gord

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

you can get the auto bump which automatically feed the line causing you
much less grief

Shooter Dude

I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

SQLit

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
om...
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

Try getting larger diameter string. I use one size bigger in mine and it
lasts a lot longer.

Toller

I replaced my bump thingy with one that has relatively thick plastic arms.
Works fine.

Roy

Don;t tink I would want to use that type around trees and fences and
foundation walls........but yes they make a head that utilizes a
section of chainsaw chain.

I made my own fixed line push type string trimmer, powered by a 6 1/2
hp engine. I use .105" line and previously I used .080" line on it,
and got a lot more wear and usage thanyou are. It may help to buy a
top quality line, instead of some off market brands such as is sold by
mass marketers that peddle stuff in HOme Depot etc. The line Stihl and
Husky makes is pretty darn good, and even in my hand held trimmer I
get lots of mileage from it. I forget what brand it is offhand, but
its a silver color and has the word titanium in it, but no this line
doesnot have real titanium in it, its a catchall for getting your eye,
but it is some pretty darn good line.

So try changing brands.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:50:43 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

===Don't they make trimmers which use some sort of chain, or am I imagining
===having seen them?
===
==="Shooter Dude" wrote in message
ogle.com...
=== I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
=== 0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
=== (mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
=== usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
=== obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
=== 20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.
===
=== I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
=== heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
=== better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
=== gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
=== of it.
===
=== Thanks for any tips!
===

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
George

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
om...
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

You might want to try a better quality line than you got at home cheepo.

I-zheet M'drurz

George wrote:
"Shooter Dude" wrote in message

Thanks for any tips!

You might want to try a better quality line than you got at home
cheepo.

Bull****. You obviously have some kind of hard-on for The Home
Depot, now tell us about your PhD in Synthetic Polymer Chmistry.

--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

I-zheet M'drurz

wayne wrote:

I used thin aircraft cable worked pretty good!

There ya go! F*#k that wood fence!

--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,
somebody has to pay for it. ($1 Earl)
len gardener

g'day shooter dude,

my brushcutter has a manual feed head, less parts to wear (on it's
second brushcutter now) plus i have better control over line economy.
there is a bit of an art to using nylon line no matter what the
machine, maybe take it a little easier and learn to work the tip of
the nylon, you can still trim grass away from concrete etc.,. and get
quiet quick and good at it just takes a bit of patience and practise.

i tried heavier line in mine at one stage thinking it would help with
heavier work but about all it did was make more work for the motor,
the motor needing to use more torque to spin up the line, it was only
the next size up line, but reckon i do heaps better with the right
size or slightly under size as the machine can spin it up easier and
hold its torque, just needed to back off on the grass load got the job
done probably not much slower. don't know about using chain? but
reckon ther could be all sorts of other problems there.

best thing if you want to be economical on line is to get a manual
head and learn the art of using the the line tip to you benefit.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Vox Humana

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
om...
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

I tried a couple of type of replacements like plastic blades and nothing I
tried held-up so I went back to string.

RoyDMercer

"len gardener" wrote in message
[...]

This is correct. You have to match the line size to the motor. When you
have a bigger motor you can run larger line which prevents having to feed
continuously. I run line size .095 which is recommended for my trimmer. I
only have to feed once or twice for my entire lawn.

len gardener

exactly roy,

the manufacturer will recommend an ideal line size (the size usually
relates to the 'cc' capacity of the motor) so the machine all runs in
balance, then the user needs to take a little tiem in practsing to sue
the line tip for best economy, with practise i found you can get quiet
quick at trimming and not use much line.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Roy

On 13 May 2004 21:59:59 GMT, "I-zheet M'drurz"
wrote:

===wayne wrote:
===
=== I used thin aircraft cable worked pretty good!
===
=== There ya go! F*#k that wood fence!

fence hell, where did the toes go?
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Bob

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot.

First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos like
Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.

Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the crank
shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even the
200 hours for which they are rated. Also, when you let off the throttle
to idle, the string continues to spin. This is because it has no clutch.
Therefore when you walk from the back fence to the front of the house, the
string is rotating - wear and dangerous.

For the least expensive good trimmer, I suggest Echo (probably about $200).
It has a well bearing'ed engine, rated at 1000 hours (and usually lasts
longer if you always use the correct oil/gas mixture). It is well balance
and easy to use. It has a centrigul clutch. You get five time the use for
less than twice the money. There are several good brands such as John
Deere, Huskie, etc that are even better, but you get into some high dollars.
For home use, I'd go with Echo. They will use .095 line and it works
fine.

If you buy something quality, it only hurts one time - when you pay for it.
If you buy something inferior for the cheap price - it hurts every time you
use it.

It uses 0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time.

..08 line is correct for this unit. Don't use anything heavier because it
is harder on the engine (reduces life) and heavier line may not work as
well.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better?

Don't waste your money!!!!!!!

Know it is too late on this trimmer since you already bought it and will
have to suffer with it until it konks out or you get disgustted and sell it
at a garage sale. But it might help on your next one.

Bob

do_not_spam_me

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...

Don't they make trimmers which use some sort of chain, or
am I imagining having seen them?

They were discontinued and maybe even recalled because of their
ability to cut deeply into flesh. String trimmers were originally
invented as a much safer alternative to metal cutters that wouldn't
cause serious injury even to bare feet (don't test this yourself).
dps

Bob wrote:
...First of all - next time you by a [tool], stay away from the cheapos...

For important tools, buy the best you can afford. They will last longer
and do a better job. Caveat: they need maintenance.

Two philosophies on tools for casual use:

Buy a good one (not the best and/or most expensive). It will last longer
and actually have some resale value (assuming it gets maintenance).

For tools that get excessive use or neglect, buy the cheapo. Due to
neglect and hard use, neither the cheapo or the good one will last.

I go through shovels. I used to buy $5 shovels. They last about 2 years
before they break (usually the handles, but yes, I have broken the blade
on a couple). One year I splurged and bought a couple of high end
shovels around $25-30 apiece. They lasted two years. I now buy $5
shovels (although the price has gone to $6 or 7).

Any project worth its salt is an excuse for a new tool.
zxcvbob

Shooter Dude wrote:

I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20 years
ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well. But for
when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with a
lawnmower blade.

[pausing to let that mental image sink in...]

I have no idea what kind of mower would take such a small blade; it's
about 8 inches long, like an edger blade. The lawnmower blade works a
lot better than a saw blade unless I'm trying to cut saplings. Just
last weekend I bought a 9" edger blade that had the right size arbor
hole and I'm experimenting with it. I've sharpened about 3/4" of the
leading edge and it seems to work pretty well, but the steel is softer
than the mower blade so I don't know how well it will stay sharp nor how
long it will last.

A metal blade does a good job around a wood fence because you can see
exactly where the blade is and cut right up close to the fence without
hitting it. I wouldn't try it with a chain-link fence though.

Bob

There you go. I use round-up, no fuss.

That's what i do also.....use RoundUp for trimming
default

I go through shovels. I used to buy $5 shovels. They last about 2 years
before they break (usually the handles, but yes, I have broken the blade
on a couple). One year I splurged and bought a couple of high end
shovels around $25-30 apiece. They lasted two years. I now buy $5
shovels (although the price has gone to $6 or 7).

What are you doing with the shovels that's causing the handles
to break, and isn't there a different tool for doing that?

--Goedjn

dps

default wrote:
...What are you doing with the shovels that's causing the handles
to break, and isn't there a different tool for doing that?

Some of them break from trying to pry rocks out of the New England soil
and some of them get lost in the tall grass and I drive over them with
the tractor (or occasionally the mower). In unusual circumstances, the
handles will rot from being left out in the weather for several years
(those are the ones that last the longest). Shovels get used for quick
fence posts, row markers, wheel chocks and anti-woodchuck implements.
There must be 1001 ways to (ab)use a shovel.

I *did* put them in the class of tool that were abused.
KLM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:40:07 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

I have an el cheapo Weedeater electric cuz' I need to trim only a few
places where the mower cannot get close enough to. While not directly
relevant to this tread on gas trimmers I'll put in my 2 cents about
string sizes. The bump feed doesn't work so I have to pop out the
spool and feed the string. Not a big problem but still a nuisance.
Experimented with a thicker line. I haven't seen a motor smoke that
fast and destroy itself. So I took it apart to see if I can salvage
any useful parts (none). It was obvious the thicker sting caused an
imbalance, melted the fiber or plastic bearing and then seized the
motor. The lesson then is stick to the recommended string weight.
The problem may not show up soon in a motor mounted on bearings but
the imbalance is there and will shorten the life of your trimmer.

Note: I will still buy this model, the smallest and cheapest, cuz' it
suits my needs.

It uses 0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time.

... ...

Hmm thats funny!! I have a Homelite no problems. Straight shaft, head
stops spinning at idle, three years old, Inter changable steel delta
blade or double ended line The string trimmer head uses pre cut lengths
of line and last fairly long as long as you arent doing any heavy
trimming . Try not to trim the concrete ,femce ,trees or other non brush
things. When using the line look to see where you are cutting. start
away from objects then slowly move in watching the cut and you will know
where your line is

... ...

Shovel abuse, Try linseed oil to prolong the life of wooden handles on
all garden tools , A coat of lite oil on metal parts.
In My part of New England We use a pick axe ,mattock or a steel bar
(design for levering rocks) to pry rocks out of the ground.

Bill

Tom Miller

wrote:

| "Shooter Dude" wrote in message
| I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot.
| First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos like
| Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.
|
| Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the crank
| shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even the
| 200 hours for which they are rated.

[snip]

Although I generally agree with you about cheap tools, my Homelite
trimmer is nearly 20 years old. Other than an occasional change of
spark plug, I have had no problems with it whatsoever. Today I started
it for the first time this season and it started on the second pull,
as usual. But the string does break frequently. I also had a small
Homelite chainsaw that lasted more than 20 years, although I did not
use it frequently.
gregpresley

I have an electric weedeater also. Very reliable, but like yours, the bump
feed stopped working almost immediately, so I have to pull out the string by
hand. My yard is so small that after 2 years, I'm still on the first roll of
string.
wrote:

[...]

Bob

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer(Homelite comment)

"Tom Miller" wrote in message :

| First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos

like
| Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.
|
| Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the

crank
| shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even

the
| 200 hours for which they are rated.

[snip]

Although I generally agree with you about cheap tools, my Homelite
trimmer is nearly 20 years old. Other than an occasional change of
spark plug, I have had no problems with it whatsoever. Today I started
it for the first time this season and it started on the second pull,
as usual. But the string does break frequently. I also had a small
Homelite chainsaw that lasted more than 20 years, although I did not
use it frequently.

Right, Nothing wrong with Homelite if you have a small yard and use it
lightly. Just not well designed - poorly constructed - and not made for
real work.

Another thing: On the curved shaft model, notice that the starter pull
rope is below the engine. Not an easy job to replace the rope etc.
Usually runs $30.00 plus parts (that's what I charge).

Now look at the starter pull rope on an Echo or other mid-range trimmer.
Notice it is above the engine on the back. Notice that is is fastened on
with four screws. Most home owners can change this themselves in a few
minutes.

I mention starter pull ropes because that is a common problem.. However,
look at other parts on both types trimmers and imagine how hard or easy it
would be to replace them.

Bob

Roy

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:19:35 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

===
==="Tom Miller" wrote in message :
===
=== | First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos
===like
=== | Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.
=== |
[...]

With all those strikes against it already why even buy or have such a
peice of poorly designed junk in the first place!
===
===Another thing: On the curved shaft model, notice that the starter pull
===rope is below the engine. Not an easy job to replace the rope etc.
===Usually runs $30.00 plus parts (that's what I charge).

Just spend about double the charge for this service and buy a new one,
which is what most folks do to day anyhow, thats why I can pick up
this kind of junk from dumpsters and curbside trash just about every
day. I melt down the aluminum etc.
===
===Now look at the starter pull rope on an Echo or other mid-range trimmer.
===Notice it is above the engine on the back. Notice that is is fastened on
===with four screws. Most home owners can change this themselves in a few
===minutes.

Don't find anywhere near as many Echo,.,Stilh, Husky and other top
grade stuff as I fo Poulan. McCullough, Homelite and Weedeater junk!
===
===I mention starter pull ropes because that is a common problem.. However,
===look at other parts on both types trimmers and imagine how hard or easy it
===would be to replace them.

On some of those el cheapo models of trimmers and chainsaws its
virtually a real PITA to remove even a carb without 90% of everything
else also having to come apart in the process, and its in those hard
to access areas is where most of the problems occur, such as a leaking
carb mount gasket etc etc........Typical of **** poor design without
the aspect of serviceability in mind during the design, as odds are
service was never really intended due to the cheapness of these units.
===
===Bob
===

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

RoyDMercer

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20 years
ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well. But for
when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with a
lawnmower blade.

My echo trimmer (SRM-2400SB) is only 9 years old. I'm glad to hear yours is
still going strong after 20.

Roy

On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:10:49 -0500, "RoyDMercer"
wrote:

==="zxcvbob" wrote in message
=== I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20 years
=== ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well. But for
=== when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with a
=== lawnmower blade.
===
===My echo trimmer (SRM-2400SB) is only 9 years old. I'm glad to hear yours is
===still going strong after 20.
===

I have a Jonsered brush / string trimmer straight shaft, 40cc engine
that has never missed a beat and is close to 25 years old. Wore out
many line heads of various styles, wore out many of the steel brush
blades but have never spent a penny on the machine yet other than air
cleaner and spark plug etc. Starts right up time after time.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
William W. Plummer

wrote:

==="zxcvbob" wrote in message
=== I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20

years
=== ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well.

But for
=== when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with

=== lawnmower blade.
===
===My echo trimmer (SRM-2400SB) is only 9 years old. I'm glad to hear

yours is
===still going strong after 20.
===

I have a Jonsered brush / string trimmer straight shaft, 40cc engine
that has never missed a beat and is close to 25 years old. Wore out
many line heads of various styles, wore out many of the steel brush
blades but have never spent a penny on the machine yet other than air
cleaner and spark plug etc. Starts right up time after time.

I've had a HomeLite SX-135 for about 10 years with no problems whatsoever.

KLM

On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:21:48 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Thanks for the link. I always wanted to make my own equipment and
cast metal.
Tom Miller

On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:54:33 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

| On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:19:35 GMT, "Bob"
| wrote:
|
| ===
| ==="Tom Miller" wrote in message :
| ===
| === | First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos
| ===like
| === | Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.
| === |
| === | Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the
| ===crank
| === | shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even
| ===the
| === | 200 hours for which they are rated.
| ===
| === [snip]
| ===
| === Although I generally agree with you about cheap tools, my Homelite
| === trimmer is nearly 20 years old. Other than an occasional change of
| === spark plug, I have had no problems with it whatsoever. Today I started
| === it for the first time this season and it started on the second pull,
| === as usual. But the string does break frequently. I also had a small
| === Homelite chainsaw that lasted more than 20 years, although I did not
| === use it frequently.
| ===
| ===
| ===Right, Nothing wrong with Homelite if you have a small yard and use it
| ===lightly. Just not well designed - poorly constructed - and not made for
| ===real work.
|
| With all those strikes against it already why even buy or have such a
| peice of poorly designed junk in the first place!
| ===
| ===Another thing: On the curved shaft model, notice that the starter pull
| ===rope is below the engine. Not an easy job to replace the rope etc.
| ===Usually runs $30.00 plus parts (that's what I charge).
|
| Just spend about double the charge for this service and buy a new one,
| which is what most folks do to day anyhow, thats why I can pick up
| this kind of junk from dumpsters and curbside trash just about every
| day. I melt down the aluminum etc.
| ===
| ===Now look at the starter pull rope on an Echo or other mid-range trimmer.
| ===Notice it is above the engine on the back. Notice that is is fastened on
| ===with four screws. Most home owners can change this themselves in a few
| ===minutes.
|
| Don't find anywhere near as many Echo,.,Stilh, Husky and other top
| grade stuff as I fo Poulan. McCullough, Homelite and Weedeater junk!
| ===
| ===I mention starter pull ropes because that is a common problem.. However,
| ===look at other parts on both types trimmers and imagine how hard or easy it
| ===would be to replace them.
|
| On some of those el cheapo models of trimmers and chainsaws its
| virtually a real PITA to remove even a carb without 90% of everything
| else also having to come apart in the process, and its in those hard
| to access areas is where most of the problems occur, such as a leaking
| carb mount gasket etc etc........Typical of **** poor design without
| the aspect of serviceability in mind during the design, as odds are
| service was never really intended due to the cheapness of these units.
| ===
| ===Bob

The point is, boys, that I have had to do NONE of those things in 20
years. So it really doesn't matter how hard or easy it is to repair
because it has not needed a single repair, not by me or by my local
"charge-'em-up" repair shop ($30 for a repair? Dream on!). After 20
years, it owes me nothing. I'm sure an Echo is a better machine, but
how good a trimmer does a typical homeowner really need? Didn't sound
to me like the OP is in the lawncare business.

I buy good machines for jobs that require durable equipment, and
trimming is not one of those situations. The key thing for me is that
the trimmer starts reliably. Sometimes it really doesn't make sense to
buy a Mercedes when you are just driving to the supermarket.