TCS

Default Strange electrical problem, outdoor motion light and indoor ceiling fan switch

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:38:55 GMT, oo Mike oo wrote:
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure this one out.
I have a motion detection light outdoors on the back deck, just off
the living room, the switch is just inside the door. The living room
also has a ceiling fan on the same circuit. The ceiling fan switch is
on the other side of the room.

When I change settings on the ceiling fan it toggles the motion
detector light off or on.

It's putting a noise spike on the line and getting picked up by the motion
detector's circuitry.

Probably the easiest solution is to try to get a motion detector that's
less of a piece of ****.

Maybe a noise suppressor on the fan.

I would guess that the CF switch is somehow interrupting the power to
the rest of the circuit briefly, enough time to act as if the outside
lights switch were toggled off then on.

Does it sound like a defective fan switch? Outside fixture is new.

Thanks,
Mike

TCS

On Sun, 16 May 2004 20:53:41 GMT, oo Mike oo wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:30:31 -0500, TCS
wrote:
It's putting a noise spike on the line and getting picked up by the motion
detector's circuitry.

Probably the easiest solution is to try to get a motion detector that's
less of a piece of ****.

Maybe a noise suppressor on the fan.

Any suggestions for a better MD light. How does one determine a POS
motion detector? Seems like all the one's I've ever seen are
Heath/Zenith. From what I've read here, it seems like they change
their circuitry on a monthly basis.

That would be an interesting feat considering heath has been out of business
for over ten years.

Spend more than $15 for the thing and you should be OK. Most of the ones
that aren't extreme junk have RFI suppression circuitry to prevent exactly
the kind of false alarms you're experiencing.
Jim Elbrecht

TCS wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2004 20:53:41 GMT, oo Mike oo wrote:

-snip-

Any suggestions for a better MD light. How does one determine a POS
motion detector? Seems like all the one's I've ever seen are
Heath/Zenith. From what I've read here, it seems like they change
their circuitry on a monthly basis.

That would be an interesting feat considering heath has been out of business
for over ten years.

-snip-

I'm not sure if Desa is the manufacturer or the distributor, but they
seem to the only people that carry Heath/Zenith online.
http://www.desatech.com/heath/

Unfortunately they don't have a retailer in my area other than Home
Depot and Lowes & neither of them stock the SL4100 motion detector
that I've decided I want. [It's a Dual Brite motion detector that sits
between the lamp & post]

Jim