Claudia

Default What's a torque wrench?

Actually I know what it is, but I am not sure I am using it correctly.

I replaced a blade on my lawn mower, and I was trying to tighten the bolt to
spec, which is between 400 and 600 ft lbs. Well, I set my torque wrench to
500 ft lbs, and I was hoping to hear the "click" that tells me I got to
destination. But it's been a while since I used a torque wrench, and I am
not sure what I should be hearing anymore. Can you help? When I try to
give it another 1/4 turn I hear something, but it's not a full blown click.
Does this make sense? Yet, I don't want to go any further and overtighten
or even break something

For what it's worth, I was able to unscrew the bolt with the same setting on
the torque wrench. I am thinking that maybe this tells me that if I exerted
more or less the same force to unscrew it as I am in tightening the bolt ...
I should be okay.

Any help is appreciated.

Claudia

Claudia

"RB" wrote in message
| Check you specs again. 400 to 600 ft-lbs torque will shear off most any
| bolt you'll find in a lawn mower. Is it 400 in-lbs?
|
| RB
|
| Claudia wrote:
| Actually I know what it is, but I am not sure I am using it correctly.
|
| I replaced a blade on my lawn mower, and I was trying to tighten the
bolt to
| spec, which is between 400 and 600 ft lbs. Well, I set my torque wrench
| 500 ft lbs, and I was hoping to hear the "click" that tells me I got to
| destination. But it's been a while since I used a torque wrench, and I
am
| not sure what I should be hearing anymore. Can you help? When I try to
| give it another 1/4 turn I hear something, but it's not a full blown
click.
| Does this make sense? Yet, I don't want to go any further and
overtighten
| or even break something
|
| For what it's worth, I was able to unscrew the bolt with the same
setting on
| the torque wrench. I am thinking that maybe this tells me that if I
exerted
| more or less the same force to unscrew it as I am in tightening the bolt
| I should be okay.
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Claudia

Yes, it is inch lbs. See my response to Java Man if interested in this
saga.

thanks

Claudia

I-zheet M'drurz

Claudia wrote:
A whole bunch o' other people wrote:

| I replaced a blade on my lawn mower, and I was trying to
| tighten the bolt to spec, which is between 400 and 600 ft lbs.
| Well, I set my torque wrench to500 ft lbs, and I was hoping to
| hear the "click" that tells me I got to destination.

| That sounds very high to me. If your torque wrench had a 2
| foot handle (which I doubt) it would take 250 lb. of force to
| get 500 ft. lb. of torque.
| Are you sure it isn't 500 INCH pounds??

You are right. The manual calls for "in lbs" not "ft lbs." As
I look at the wrench, I see the "foot" designation, however. I
was naively looking at hundreds of foot lbs instead of (what it
turns out to be) tens of foot lbs. Therefore (wheew!) I must
have set the wrench at 50 ft lbs _not_ 500 ft lbs. I think that
50 ft lbs is equal to 600 in lbs, which is the upper limit shown
in the manual. So, I should be okay.

If you want to crank the living sh*t out of it, sure you will!

Now, if I could just hear that click ...

Back it the fu*k down!...FULL SPEED REVERSE!
Is any of this sinkin' in yet? ( $1 Foghorn Leghorn )

OK, quick easy math he 480 in lbs = 40 ft lbs
You know..."480" as in "something nice and in the middle
of your suggested range."

Loosen it, re-tighten to 40 ft lbs. You'll hear the click.

--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,
Claudia

"xrongor" wrote in message

| "Claudia" wrote in message
| .com...
|
| "Java Man (Espressopithecus)" wrote in message
| ble.net...
| | In article ,
| | says...
| | I replaced a blade on my lawn mower, and I was trying to tighten the
| bolt to
| | spec, which is between 400 and 600 ft lbs. Well, I set my torque
| wrench
| | 500 ft lbs, and I was hoping to hear the "click" that tells me I got
| | destination.
| |
| | That sounds very high to me. If your torque wrench had a 2 foot
| | handle (which I doubt) it would take 250 lb. of force to get 500 ft.
| | lb. of torque.
| |
| | Are you sure it isn't 500 INCH pounds??
| |
| | Rick
|
| You are right. The manual calls for "in lbs" not "ft lbs." As I look
at
| the wrench, I see the "foot" designation, however. I was naively
looking
| at
| hundreds of foot lbs instead of (what it turns out to be) tens of foot
| lbs.
| Therefore (wheew!) I must have set the wrench at 50 ft lbs _not_ 500 ft
| lbs.
| I think that 50 ft lbs is equal to 600 in lbs, which is the upper limit
| shown in the manual. So, I should be okay.
|
| Now, if I could just hear that click ...
|
| its unclear whether or not you have taken previously given advice. set
the
| thing to 1 foot pound. something low so you dont have to mess around.
if
| it doesnt click or snap or otherwise easily identify when you've put the
| proper force on it, its broken.
|
| randy

I have not yet set it to a lower torque.

Thanks.

Claudia

jim

Claudia wrote:

[...]

the bolt that holds on the blade on a lawnmower is nothing close to
500 lbs... its more like 80-100 ft. lbs... if you hear a noise when
cranking it up to 500 ft. lbs. its probably the bolt breaking........
TCS

On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:51:16 GMT, jim wrote:
Claudia wrote:

[...]

500 ft-lbs doesn't sound that unbelievable. That's about the same torque as an
axle bolt on a car.

80-100 ft-lbs is like the torque on a car's wheel's nut; that's not enough for
the blade of a lawnmower!
George E. Cawthon

Claudia wrote:

[...]

No way is the spec anywhere near 400 foot pounds. With a 4 foot
handle, you would still need to exert a 100 pound force. You would
need to be a monster woman to get 400 foot pounds with a regular 1/2"
torque wrench with an 18" handle. The nut on the mower blade should
tightened to something like 40-50 foot-pounds.

To answer your question most just give a little "click" and that tells
you to stop pulling. en you don't pull any harder. You don't need a
torque wrench anyway. Take a 50 pound sack of anything and lift it
with one hand. If you can, use a 12 inch handled 1/2" socket wrench
on that nut and pull it as hard as you can with one hand. If you
can't lift a sack with one hand, then use two on the wrench.
George E. Cawthon

Claudia wrote:

"Java Man (Espressopithecus)" wrote in message
ble.net...
| In article ,
| says...
| I replaced a blade on my lawn mower, and I was trying to tighten the
bolt to
| spec, which is between 400 and 600 ft lbs. Well, I set my torque wrench
| 500 ft lbs, and I was hoping to hear the "click" that tells me I got to
| destination.
|
| That sounds very high to me. If your torque wrench had a 2 foot
| handle (which I doubt) it would take 250 lb. of force to get 500 ft.
| lb. of torque.
|
| Are you sure it isn't 500 INCH pounds??
|
| Rick

You are right. The manual calls for "in lbs" not "ft lbs." As I look at
the wrench, I see the "foot" designation, however. I was naively looking at
hundreds of foot lbs instead of (what it turns out to be) tens of foot lbs.
Therefore (wheew!) I must have set the wrench at 50 ft lbs _not_ 500 ft lbs.
I think that 50 ft lbs is equal to 600 in lbs, which is the upper limit
shown in the manual. So, I should be okay.

Now, if I could just hear that click ...

Now that you have the right amount, set the wrench to 10 foot-pounds
and pull, you should hear a click. If it does click, move it up in
steps and keep listening for the click. If you don't hear the click
at 10 pound or 20 pound setings, then the torque wrench is most likely
ruined and not functioning. Just pull hard on it and you will get the
torque close enough.

Tom

Scrutinizer wrote:80-100 ft-lbs is like the torque on a car's wheel's nut;
that's not enough
for
the blade of a lawnmower!

Sure it is. More than enough. Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....
Terry Cano

That's pretty high...
400 ft lbs is a lot.......
It will be a click....back off after you think you hear the click and pull
it up again slowly
to make sure it clicked

Terry

"Claudia" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

jim

Claudia wrote:

[...]

well read the original posters added on comments that he/she looked at
the scale wrong on the wrench and it was 500 in.lbs of torque....
well at 500/12 = 41.6 lbs. of torque that is why his wrench clicked as
he easily reached the set torque... and i still stand by the statement
of 500 ft. lbs. of torque on a lawmower is way too much.... the flywheel
bolts on cars is only set at about 150 lbs. of torque... and that's
pretty tight....
Doug Miller

In article , TCS wrote:

500 ft-lbs doesn't sound that unbelievable.

Yes, it does. 500 in-lbs is believable, but 500 ft-lbs is not.

That's about the same torque as an axle bolt on a car.

No, it's about two to three times the torque on *anything* on a car.

80-100 ft-lbs is like the torque on a car's wheel's nut; that's not enough for
the blade of a lawnmower!

Nonsense. That's too much for a lawnmower blade, actually: the bolts are
smaller than wheel lugs on a car, and made of softer steel besides. For
mower blades, 40-60 ft-lbs is more like it; the spec on my John Deere STX-38
is 55, for example.

That may be a bit high for cars with aluminum-alloy wheels, too...
Doug Miller

In article , jim wrote:

well read the original posters added on comments that he/she looked at
the scale wrong on the wrench and it was 500 in.lbs of torque....
well at 500/12 = 41.6 lbs. of torque that is why his wrench clicked as
he easily reached the set torque... and i still stand by the statement
of 500 ft. lbs. of torque on a lawmower is way too much.... the flywheel
bolts on cars is only set at about 150 lbs. of torque... and that's
pretty tight....

Not only that... the bolts that hold mower blades in place aren't all that
big. It's _physically_impossible_ to tighten one to 500 ft-lbs, because the
bolt would shear _long_ before it reached that torque.

Jeff Wisnia

Art wrote:

Not necessarily true. Some torque wrenches require that you approach the
correct torque for the click to occur. If you have already exceeded it it
will never occur.

You seem to be saying that if a bolt has already been tightened 50 foot
pounds and I put a torque wrench on it set to click at 30 foot pounds
and then start pulling on the wrench, I *won't* get a click when I reach
30 foot pounds of torque?

That would take a pretty smart wrench, wouldn't it?

Or, did you just miswrite what you meant to say?

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Doug Miller

In article , Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Art wrote:

Not necessarily true. Some torque wrenches require that you approach the
correct torque for the click to occur. If you have already exceeded it it
will never occur.

You seem to be saying that if a bolt has already been tightened 50 foot
pounds and I put a torque wrench on it set to click at 30 foot pounds
and then start pulling on the wrench, I *won't* get a click when I reach
30 foot pounds of torque?

That would take a pretty smart wrench, wouldn't it?

Or, did you just miswrite what you meant to say?

On my torque wrench, if you ignore the click and keep pulling, it does not
click a second time. Perhaps this is the behavior he was attempting to
describe. The statement is nonsense in almost any other context.
Art

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
Art wrote:

Not necessarily true. Some torque wrenches require that you approach

the
correct torque for the click to occur. If you have already exceeded it

it
will never occur.

You seem to be saying that if a bolt has already been tightened 50 foot
pounds and I put a torque wrench on it set to click at 30 foot pounds
and then start pulling on the wrench, I *won't* get a click when I reach
30 foot pounds of torque?

That would take a pretty smart wrench, wouldn't it?

Or, did you just miswrite what you meant to say?

On my torque wrench, if you ignore the click and keep pulling, it does not
click a second time. Perhaps this is the behavior he was attempting to
describe. The statement is nonsense in almost any other context.

Or if a mechanic first uses a regular wrench then checks the torque and he
previously overtorqued it with the regular wrench, the torque wrench will
never click. That is how a torque wrench I own works according to its
instructions. You must approach the correct torque with the torque wrench.
It cannot detect an already overtorqued nut.

Doug Miller

In article .net, "Art" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
Art wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I don't buy that. How does the torque wrench know the difference
between these two situations?

a) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set
point as the nut turns slowly, approaching the correct torque

b) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set
point as the nut remains stationary, having already been tightened beyond the
correct torque

What model of torque wrench is this, that is smart enough to tell the
difference between the two situations? You say that's how it works "according
to the instructions". Have you actually tested it, to see if that's how it
works _in_practice_? Please post the section of the instructions that
describes this amazing behavior.
Claudia

wrote:

| "Doug Miller" wrote in message
| y.com...
| In article , Jeff Wisnia
| wrote:
| Art wrote:
|
| Not necessarily true. Some torque wrenches require that you
approach
| the
| correct torque for the click to occur. If you have already exceeded
it
| it
| will never occur.
|
| You seem to be saying that if a bolt has already been tightened 50
foot
| pounds and I put a torque wrench on it set to click at 30 foot pounds
| and then start pulling on the wrench, I *won't* get a click when I
reach
| 30 foot pounds of torque?
|
| That would take a pretty smart wrench, wouldn't it?
|
| Or, did you just miswrite what you meant to say?
|
| On my torque wrench, if you ignore the click and keep pulling, it does
not
| click a second time. Perhaps this is the behavior he was attempting to
| describe. The statement is nonsense in almost any other context.
|
| Or if a mechanic first uses a regular wrench then checks the torque and
he
| previously overtorqued it with the regular wrench, the torque wrench will
| never click. That is how a torque wrench I own works according to its
| instructions. You must approach the correct torque with the torque
wrench.
| It cannot detect an already overtorqued nut.
|
| Sorry, I don't buy that. How does the torque wrench know the difference
| between these two situations?
|
| a) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set
| point as the nut turns slowly, approaching the correct torque
|
| b) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set
| point as the nut remains stationary, having already been tightened beyond
the
| correct torque
|
| What model of torque wrench is this, that is smart enough to tell the
| difference between the two situations? You say that's how it works
"according
| to the instructions". Have you actually tested it, to see if that's how it
| works _in_practice_? Please post the section of the instructions that
| describes this amazing behavior.

I am finding out more about torque wrenches than I had intended. LOL Now
boys, keep the discussion civil, ok?

Claudia

I-zheet M'drurz

Claudia wrote:

I am finding out more about torque wrenches than I had intended.
LOL

That could be the understatement of the century gt

Now boys, keep the discussion civil, ok?

Whole bunch of people on Usenet with not a whole lot to do, lots
of time on their hands, if'n you get my drift.

It's best to get in, get your answer, and bail out. Eventually,
this thread will spawn 1 or 2 flame wars and at least one
discussion of the election and the war in the middle east.

Run now while the gettin' is good!

--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,
somebody has to pay for it. ($1 Earl)
George E. Cawthon

wrote:
Art wrote:

[...]

Huh? Sure it will. If the nut doesn't turn (torqued higher than the
wrench is set for), the torque wrench clicks when your pull exceeds
the torque it is set for. Set a wrench for 50 foot pounds and pull on
a nut that is torqued any amount higher than 50 foot pounds and it
will click. The click tells you that the nut is torqued at or more
than 50 foot pounds.

Of course you are right, the click doesn't tell you anything about the
torque of the nut, unless you keep setting the wrench higher and when
it finally moves the nut you know the torque WAS the previous setting.
Stormin Mormon

she's talking about a mower blade, which oughta be pretty
heavy torque.

500 inch pounds -- that would be 500 divided by 12, which is
about 45, or so. Not near a calculator. 45 is believable for
a mower blade bolt.

Briggs tends to be on with a 9/16 bolt head (what's that,
like 3/8-16?) and so that's doable.

Tecumseh tend to be a larger nut (15/16?) and that might go
more like 75 ft pounds, my guess.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If your torque wrench had a 2 foot
handle (which I doubt) it would take 250 lb. of force to get
500 ft.
lb. of torque.

Are you sure it isn't 500 INCH pounds??

Rick

Art

It is an inch pound torque wrench and yes, unfortunately it was tested by
overtorquing and ruining a bunch of expensive fasteners that were already
past the measurement point due to an unsupervised inexperienced worker. I
didn't consider it a feature..... I considered it a design flaw..... but I
guess from an engineers point of view it is a feature since the torque
wrench cannot be blamed for the mis-measurement and over torquing. Lack of
proper use caused the problem. It was made by SK Handtool Corporation
http://www.skhandtool.com/ though I don't see the exact model in their
on-line catalog. It is 2 years old. Just dug it out of my garage so I
could answer your post. The instruction explicitly say to never torque a
fastener that is already tightened. Loosen it first. In our experience if
you don't do that with this model wrench it will never click.

wrote:
Art wrote:

[...]

Doug Miller

In article k.net, "Art" wrote:
It is an inch pound torque wrench and yes, unfortunately it was tested by
overtorquing and ruining a bunch of expensive fasteners that were already
past the measurement point due to an unsupervised inexperienced worker.

In other words, it's broken.

I didn't consider it a feature..... I considered it a design flaw..... but I
guess from an engineers point of view it is a feature since the torque
wrench cannot be blamed for the mis-measurement and over torquing. Lack of
proper use caused the problem.

Yep. Lack of proper use.

It was made by SK Handtool Corporation
http://www.skhandtool.com/ though I don't see the exact model in their
on-line catalog. It is 2 years old. Just dug it out of my garage so I
could answer your post. The instruction explicitly say to never torque a
fastener that is already tightened. Loosen it first. In our experience if
you don't do that with this model wrench it will never click.

Did you ever try that with a new one, that hadn't been abused?

wrote:
Art wrote:

[...]

Art

It is working exactly as designed. If you tighten the item with it it
clicks when torqued correctly. If the item is already overtightened it is
useless as it should be. It is designed to get you to the correct torque.
It is not designed to tell you that the fastener is torqued greater than it
was supposed to be.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article k.net, "Art"