Sickening sweet smell in basement. Dead mouse????

Old April 21st 04, 09:32 PM
Dirk Puslich

Default Sickening sweet smell in basement. Dead mouse????

Hello,

I just moved into an old house (build in the 1920s) with a finished
basement (finished about 10 years ago).

About a month ago we noticed a sickly sweet smell around the back
wall. It doesn't smell musty, but it is quite strange and we don't
like it. It seems to almost go away and then come back stronger
sometimes.

The former owner had some mouse poison out so my theory is that one or
more mice might have died in the wall and are causing the funk.

My problem is that I don't know what a dead mouse smells like, so I'm
not sure if that is it. It's hard to describe the smell but there is
definitely a "sweetness" to it, but not a "mmm someone's making pie"
kind of sweet, but one that is somehow unpleasant.

My 2 questions:

1) Is this a dead animal in my wall perhaps?

2) Anyone have any idea how long it will last?

It's driving me nuts so I'm thinking about busting holes in the
drywall this weekend.

Thanks!
Old April 21st 04, 10:16 PM
dadiOH

Dirk Puslich wrote:
My 2 questions:
=20
1) Is this a dead animal in my wall perhaps?

Rotting meat does *NOT* smell sweet. You've never smelled same?

--=20
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old April 21st 04, 10:19 PM
Speedy Jim

Dirk Puslich wrote:

[...]

I would hold off on busting any holes.

Smells like that are hard to pinpoint. Sometimes sewer gas
odors give a sickly sweet or sweet/sour smell (at least to my nose).
That particular odor seems to be less likely on septic systems.

Also, sewer gas odors may come and go depending on wind conditions
which affect the air pressures in the stack.

Have you looked for any floor drains with dried out traps?
Floor drains need to be refilled with water every few months.

Jim
Old April 21st 04, 10:42 PM
Joe Bobst

About a month ago we noticed a sickly sweet smell around the back wall.

Oddly enought, bedbug infestations are said to have that odor. Do a Google
search for articles relating to this. Other bugs might also do similar. HTH

Joe

Old April 22nd 04, 10:11 AM
Dirk Puslich

Someone also suggested that it could be mouse urine, possibly in the
insulation. Does anyone know what mouse pee smells like? One poster
on another board said it has a "sweet" odor to it.

Old April 22nd 04, 06:03 PM
[email protected]

In article , (Dirk Puslich) wrote:
Someone also suggested that it could be mouse urine, possibly in the
insulation. Does anyone know what mouse pee smells like? One poster
on another board said it has a "sweet" odor to it.

Probably not unless the mice are diabetic. Mouse pee smells pretty much like
any other kind of pee.

It could be stashed food, or rotting cellulose insulation, or some peculiar
type of mold, too.

Looks like it's time for someone to invent an electronic stench identifier..
Either that, or a scratch&sniff sampler of common offenders....

--Goedjn

Old April 22nd 04, 09:51 PM
Jim Elbrecht

" wrote:

-snip-
Looks like it's time for someone to invent an electronic stench identifier..

Voila! http://www.iit.edu/~jrsteach/enose.html and
http://www.nose-network.org/

Either that, or a scratch&sniff sampler of common offenders....

My LP gas company set me a sample of the additive they were using in
my gas. That was fun. . . 'Honey-- what do you think of this
perfume?' g

If this new homeowner has any gas coming into his house-- either LP or
natural- and is not familiar with the smell, he should ask his utility
for a sample. Gas is not to be trifled with. i wouldn't call it a
sweet smell, but there have been several other odors mentioned in this
thread that were described as sweet that I wouldn't call sweet
either.]

Jim