Culligan water softening - salt consumption

Old June 2nd 04, 04:16 PM

Default Culligan water softening - salt consumption

My Culligan water softener uses 240 pounds of salt every 3 months. The
softener is about 10 years old. I set the softener to regenerate 2 times a
week. I've also had the softener repaired to correct random regenerations
(valve mechanism was faulty and replaced). I am a single person and I don't
think I use an unusually large amount of water.

Is this salt consumption normal or excessive?

Thanks much for any input and opinions.

Ken

Old June 2nd 04, 05:47 PM
David Martel

Ken,

Without knowing how hard your water is and what model number you are
using it is difficult to guess how much salt you should be using. But, yes,
80 lbs/mo is excessive. Regenerating twice a week is probably also
excessive. I'd be surprised if you need 40 lbs/mo. Talk to your service man.
he can tell you how much salt you should use per regeneration and how often
you should regenerate.

Good luck,
Dave M.

Old June 2nd 04, 06:10 PM
PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message
My Culligan water softener uses 240 pounds of salt every 3 months. The
softener is about 10 years old. I set the softener to regenerate 2 times

week. I've also had the softener repaired to correct random regenerations
(valve mechanism was faulty and replaced). I am a single person and I

don't
think I use an unusually large amount of water.

Is this salt consumption normal or excessive?

Thanks much for any input and opinions.

I think its broken.

--

SVL

Old June 2nd 04, 06:28 PM
SQLit

wrote in message
My Culligan water softener uses 240 pounds of salt every 3 months. The
softener is about 10 years old. I set the softener to regenerate 2 times

week. I've also had the softener repaired to correct random regenerations
(valve mechanism was faulty and replaced). I am a single person and I

don't
think I use an unusually large amount of water.

Is this salt consumption normal or excessive?

Thanks much for any input and opinions.

Ken

My last softener had a demand setting. I was running it at 17 grains of
softness. Recommended was 20 but I did not like the feel of the water then.
I changed mine over to manual regeneration, a dip switch. I was
regenerating about 2x a month unless I did a lot of laundry. Also living
alone. I bought a bag of salt every 6 months or so

Old June 3rd 04, 04:49 AM

Thanks to all for the insights. I suspect I may be regenerating too often.
I must say I am also disappointed with the Culligan people--I've had them
come out twice to address the concerns about excessive salt consumption and
they haven't answered the question satisfactorily yet, only wanted to
perform fee-generating repairs.

I set the regeneration to once a week and I'll see how the salt consumption
is affected.

Thanks again,
Ken

Old June 6th 04, 11:44 PM
Gary Slusser

wrote in message
My Culligan water softener uses 240 pounds of salt every 3 months. The
softener is about 10 years old. I set the softener to regenerate 2 times

week. I've also had the softener repaired to correct random regenerations
(valve mechanism was faulty and replaced). I am a single person and I

don't
think I use an unusually large amount of water.

Is this salt consumption normal or excessive?

Thanks much for any input and opinions.

Ken

The amount of salt used by a water softener depends on a number of things.
First is the salt dose based on the compensated hardness, volume of water to
be treated and the volume and type of resin used and the TDS and iron
content of the water. Also if the control is a time clock model it will
historically use more salt on average than a demand regenerated type control
valve. The best way to increase salt efficiency is to adjust the salt dose,
not how frequently the unit regenerates unless you are already 'short
salting'. I find most softeners are undersized resin volume wise and that
prevents the option of short salting with the most economical salt dose for
the volume and type of resin used.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2

Old June 6th 04, 11:58 PM
Gary Slusser

wrote in message
My Culligan water softener uses 240 pounds of salt every 3 months. The
softener is about 10 years old. I set the softener to regenerate 2

times
week. I've also had the softener repaired to correct random

regenerations
(valve mechanism was faulty and replaced). I am a single person and I

don't
think I use an unusually large amount of water.

Is this salt consumption normal or excessive?

Thanks much for any input and opinions.

Ken

If you were regenerating twice a week, you'll save 1/2 the salt you were
using but... you may not have soft water for the whole week or totally soft
water for most of the week. You need a water test for hardness if your water
is chlorinated and iron and manganese if you have your own well. Then you
need to find the capacity/volume of resin your softener has and then use a
formula to find out how frequently your softener should regenerate with
different salt doses. The service guy should do this for you free of any
other charges because it is basic to setting up a softener and there's
nothing else that can be done (right) until he knows those things. You
should ask for a refund of the money you've paid them for service calls if
they haven't done that. Although he may have done it and won't/didn't tell
you the figures. I notice you mention him trying to sell you some fix that
you didn't explain. If the resin is worn out it needs to be replaced. Or if
there's something wrong with the control valve it should be fixed.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Kitchen Aid Side-by-side - Water Dispenser/Filter Problem Paula Home Repair 6 October 28th 03 04:03 AM