DanG

Default How to remove a keyless chuck

Milwaukee, Albrecht, and Rohm will be interested in your theories
about keyless chucks.

To remove yours, you will need to remove the set screw in the
bottom of the chuck ( if it is a reversible drill, it will have
one). It is probably hex drive (Allen). Once it is removed, get
the largest Allen wrench you own, preferably 3/8" or larger.
Tighten the drill chuck on the short leg of the Allen wrench. Use
a block of 2x4 or a hammer to strike the end of the long leg of
the Allen wrench in a counterclockwise direction when looking at
the chuck end of the drill. It may take several sharp, hard blows
but will loosen the threads to allow you to spin the chuck off.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
I have an almost new Black & Decker corded drill. I love the

drill
itself, but that keyless chuck has to go. I hate those frikkin
things. It seems like almost all drills got them these days,

and
while they might be fine for the average guy that drills a few

1/8"
holes in a sheetrock wall for handing pictures, they do not hold

1/4" bit to drill thru 1/4 steel, or a 3/4" wood bit. All those

damn
things do is burn the skin off my hands. Give me a TOOL, not a

TOY.
Real tools (drills), have KEYS for their chucks.

Now that I got that off my chest, I just bought a keyed check.

The
only problem is that I cant figure out how to get that damn

keyless
chuck off the drill. There's no screw inside like a keyed one.
Before I take this chuck to the bench grinder and grind the

S.O.B. off
the drill, does anyone have any idea how to remove it?

Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I have an almost new Black & Decker corded drill. I love the drill
itself, but that keyless chuck has to go. I hate those frikkin
things.

The problem is not the chuck, it is the label on the drill. Get a real
drill and it will have a better made chuck that will do what it is supposed
to do. B & D stopped making tools many years ago when they found the toy
market more lucrative.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

HRL

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

I have an almost new Black & Decker corded drill. I love the drill
itself, but that keyless chuck has to go. I hate those frikkin
things.

The problem is not the chuck, it is the label on the drill. Get a real
drill and it will have a better made chuck that will do what it is supposed
to do. B & D stopped making tools many years ago when they found the toy
market more lucrative.
Ed

They seem to be doing quite well with their DeWalt line.
Joe Bobst

They seem to be doing quite well with their DeWalt line.

Made in Japan...oh well, everything's international these days.

Joe
HRL

Joe Bobst wrote:
They seem to be doing quite well with their DeWalt line.

Made in Japan...oh well, everything's international these days.

Joe

Right. Probabaly Makita with a different name plate. B&D found their
professional quality tools were not selling because they looked almost
like the cheap ones. So they colored them and used the name (DeWalt) of
the little company they had bought several years before. Only
connection I see is their "Serviced by Black and Decker" label.

Their B&D brand is probably made in China.

Edwin Pawlowski

"HRL" wrote in message

They seem to be doing quite well with their DeWalt line.

Yes, I own some DeWalt tools. If you look at the drills, the chuck is far
better than the B & D ones. Of course, the drill is $200 instead of $50 so
you should be getting much more.

The B & D stuff is now made for Joe or Mary Homeowner that uses the drill
maybe once a year. Many years ago it was the stuff professionals used
because of the high quality. That changed probably 15 years ago, maybe
more.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jeff Wisnia

DanG wrote:

Milwaukee, Albrecht, and Rohm will be interested in your theories
about keyless chucks.

To remove yours, you will need to remove the set screw in the
bottom of the chuck ( if it is a reversible drill, it will have
one).

snipped

I'm curious, just what part of the OP's saying, "There's no screw inside
like a keyed one." didn't you get?

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

DanG

Jeff, if it is reversible, it will have one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

DanG wrote:

Milwaukee, Albrecht, and Rohm will be interested in your

theories
about keyless chucks.

To remove yours, you will need to remove the set screw in the
bottom of the chuck ( if it is a reversible drill, it will

have
one).

snipped

I'm curious, just what part of the OP's saying, "There's no

screw inside
like a keyed one." didn't you get?

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of

someone
to blame it on."

Jeff Wisnia

DanG wrote:
Jeff, if it is reversible, it will have one.

I concur of course. I just thought that you should have stressed that
point to the OP and advised him to look inside his drill's fully opened
chuck again.

And, most (maybe all) of those chuck screws I've encountered have left
hand threads, the OP might not think about it being left hand and bugger
up the screw trying to remove it "lefty loosey." (Now I've told him, if
he's reading this...)

Best Regards,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

David Efflandt

On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:31:58 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"HRL" wrote in message

They seem to be doing quite well with their DeWalt line.

Yes, I own some DeWalt tools. If you look at the drills, the chuck is far
better than the B & D ones. Of course, the drill is $200 instead of $50 so
you should be getting much more.

I have a DeWalt cordless drill and its keyless chuck works very well
(ratchets tight without spinning the chuck). On the other I have used a
Sears drill that needs pair of Channel-Lok pliers to keep larger bits from
slipping in the keyless chuck.

It amuses me when people think that the lowest price is the best bargain,
when sometimes spending a little more will more than offset the cost in
durability and satisfaction (better function). I forget how much more my
DeWalt drill was than a B&D, but it came with 2 batteries, a case, 3 gear
speeds, variable speed reversing, multiple torqe settings for screws, and
brake (maybe why the keyless chuck works well one handed).

HRL

"HRL" wrote in message

[...]

The point is that DeWalt is a B&D product. It is what they used to call
their Professional line with black cases that looked almost like their
cheap ones. They were not selling well so they changed the color and
name and are doing quite well.

You really have to search the B&D site to find any reference of DeWalt.
There is a story that when B&D came out with the DeWalt line that the
President of B&D was standing by a DeWalt Display at a tool show in Las
Vegas. Someone who knew him came by, pointed at the display and said
words something like "These people are going to bury you". The
president only smiled.
RB

You'd be amazed at how many folks think that DeWalt is a good tool
manufacturer. Try batteries made by Saft. Then you'll throw DeWalt
overboard. There's more to quality than price.

RB

"HRL" wrote in message

[...]

Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:00:57 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

DanG wrote:

Jeff, if it is reversible, it will have one.

I concur of course. I just thought that you should have stressed that
point to the OP and advised him to look inside his drill's fully opened
chuck again.

And, most (maybe all) of those chuck screws I've encountered have left
hand threads, the OP might not think about it being left hand and bugger
up the screw trying to remove it "lefty loosey." (Now I've told him, if
he's reading this...)

Best Regards,

Jeff

Yes, this is the OP. Thanks.....
The problem is that after getting a magnifying glass (my bad eyesite
still does not let me see which it is), it appears the screw is a hex
or torx. I dont have any torx that will fit in there, only tips for a
universal screwdriver. Hex wont fit unless they are metric. I guess
it's off to the ahrdware store today, and the drill goes along for the
trip. Why cant they just use normal screws?

To give the devils their due, they probably use a hex(or maybe torx)
socket headed screw because that makes it easy for the installer to
stick it on the driver and get it started down inside the chuck without
it falling off the tool.

Same goes for loosening it without the driver slipping and buggering the
screw head.

As Confucious reportedly said, "When rape is inevitable, lie back and
try and enjoy it." A few bucks spent on equipping yourself with metric
hand tools will be money well spent. Since most manufactured stuff we
buy nowadays isn't made in the USA, you just gotta go with the flow and
get the right tools.

I hate torx anything,
and hex aint much better. I do know one thing, once that screw is
out, I'm replacing it with a standard screw (if I can buy a reversed
thread one).

To each his own....

Good Luck,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have no problem with the church. It's the &@$#%ing clutch. The clutch is stuck in the lowest tourgue position and when I strike the hex key there is no resistance to the impact. Because of that I can't remove the Chuck to get at the two screws holding the clutch on the drill, inorder to repair/replace it. Can anyone help me with this or should I just "Chuck" the whole drill and get a new one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hate this spell checker too. Although I don't have any problem with the church I fail to see what that has to do with my drill? The word was CHUCK for god's sake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another Lazarus thread.

I have two drills, a Black and Decker and a Bosch. I use the right tool for the job at hand.

(I use the Bosch when I need it, the B&D is to loan out when somebody borrows it)

Craftsman drill keyless chuck removal HDH Home Repair 19 April 26th 21 10:08 PM
Keyless chuck D Moss Home Repair 6 December 29th 03 04:57 PM
magnetic chuck problem Kenneth W. Sterling Metalworking 3 August 30th 03 06:37 PM