Dan Hartung

Default Leveling toilet

Another rental property question. (I always say that because the rental
rehab we acquired had some *sloppy* el-cheapo construction. Wherever I
can I try to improve as I fix.)

The city noted on its inspection a loose toilet (base). There isn't any
obvious leak, and the nuts seem as tight as they can go, but it rocks
front to back as much as 1/4".

Apparently there's a way to level toilets using "metal shims" -- is
there a special kind I should get? Does it matter that they're metal
since it's on top of vinyl flooring and plywood beneath that? If I shim
it should I seal using something like plumber's putty (or would that
conceal and concentrate any rot?). If it isn't leaking, do I need to
take the thing off and replace the wax seal, or should I just do that
anyway?

PrecisionMachinisT

"Dan Hartung" wrote in message
Another rental property question. (I always say that because the rental
rehab we acquired had some *sloppy* el-cheapo construction. Wherever I
can I try to improve as I fix.)

The city noted on its inspection a loose toilet (base). There isn't any
obvious leak, and the nuts seem as tight as they can go, but it rocks
front to back as much as 1/4".

Apparently there's a way to level toilets using "metal shims" -- is
there a special kind I should get? Does it matter that they're metal
since it's on top of vinyl flooring and plywood beneath that? If I shim
it should I seal using something like plumber's putty (or would that
conceal and concentrate any rot?). If it isn't leaking, do I need to
take the thing off and replace the wax seal, or should I just do that
anyway?

I always got them solid onto only three points, well spread out--then they
cant rock......

And with vinyl sheet on the floor, sealed with silicone, the white anti
fungal kind--other floors like concrete, you might use grout, not really
sure.

--

SVL

DanG

Most plumbing stores are now stocking some very small white
plastic shims just made to shim toilet bases. You can also grout
pack them. To make everything look nice a bead of DAP wiped in
with a sponge will look quite professional.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

[...]

Sonic

"Dan Hartung" wrote in message
Another rental property question. (I always say that because the rental
rehab we acquired had some *sloppy* el-cheapo construction. Wherever I
can I try to improve as I fix.)

The city noted on its inspection a loose toilet (base). There isn't any
obvious leak, and the nuts seem as tight as they can go, but it rocks
front to back as much as 1/4".

Apparently there's a way to level toilets using "metal shims" -- is
there a special kind I should get? Does it matter that they're metal
since it's on top of vinyl flooring and plywood beneath that? If I shim
it should I seal using something like plumber's putty (or would that
conceal and concentrate any rot?). If it isn't leaking, do I need to
take the thing off and replace the wax seal, or should I just do that
anyway?

Galvanized washers or loose change works for shims, I've found em all.

Jolt

William W. Plummer

"Dan Hartung" wrote in message
Another rental property question. (I always say that because the rental
rehab we acquired had some *sloppy* el-cheapo construction. Wherever I
can I try to improve as I fix.)

The city noted on its inspection a loose toilet (base). There isn't any
obvious leak, and the nuts seem as tight as they can go, but it rocks
front to back as much as 1/4".

Apparently there's a way to level toilets using "metal shims" -- is
there a special kind I should get? Does it matter that they're metal
since it's on top of vinyl flooring and plywood beneath that? If I shim
it should I seal using something like plumber's putty (or would that
conceal and concentrate any rot?). If it isn't leaking, do I need to
take the thing off and replace the wax seal, or should I just do that
anyway?

The toilet must be supported around its base. Shims will work or you can
use grout because it is hard and does not compress after it sets. Caulk is
wrong. Do not try to tighten down the attaching nuts because you will wind
up either compressing the wax seal to nothing, or you will crack the toilet.
The support must come from what the toilet sets on.

RB

Another way to address this is to mask around the base of the toilet
then remove the toilet. Place a layer of plaster that is thick enough
to level the toilet (not dry wall mud) inside the masking tape. Replace
the wax gasket and reseat the toilet in the wet plaster. After
tightening down the toilet let the plaster harden (over night or a day)
and it will not rock.

This is particularly useful when the toilet is on tile that wasn't
installed properly (all tile top surfaces not co-planar.)

RB

DanG wrote:
[...]

Special Ed

DanG wrote:
Most plumbing stores are now stocking some very small white
plastic shims just made to shim toilet bases. You can also grout
pack them. To make everything look nice a bead of DAP wiped in
with a sponge will look quite professional.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

One problem with sealing a toilet to the floor is if a leak developes on the
bottom of the throne (gasket failure) you might not discover it till you
sustain floor damage.
[...]

Abe

One problem with sealing a toilet to the floor is if a leak developes on the
bottom of the throne (gasket failure) you might not discover it till you
sustain floor damage.
"Dan Hartung" wrote in message

-----------------
Agreed. I always install toilets without caulking around the base for this
very reason.

Dan Hartung wrote:

Another rental property question. (I always say that because the rental
rehab we acquired had some *sloppy* el-cheapo construction. Wherever I
can I try to improve as I fix.)

The city noted on its inspection a loose toilet (base). There isn't any
obvious leak, and the nuts seem as tight as they can go, but it rocks
front to back as much as 1/4".

Apparently there's a way to level toilets using "metal shims" -- is
there a special kind I should get? Does it matter that they're metal
since it's on top of vinyl flooring and plywood beneath that? If I shim
it should I seal using something like plumber's putty (or would that
conceal and concentrate any rot?). If it isn't leaking, do I need to
take the thing off and replace the wax seal, or should I just do that
anyway?

i bought a toilet via home depot and prepared myself to put it in when
it arrived from american standard.... when there i bought the typical
stuff, wax ring, new water supply line and new cut off valve... i also
bought two packs of nylon plastic(think that is what it is) shims about
2 in. long, 1 in wide, and about 1/4 in. thick... a few came in each
pack, but they were pretty cheap.. it was incase the new toilet wanted
to rock.. well i did not use them, but the instructions show that you
just slide them unter the toilet and push them under the void and then
cut off what remains outside the base of the toilet...(pretty good idea
with this plastic).... i would then put some caulking around the bottom
base of the toilet and you will not have any problems..... oh, i used
mine to level an a/c unit.. the unit had to be moved in the back yard on
a new concrete pad and when the a/c man left i found that it could be
rocked a littke... not now with the shims.....