TRowe

Default Hot Tub Pump Motor Quits after 2 minutes

Greeting! The pump motor for my hot tub will run for about a minute or
two before stopping, it will then start again about four to six minutes
later. Anybody have any ideas?

I have installed this all myself. I have moved this hot tub a couple
times and have been able to get it to work after a few moves but the last
one has stumped me.

Since it stopped working I have:
- Replace the Control/Heater unit with a Hydro-Quip (Corona, CA) model
HT-600T.
- Replace the motor with a dual speed Hayward
- Replumbed all the plumbing in the heater/pump area of the tub
- Checked the wiring to the tub. It is a 220 service and appears to be
okay.
- Ran a little snack up the tub tubing to make sure it isn't blocked

I have not replaced the pump mechanism (the propeller the motor turns and
its casing).

I'm at wits end. Currently my only guesses a
- Could the pump be binding up causing the pump to overheat and shut off?
I discounted this before because I took the motor and pump into a Hot Tub
shop and they checked it out and said it was okay (but maybe they just
checked the motor?).
- Have I wired the pump incorrectly (which color wire goes to LOW and
which to HIGH?)? BTW, although I have tried to figure out the control to
see if I'm not doing it correctly but I am unable to change the pump from
Low to High speed.
- Could I have an air pocket in the pump? This doesn't make sense
because it pumps well for a minute or so.
- Could there be a blockage in the pipe that feeds the pump? Would that
cause this behavior?

Thanks for your help.

BTW, How much should I expect a house call from a Hot Tub shop to cost?
Gary

some ideas: is it a dual voltage pump ie wired for 220 but your using 110. How
is the ac supply to the tub 14 guage wire on a long run from the service panel
to the tub may cause a problem. Try running it with out the heater connected.
to reduce the load at the tub. Restrictions in inlet and outlet plumbing. hair
or wraped on the pump impelleror shaft.
Regards
Gary
WWW.LIsheds.com
Storage Sheds for the NY tri state area
Mort Guffman

Mine was doing that. Turns out I had the air inlet turned off! I had
never used a hot tub before and I didn't know what the thing did. Soon
as I opened it up so it could suck in air it worked fine.

mort

On Sat, 22 May 2004 14:56:36 -0400, "Dan O."
wrote:

TRowe wrote

The pump motor for my hot tub will run for
about a minute or two before stopping, it
will then start again about four to six minutes
later. Anybody have any ideas?

Sounds like the motor is internally protected and is overheating (for
whatever reason) and cutting out on that protector which eventually
resets once it has a chance to cool then starts up again.

The motor bearings might be 'tight' from wear or leaks, there could be
something in the pump putting strain on it, it could be undersized,
there may be a restriction in one (or more) of the hoses connected to
it or it *may* need some air space around it to allow an internal
cooling fan to cool it during operation. For the latter, check the
installation instructions.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+whirlpool

=?~~~~~~

gerry

On Sun, 23 May 2004 02:30:23 GMT, Mort Guffman
wrote:

Mine was doing that. Turns out I had the air inlet turned off! I had
never used a hot tub before and I didn't know what the thing did. Soon
as I opened it up so it could suck in air it worked fine.

mort

That sounds odd - should work either way. Also, the air inlet really
drives up the heating bill!

gerry

On Sat, 22 May 2004 14:56:36 -0400, "Dan O."

TRowe wrote

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com