's in a box. But if it's flopped into your hallway, you'll see it.

Frigging idiot. How the hell do you know what "most people" do? Prove your claim.

I don't need to see my mail to remember to check it. My mailbox at work isn't a slot
in my door either. I somehow remember to check that mailbox also. Do you immediately
forget everything you don't actually see?

Besides, why would I want to spend good money on a quality, insulted door and then
cut a hole in it?

2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of their house and
forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupid.

Yep! Not too bright when it comes to getting their mail, are they?

Why bother checking it every day if you don't get important mail every day?

Frigging idiot. How do you know if you got something important if you don't check it?

Do you pick your mail up off of your cruddy floor every day? If so, why? Why don't
you just wait until you get something important?

We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years. We check it every day
except for Sunday. It's really not that hard to remember. See if you can understand this
process:

Step 1: See Mailbox
Step 2: Think: "Did you check for mail today?"
Step 3: If no, check it. If yes, don't bother.

My house is 90 years old and so are the surrounding houses.
Every single one has a mail box on the outside, just a step
or two outside the front door. It ain't rocket science to
remember to check to see if you have mail that day.

It's unnecessary. My letters appear inside my house, I see them if they're there. I don't have to go outside, unlock the box, and check to find just junk mail.

Frigging idiot. I guess if they ever let you out of your slimy house, you'd realize that you
you can actually check the mail on the way back in, like maybe when you come home from
work. Wait. Work? You? Ha! Maybe when you come home from buying booze with your food
stamps.

If you didn't live in a slum, you'd realize that not everyone has to lock their mail box.

Heck, I don't even have to step outside to grab my mail. I just open that nice insulated door
and reach into the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One of the high points of the dog's day is to walk up the driveway with me
to check the mailbox . Especially if we happen to arrive just as Aaron gets
there with the mail . He gives good ear scratch .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 10:16:46 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 04:49:45 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

He's trying to make us
believe that everybody that doesn't get their mail through a slot
in the door has Alzhiemers and completely forget to check their
outside mail boxes.

Most people do not bother checking mail every day if it's in a box. But if it's flopped into your hallway, you'll see it.

And you know everyone doesn't check for mail if they have outside
mail boxes how? Are people sending you e-mails saying they don't
check outside boxes? You are walking the streets spying on people
who have outside mail boxes to see if and when they look inside?

2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of their house and
forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupid.

Yep! Not too bright when it comes to getting their mail, are they?

Why bother checking it every day if you don't get important mail every day?

Ooooooooh, you KNOW what day(s)you'll be receiving *important*
mail?

We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years.

My house is 90 years old and so are the surrounding houses.
Every single one has a mail box on the outside, just a step
or two outside the front door. It ain't rocket science to
remember to check to see if you have mail that day.

It's unnecessary. My letters appear inside my house, I see them if they're there. I don't have to go outside, unlock the box, and check to find just junk mail.

Who said anything about a locked box? I guess folks across the pond
don't have screened, security, or storm doors. I have security storm
doors on my house and no way would they be able to get any mail through
those doors.

Give it up James, you're looking more and more silly with your
continued whines about how things are done in the USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:57:32 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

One of the high points of the dog's day is to walk up the driveway with me
to check the mailbox . Especially if we happen to arrive just as Aaron gets
there with the mail . He gives good ear scratch .

Two of our late cats (RIP) would walk to the mail box when we checked
the mail. I miss 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2017 02:41 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Years ago neighbor had a cat door and his son came down one morning to
see a raccoon eating cat food. Rabies is endemic here and he was lucky
it was not rabid.

I started leaving my cat door unlocked all the time, but changed to
locking it at night. Raccoons were coming in and making messes.

I had an open garage door and neighbors dog chewed up one of my boots.
Birds would often try to nest in the garage and a few times I shut to
door to find a bird trapped in the garage.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

If God can do anything he can make a stone so heavy that even he can't
lift it. Then there is something God cannot do, he cannot lift the
stone. Therefore God does not exist." [Lucretius, Roman poet]
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I've nearly tripped over packages left right in front of my front door
and almost ran over one near the garage.

I've been home when packages are delivered. The mail carrier here
usually doesn't ring the doorbell unless something requires a signature.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

If God can do anything he can make a stone so heavy that even he can't
lift it. Then there is something God cannot do, he cannot lift the
stone. Therefore God does not exist." [Lucretius, Roman poet]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:01:38 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

Give it up James, you're looking more and more silly with your
continued whines about how things are done in the USA.

Now you are catching on. The Brits have penis envy of Americans.
Drives them crazy and they just can't stand it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2017 09:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per bob haller:
the central mailbox....

there are some big boxes for oversized stuff, the carrier puts a key to the over sized box in the recipents usual box.

Surprisingly (to me....) that idea has some appeal: people get to talk
to each other a little bit when they meet while checking mail...

My mail is delivered to a cluster box and it's very seldom I meet anyone
when checking the mail. However I sometimes get to talk to the neighbors
when the low-bid contractor uses his random sorting technique.

I almost paid my neighbor's gas bill one month until I glanced at the
addressee. People here are honest; they don't watch the Netflix DVD's
before bringing them to the proper person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 7:04:34 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
[...]

Our family farm has a 1/4 mile long driveway and the mailbox is down on the main road at the driveway entrance. Back in the late 1960's my dad ordered an electric sander from Sears and the mail carrier left it by the mailbox. Someone stole it. It wasn't someone from our community, it was someone passing through. In those days everyone left their doors unlocked and we didn't worry about our neighbors. In the late 1960's and early 1970's, human vermin started invading our community. Someone backed a truck up to a neighbor's home and cleaned it out. We had a theft at our home because my siblings were at school and my parents were at work. Everyone in our community started locking everything up and installing alarm systems. My father installed a gate across the entrance to our driveway to keep the human vermin from driving on to our property. It's a shame that human vermin from the cities have invaded rural America. The only way to control them is the way you would deal with any vermin or dangerous predator and that's target practice. ( -_ï½¥) ︻デ•ä¸€ –¸ ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Armed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2017 11:59 AM, Frank wrote:
Theft problem is more serious for packages too big for the box and left
on the porch. Mail carrier as others point out will drive/carry
packages to house. Packages are also delivered by other services like
Fedex. If you don't have to sign for delivery they will just drop on
porch or driveway.

Knock on wood but one of the few problems I've had over the years was
when an Airborne Express driver left a box on the neighbor's woodpile.
His kid found it a couple of days later an brought it over. It was
laptop RAM back when it was going for about $350. I think Airborne is
out of business. If so, good riddance.

One fill-in UPS driver got creative. When I stopped by the warehouse the
super called him up and asked what the hell he did with it. When he
explained what the UPS rulebook said about deliveries she explained that
he better brush up his resume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2017 10:34 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/14/2017 09:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per bob haller:
the central mailbox....

there are some big boxes for oversized stuff, the carrier puts a key
to the over sized box in the recipents usual box.

Surprisingly (to me....) that idea has some appeal: people get to talk
to each other a little bit when they meet while checking mail...

My mail is delivered to a cluster box and it's very seldom I meet
anyone when checking the mail. However I sometimes get to talk to the
neighbors when the low-bid contractor uses his random sorting technique.

I almost paid my neighbor's gas bill one month until I glanced at the
addressee. People here are honest; they don't watch the Netflix DVD's
before bringing them to the proper person.

The USPS Sunday delivery folks are a special breed of stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 5:16:27 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I thought the flag went up with the weight of incoming mail?

Mine has a flag that's connected to the mailbox door. When the door
goes down, the flag goes up.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Mb515b01-Durable-Plastic-Post-mount/dp/B00OOCBCWK

We don't leave outgoing mail out overnight.

Your postmen don't appear at the crack of dawn?

Of course not. They have a route that takes them most of the day
to traverse, so somebody's going to be first, and somebody else
is going to be last. My mail arrives around noon, more or less.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 22:16:14 -0000
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote:

I thought the flag went up with the weight of incoming mail?

always running mouth about things you are clueless on.
Typical of a male that wears a dress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2017 02:53 AM, Bert wrote:

The USPS Sunday delivery folks are a special breed of stupid.

They don't let the real stupid ones out... When I was driving OTR, I'd
sometimes load Avon cosmetics. They used common carriers for the long
haul and the USPS for the final mile delivery. Nothing like arriving at
a USPS facility at 4 AM. Can you say 'sheltered workshop'. I mean that
literally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 19:38:25 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 8:31:03 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It is common in parts of rural Nebraska to have several mailboxes
grouped on
their own posts. It will be up to the ranchers to get their mail from
there.
There isn't delivery to individual houses.
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.

Last time I was in Nevada and Utah driving we'd see signs that just
said Ranch Road 30, etc. They didn't have addresses
like 123 Main Street or RR 10, Box 1.

For years here my postal address was RR2 box 109. They finally
standardized it to the normal grid address.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 03:21:33 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 02/14/2017 02:41 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Years ago neighbor had a cat door and his son came down one morning to
see a raccoon eating cat food. Rabies is endemic here and he was lucky
it was not rabid.

I started leaving my cat door unlocked all the time, but changed to
locking it at night. Raccoons were coming in and making messes.

You can chip your cat so the raccoon can't get in.

--
Do not adjust your mind - the fault is with reality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 03:27:22 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

I've nearly tripped over packages left right in front of my front door
and almost ran over one near the garage.

I've been home when packages are delivered. The mail carrier here
usually doesn't ring the doorbell unless something requires a signature.

Ok if your porch is sheltered from the rain.

--
Do not adjust your mind - the fault is with reality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 03:01:38 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 10:16:46 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 04:49:45 -0000, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

He's trying to make us
believe that everybody that doesn't get their mail through a slot
in the door has Alzhiemers and completely forget to check their
outside mail boxes.

Most people do not bother checking mail every day if it's in a box. But if it's flopped into your hallway, you'll see it.

And you know everyone doesn't check for mail if they have outside
mail boxes how? Are people sending you e-mails saying they don't
check outside boxes? You are walking the streets spying on people
who have outside mail boxes to see if and when they look inside?

Because they've told me.

2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of their house and
forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupid.

Yep! Not too bright when it comes to getting their mail, are they?

Why bother checking it every day if you don't get important mail every day?

Ooooooooh, you KNOW what day(s)you'll be receiving *important*
mail?

No. You misunderstood me completely. Nobody gets important mail every day, so they don't check it every day.

We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years.

My house is 90 years old and so are the surrounding houses.
Every single one has a mail box on the outside, just a step
or two outside the front door. It ain't rocket science to
remember to check to see if you have mail that day.

It's unnecessary. My letters appear inside my house, I see them if they're there. I don't have to go outside, unlock the box, and check to find just junk mail.

Who said anything about a locked box? I guess folks across the pond
don't have screened, security, or storm doors. I have security storm
doors on my house and no way would they be able to get any mail through
those doors.

And your postman can?

Give it up James, you're looking more and more silly with your
continued whines about how things are done in the USA.

I didn't whine, I asked how the system worked, but your stupid answers in this post have proved I should have done.

--
Organisms don't think of CO2 as a poison. Plants and organisms that make shells, coral, think of it as a building block. -- Janine Benyus
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 01:04:24 -0000, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

Even worse, he has to go 0.4 miles to check his own mail?

--
Sat opposite an Indian lady on the train today, she shut her eyes and stopped breathing. I thought she was dead, until I saw the red spot on her forehead and realised she was just on standby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 03:44:22 -0000, rbowman wrote:

[...]

Some postmen here have been stupid enough to put things in the recycling wheelybin. If the bin is collected before the owner spots the package....

--
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can chip your cat so the raccoon can't get in.

And use a door that recognizes the chip? I've heard of locks like that.

--
Do not adjust your mind - the fault is with reality.

That reminds me of one of the shortest stories I've read. The title was
"sign at the end of the universe" and the content was:

This end up

(the sign was upside down)

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We didn't send you to Washington to make intelligent decisions. We sent
you to represent us." [Kent York, Baptist minister to US Rep. Bill
Sarpalius]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 03:27:22 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

I've nearly tripped over packages left right in front of my front door
and almost ran over one near the garage.

I've been home when packages are delivered. The mail carrier here
usually doesn't ring the doorbell unless something requires a signature.

Ok if your porch is sheltered from the rain.

It it well enough except when there's too much wind. Also there's a
hedge so the package isn't visible from the street.

I may want to set up some kind of switch that turns on a light if anyone
steps on the porch. Preferably one that can tell the difference between
delivery people and cats.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We didn't send you to Washington to make intelligent decisions. We sent
you to represent us." [Kent York, Baptist minister to US Rep. Bill
Sarpalius]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 11:50:54 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 5:16:27 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I thought the flag went up with the weight of incoming mail?

Mine has a flag that's connected to the mailbox door. When the door
goes down, the flag goes up.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Mb515b01-Durable-Plastic-Post-mount/dp/B00OOCBCWK

So you can't tell if something is in it for you?

Mine varies, and I sometimes get three postmen (and sometimes a ****ing gorgeous postwoman) during the course of the day. Letters, small parcels, and large parcels are delivered seperately.

--
Confucius say: "Foolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 13:57:36 -0000, bob haller wrote:

the post office wants to move to a big neighborhood box. each home gets its own locked box, as part of a large group of boxes.

this saves tons of time for the carrier,'

i suppose residents could pay to get their mail at their door.

my dad in phoenix gets his mail this way. he is near 90 and enjoys taking his handicap scooter to the central mailbox....

there are some big boxes for oversized stuff, the carrier puts a key to the over sized box in the recipents usual box.

dad seems satisfied

I guess that's one of the disadvantages of living in a wider open space. But then you do get more land to yourself.

--
A blonde was playing Trivial Pursuit one night. It was her turn. She rolled the dice and she Landed on Science & Nature.
Her question was "If you are in a vacuum and someone calls your name, can you hear it?"