Kenmore Water Softener leaking water in brine tank

Old May 15th 04, 04:20 AM
Gary Sweeten

Default Kenmore Water Softener leaking water in brine tank

I have a Kenmore Deluxe Demand water softener (model 625.348591, 5
years old) that is leaking water into the brine tank when in service
mode. The regeneration cycle appears to be working fine. But in
service mode it looks like water is leaking from the main valve
assembly into the tank. After a few days, the tank fills up and water
leaks on the garage floor through the overflow drain.

The nozzle and venturi look okay. No clogging or dirt.

Is this a simple valve gasket problem or does it look like a more
serious problem? Anybody have a similar problem like this?
Old May 22nd 04, 09:16 PM
Ed

Very similar to my problem. How did you determine if it's from the
main valve and not the resin tank? I have read that the seal kit for
the main valve is about $40, but the resin tank is $400, so it's kind
of important. Ours is a little over 10 years old, model 625.348732.

Ed

Old May 25th 04, 05:18 AM
Gary Sweeten

Initially it looked like the leak was only at the outlet side of the
main valve where it connected to the bypass valve (a single plastic
bypass valve manifold). It was dripping out directly below the plastic
clips that hold the valve to the bypass valve, which made it look like
the o-rings were mal-functioning.

After replacing the o-rings on both the inlet and outlet side and
slowly bringing the system back up to pressure, now, both the inlet
and outlet sides were leaking. (This is pretty typical for my repair
projects. Things usually get worse. Then I'm pressured to pay
someone to do what I know I could have done myself.) I used the
correct size o-rings, and I inspected the valve prior to reconnecting
for cracks. But I'm not sure I would have seen them without pressure
on the system.

Anyway, now I have dripping inlet and outlet ports on the main valve
and I'm not sure what to do now.

Gary

(Ed) wrote in message .com...
[...]

Water Softener not pulling much Brine Lex Home Repair 3 May 17th 04 02:24 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM