Stormin Mormon

Default A Use for Defunct (small) Propane Tanks

Propane and natural gas run on different pressures. They can
be converted back and forth, but it takes some know how.

There should be a test date for the tank, stamped onto the
handle. It looks something like 5-02. Month and year. The
pressure tests are only good for a couple years. It used to
be 12 years. I think? I'm likely mistaken.

The Fed now requires all filling stations to fill only "OPD"
tanks, which have a triangular valve handle, and an
"overfill protection device". Been required for a couple
years.

You can get infared heaters, cook stove, gas grilles, weed
burners, etc. Camping supplies, and some gear at
www.harborfreight.com

Your biggest challenge is that curbside tanks are usually
the old style, and no one wants to refil them.

If you have a waterfront property, you can tie a weight and
a long rope, paint the tanks, and use them for water marker
buoys. Let the propane out, and then close the valve. Paint
them bright colors. You might also be able to use them for
flotation to keep your dock afloat.

Probably worth $10 a ton for scrapsteel. Wish I was more
optomistic. Sometimes things are in the trash cause they are
not worth anthing.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"MelvinSlankerd" wrote in
message
I see more and more (full) small propane tanks being set out
for haul away. I
have picked up half a dozen of them. I know little or
nothing about them. What
can I use them for? I have lots of gas fittings and some
propane fittings in
cans in my shed. All my barbequing has been with charcoal, I
never used gas or
propane.

Could I hook one of these small tanks (they weigh about 20
or 30 pounds full)
up to gas connect line and run a small natural gas heater
with it? Maybe I
could rig up some flexible hose and walk around my yard
burning up weeds with
it? I don't know. In using these old propane tanks, will it
be necessary to use
regulators and check valves etc...just to say run a 6 foot
rubber hose off of
it to burn weeds? I mean: are they THAT explosive that they
would require a
check valve inline?

Thanks anyone for ideas or suggestions.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

The Fed now requires all filling stations to fill only "OPD"
tanks, which have a triangular valve handle, and an
"overfill protection device". Been required for a couple
years.

No, they do not. At least 12 states have not yet adopted the regulations.
I still get mine filled in CT.
http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=535
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

zxcvbob

wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:32:57 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

I got a whole bunch of the older style tanks, and get more every week.
I got a 500 gallon propane tank in my yard, and I am looking into the
necessary adaptors to fill these tanks. Just because the companies
that fill them are not allowed to refill them, dont mean I can fill my
own tanks. This whole thing was just another conspiracy to sell more
tanks and make someone rich. Same old story !!!! I used the old
style tanks for years and years and never had any trouble with them.
It's mostly the insurance companies that forced the change, so they
can keep collecting money and never have to pay. These are the same
insurance companies who are ruining many other factors in our lives,
all in the name of safety, which has gone to such extremes that pretty
soon no one will be able to do anything.

AFAIK, they can fill propane tanks with the old CGA 510 non-OPD valve if
the capacity is over 40 pounds. There should be no problem with a 500
gallon tank. (I thought those *big* tanks used a different fill valve
anyway.)

Bob

wrote:

[...]

how about one of those tanks that is twice the size of the little one..
i bought one years ago for a steam cleaner and would like to have it
refilled sometime?? can they refill them?????
Richard J Kinch

Stormin Mormon writes:

Probably worth $10 a ton for scrapsteel.

In 40-ton lots, at dockside.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

My point is that as soon as
I can find the proper adaptors, I am going to fill all of my old 20lb
tanks FROM my 500 gallon tank. It will even be cheaper than having
them filled, and because they got the old valves, no one else is
allowed to fill them.

Anyone know where to get the proper adaptors? (I got the end for the
20lb tanks).

I think you need more than just the fittings. Propane is pumped under
pressure to fill the tanks. I don't know the details, but AFAIK, this is
not a simple DIY thing. It is a liquid inside the tank and must be filled
off the bottom of the big tank as the top would be a gas. Investigate more
before you spend any money.
Ed

m Ransley

I refill my small handheld tanks from a 20 lb , i put the pieces-
fittings together from Ace. For small tanks maybe Harbor Freight would
have them but for a large set up just make your own.
May need to have the tank upside down you are filling and it wont fill
more than about half full though.

PJ

wrote in message
On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:19:13 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

AFAIK, they can fill propane tanks with the old CGA 510 non-OPD valve if
the capacity is over 40 pounds. There should be no problem with a 500
gallon tank. (I thought those *big* tanks used a different fill valve
anyway.)

Bo

You missed my point. I CAN get my 500 filled without a problem. and
yes, they do use a different fill valve. My point is that as soon as
I can find the proper adaptors, I am going to fill all of my old 20lb
tanks FROM my 500 gallon tank. It will even be cheaper than having
them filled, and because they got the old valves, no one else is
allowed to fill them. However, they are MY tanks, and if I want to
fill them myself, and for my own use, I will do so, and there isn't a
damn thing anyone can do about it.

Anyone know where to get the proper adaptors? (I got the end for the
20lb tanks).

In order to fill your small tanks, your 500gal has to have a liquid spigot.
My propane provider would not put one on my rental tank, so I bought
my own 300gal tank and installed it myself......Paul

Stormin Mormon

I know what you mean about regs. I'm fairly sure it's still
physically possible for the home stores to fill the tanks,
it's just not legal. Go figure.

Hint: If you put the tank in the freezer, you lower the
pressure in the tank, and so the higher temp outdoor propane
will flow into the small tank by pressure differential.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
news
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Dear Ed,
I'm in NY, and silly old me thought it was a national
thing. Thank you very much for correctin gme.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

No, they do not. At least 12 states have not yet adopted
the regulations.
I still get mine filled in CT.
http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=535
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Stormin Mormon

You may have proactive (acting before the fact) and reactive
(reacting to the fact) backwards.

My fill station used to use a scale to weigh the tanks. I'm
not sure everyone in the nation did.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Retiredff" wrote in message
link.net...

The problem is that, in the U.S., fire protection laws are
proactive, not
reactive. That means laws are made/changed in response to
damage/injury/death.

In this case. you can lay the blame on those who fill tanks
without allowing
room for expansion. This created a situation where, when the
propane
expanded due to heat, a cloud of gas was released, that, in
many cases,
exploded, resulting in people being hurt or killed, and
buildings being
burned.

You don't have to hold a torch to the tank for this to
happen. Good 'ol
sunshine does it for you.

The industry did not police itself, so Uncle Sam stepped in
and did it for
them.

Just because you never had a problem does not mean the
problem doesn't
exist.