Naugahyde

Default Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green

From a track record on Google groups, this looks like a good place to
start posting this question.

We have a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator with ice and water
dispensor that we purchased 2 years ago. We have never changed the
water filter. The water isn't slow coming out nor has the ice
dispensor depleated in production. The water tastes great... no
chlorine flavor. We use it very regularly - probably about 1/2 a
gallon+ a day. The filter light is still GREEN.

The manual states that you should change the filter when the light
turns red, then mentions that should happen between 6 and 9 months. My
wife is insisting that the light is not working since it has never
turned yellow or red (in 2 years). But then I point out that the water
tastes good and isn't slow coming out.

There is one more thing. A month after we bought it, the fridge was
leaking water on the floor underneath it anytime we tried to use the
water dispensor. One of Sears' technicians came in and fixed that
issue. I doubt he bypassed the filter since I just pulled it out to
show my wife and water came out of it. The water had a slight grey
tone to it, but I don't see any grey color to the water we drink or to
the ice.

My wife called Sears and told them what was going on. They wanted to
charge $40 just to send out a technician since it's out of warranty.
My wife explained that they were losing money on water filters since I
refuse to buy one until either the water tastes chlorinated or the
light turns red. The Sears lady just said nothing for a while then
asked "well what do you want ME to do about it?"

Please advise.

Thanks.
Bri

Bri Gipson

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:15:24 -0400, "Dan O."
wrote:

Naugahyde wrote in message ...

We have a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator
with ice and water dispensor that we purchased
2 years ago. We have never changed the water
filter. The water isn't slow coming out nor has the
ice dispensor depleated in production. The water
tastes great... no chlorine flavor. We use it very
regularly - probably about 1/2 a gallon+ a day.
The filter light is still GREEN.

The manual states that you should change the filter
when the light turns red, then mentions that should
happen between 6 and 9 months. My wife is
insisting that the light is not working since it has
never turned yellow or red (in 2 years). But then I
point out that the water tastes good and isn't
slow coming out.

You may not be able to tell contamination by taste and the water may
not slow even when the filter should be changed.

According to what I've read, bacterial contamination only happens in
charcoal filters when there are air pockets... something you'd expect
in a pitcher filter, but not for fridges. Other contaminates like the
metals would eventually "break through", but really, they're filtered
out at the municipal water supply.

Besides, there's nothing on the filter that directly indicates it
being charcoal. It just says "Mechanical and Chemical Reduction
Filter". I suppose that's what it is considering the price range ~$30.
http://www.fridgefilters.com/whirlpool-4396510.html

My wife called Sears and told them what was
going on. They wanted to charge $40 just to
send out a technician since it's out of warranty.
My wife explained that they were losing money
on water filters since I refuse to buy one until
either the water tastes chlorinated or the
light turns red.

The Sears lady just said nothing for a while then
asked "well what do you want ME to do about it?"

Please advise.

1. There's no guaranty you'd buy a replacement filter from Sears,
they're sold lots of other places. Kind of hard to justify giving
something away for free when you *might* reap some benefit from it in
the future.

BTW. The service would likely be at least 3-4 times the price of a
replacement filter. That means they wouldn't even have a chance to
recover their costs for 2-3 years.

I understand that in this regard, Sears loses out on no money since I
could get my filters anywhere. I just want to know if anyone out there
knows why the light isn't turning red. According to the manual, that
means the filter is still good. And the water tastes great... And the
water flow/ice production is still as good as the day we got it
(actually better since it was fixed soon after we got it). That's
three for four. The only thing outstanding is that the manual states
the light should turn red between 6 and 9 months of being reset when a
filter is replaced and that didn't happen.

"When should the Whirlpool 4396510 refrigerator filter be replaced?

This Whirlpool filter should be replaced:

Every 6 months or
When the filter change indicator light comes on or
If the refrigerator has not been used for more than two weeks (for
instance, during a move) or
If you notice a decrease in the flow of water or objectionable tastes
in the water or ice. "

2. I don't know why people expect a *1* year warranty to cover
failures 2 or more years down the line. 1 year is ONE year? (sorry for
the reality check)

I personally don't expect anyone to grant "free" service after a
warranty period has expired. However, I have had people offer repair
service on items that were defective and RECALLED years after the
warranty expired. Neither my wife nor I knew if that were the case and
it never hurts to ask. Besides, we were just fishing for some advice
like "oh, yeah. That light is not reliable." or "Press the filter
reset light for 5 minutes while waving a rubber chicken over your head
and chanting 'softer side of Sears... softer side softer side...'"

Geeesh! You and that Sears woman need to calm down and stop jabbing
people. It's not like you're talking to a third grader.

3. You never posted what exact model you have to there's no way to
tell how your model is designed to work. Many of Sears Kenmore fridges
are built by Whirlpool and *some* Whirlpool models are suppose to
monitor both duration (time) and usage. *IF* your model is so
equipped, I would think it is not working correctly.

Good point. It's Model 106.51262102 and requests filter WF-NLC250 or
WF-LC400. The current filter doesn't specify which kind it is, only
that it's part number 46-9902, which can be found from the link
http://www.fridgefilters.com/whirlpool-4396510.html

4. Replace the filter so you can be sure you're not contaminating your
family. Monitor the situation and after a set period of time or usage
if the indicator does not change, have it serviced and/or replace the
filter.

Contaminating them with what? It sounds like unfiltered water is much
safer by how you keep going on about contamination.

Do NOT rely on taste for flow rate alone to be the judge of when to
replace your water filter.

I don't rely solely on taste .... I rely on multiple factors. Taste
being one of them, but also the indicator light and the water flow/ice
production. Had the light been green and the water taste good, but the
flow and production gone down, I would have replaced the filter by
now. If the water flow was good but tasted bad, I also would have
replaced it. Actually... had the light turned red at all, I would have
replaced it right away. The only thing that indicates we should change
the filter is a manual that says "6 to 9 months", and as you stated
before, Sears (the company that produced the manual) is only out for
money so why should I trust them?

Has anyone had problems with their light not changing colors? The only
issue I've found is that people complain of it turning too soon (like
within 3 months after a filter is replaced and the light is reset).

What mechanism is used on this model 106.51262102 to determine what
color the light should be? Is it through some arbitrary timer? Through
some simple water analysis (electrical current comes to mind since
pure H2O carries none, only the metals and minerals dissolved within
water cause it to carry current, and it wouldn't require a replaceable
pH indicator). I have no idea what these water filter systems out
there are using to determine when they should be replaced.

I'm sure I could do some water tests on it for pH, chlorine, metals
and bacteria. Are there any other tests I should perform to make sure
this water is safe from "contamination"... and please explain what
type of contamination you are talking about. If it's so serious, I
need to know. There are no health warnings on the filter and no EPA or
FDA statements to indicate it being dangerous to "over use" a filter.

Thanks,
Bri

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+fridge

=Ð~~~~~~

Dan O.

Bri Gipson wrote in message ...

I just want to know if anyone out there knows
why the light isn't turning red. According to the
manual, that means the filter is still good.

"When should the Whirlpool 4396510 refrigerator
filter be replaced?

This Whirlpool filter should be replaced:

Every 6 months or
When the filter change indicator light comes on or
If the refrigerator has not been used for more than
two weeks (for instance, during a move) or If you
notice a decrease in the flow of water or
objectionable tastes in the water or ice. "

This is from the Amana web site about their refrigerators:

Some Amana refrigerator models have an internal water filter system.
The filter cartridge requires some care and maintenance with usage. We
recommend replacing the cartridge when the water filter indicator
light on the door dispenser turns red or every 6 months, whichever
comes first.

Note the last statement. I imagine the same advice applies to the
other fridge manufacturers too.

I personally don't expect anyone to grant "free"
service after a warranty period has expired.
However, I have had people offer repair
service on items that were defective and
RECALLED years after the warranty expired.

A "recall" is something entirely different. If not corrected the
manufacturer could be liable even after a warranty has expired.

we were just fishing for some advice like
"oh, yeah. That light is not reliable."

None that I know of are not an absolute guaranty of the filter needing
to be changed. That is likely why the manual tells you the conditions
when the filter should be replaced, "Every 6 months OR when the filter
change indicator light comes on OR if the refrigerator has not been
used for more than two weeks OR you notice a decrease in the flow of
water OR objectionable tastes in the water or ice."

I take that to mean when ANY of the conditions are present, not all or
even more than one is.

What mechanism is used on this model 106.51262102
to determine what color the light should be? Is it through
some arbitrary timer? Through some simple water analysis

I can't even locate what controls the water filter indicator on that
model, it may be part of the 'adaptive defrost control' # 2213476
(current # 2252148). The most diligent mechanisms I'm aware of are
said to monitor just the installed time and amount of water dispensed.
I don't know what formula they base the indicator light change on.

You'll either have to contact Sears or Whirlpool (whom made that
particular model for Sears). If you can find out which part is
responsible you may be able to look up its patent to see exactly how
it determines when to change the colour of the water filter indicator
lights.

You can read a couple of Whirlpool's water filter indicator patent's
abstracts at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/2c2mj

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+fridge

=Ð~~~~~~

jim

Naugahyde wrote:

From a track record on Google groups, this looks like a good place to
[...]

i got a whirlpool side by side with the same light thing, stays green
and when it turns yellow and then red you change the filter and reset
the light by quickly pushing the plug in about four or five times...
this resets the light.... do you have any kids that play with the light
plug(all they have to do is push it in a few times every now and then
and it will never turn red or yellow)....
Bri Gipson

Thanks again, Dan O. for your help on this.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:18:41 -0400, "Dan O."
wrote:

Bri Gipson wrote in message ...

[...]

Hmm. I can definately see how the "whichever comes first" rule would
apply, considering that other refrigerators mention the "whichever
comes first". Why wouldn't Sears put that in their manual?

I personally don't expect anyone to grant "free"
service after a warranty period has expired.
However, I have had people offer repair
service on items that were defective and
RECALLED years after the warranty expired.

A "recall" is something entirely different. If not corrected the
manufacturer could be liable even after a warranty has expired.

That was the point I was trying to make. If an over-used filter really
is a health risk, and their manual only indicates that the filter
should be changed when the light turns red, then this defect on their
part is impacting health.

That also brings me to the other question from earlier. What type of
contamination are we talking about here? Are they high doses of
mercury or lead? Both of those metals are cumulative and the filter
only releases what it was once given ... if those elements ever break
through from the charcoal being over-saturated.

we were just fishing for some advice like
"oh, yeah. That light is not reliable."

None that I know of are not an absolute guaranty of the filter needing
to be changed. That is likely why the manual tells you the conditions
when the filter should be replaced, "Every 6 months OR when the filter
change indicator light comes on OR if the refrigerator has not been
used for more than two weeks OR you notice a decrease in the flow of
water OR objectionable tastes in the water or ice."

I take that to mean when ANY of the conditions are present, not all or
even more than one is.

I understand you're saying it's not a pick and choose situation. I'm
saying that other than the "6 to 9" months that the manual states the
light should turn red within during normal use, every indicator shows
that the filter is good. Water is fresh tasting. Flow is good. Ice is
good. Light is on. Haven't left it alone for 2 weeks. It just seems
odd to "fix" something that doesn't seem broken. Yet, it seems fishy
that the light hasn't even turned yellow by now. Especially if it were
on a timer or registering water flow, or both.

[...]

Great idea. I'll look through the patents to see what may be helpful.
And thanks again for your input.

-Bri

Bri Gipson

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:24:24 GMT, jim wrote:

i got a whirlpool side by side with the same light thing, stays green
and when it turns yellow and then red you change the filter and reset
the light by quickly pushing the plug in about four or five times...
this resets the light.... do you have any kids that play with the light
plug(all they have to do is push it in a few times every now and then
and it will never turn red or yellow)....

Sounds exactly like what I have. The kids are all little (4 years old
and under) and can't reach the plug/button and none of us open and
close the refrigerator door 5 times within a minute... the kids aren't
even allowed to open the fridge doors.

How long did it take for your light to turn from green to yellow and
from yellow to red?

Perhaps that button is stuck or something. I'll check it later today.

Thanks,
Bri

Bri Gipson

Reading the patent came up with some very interesting information
regarding the functionality of the water filter regulator. It appears
that it is both time and water volume based. That water volume is
calculated by a product of time that a valve is open and the expected
volume of water per time unit. The patent mentions that the expected
volume per time unit is a precalculated number, though it doesn't
mention how or when it is calculated. I figured that this may be where
things went wrong, but reading further gave very specific information
about how the processor responds to the button. Below are the two
paragraphs talking about it:

-- BEGIN BLOCKQUOTE --
If the fresh food door 20 is detected as closed, then diagnostic
subroutine 320 is run. At step 312, the green LED die is illuminated
if the water dispenser valve 54 is open. At step 324, the red LED die
is illuminated if the water valve 52 to the ice making apparatus 48 is
open. If both valves 52 and 54 are open, both LED die are illuminated
and the status indicator 66 appears amber. The diagnostic subroutine
320 permits detection of malfunctions of the water valves 52 and 54 or
the water filter status monitoring and indicating system 70 by a
service technician manually by depressing the light switch 26 and
selectively operating the valves 52 or 54, the service technician can
isolate faults in the system.

Referring to FIG. 8, the reset subroutine 350 determines at step 352
if the light switch 26 has been depressed 5 times in less than ten
seconds, indicating the user is sending a reset instruction to the
microprocessor device 140. The user should do this when the filter is
replaced. If a reset instruction has been detected at step 352, then
the time and water usage counters are reset to zero at step 356 and
stored to non-volatile memory at step 358. However, if the system has
already been reset, within the last 10 seconds, that is, a reset
instruction has been sent twice, then, at step 354, the microprocessor
device reads the input as an instruction that a different type of
filter is being used and changes the model setting from a model A to a
model B. Finally, at step 360, the indicator is illuminated red or
green to indicate the model setting.
-- END BLOCKQUOTE --

Trying the diagnostic subroutines came back with a false green light.
Reseting the device twice to change its filter type also consistantly
returned a green light. And even more obvious, the green light never
went off even while the button was pressed.

Can anyone verify that the green light should go off while the button
is pressed? If so, then it's an obvious defect in the sensory system
and I will likely need to bring in a technician. If not, then I might
be misinterpreting the patent.

Thank you all very much for your help,
-Bri

---

wrote:

Bri Gipson wrote in message ...

[...]

Bri Gipson

Turning red every 9 months is consistent with the manual. Dating the
filter is a good idea. Of course, in this case, I know that the filter
was installed the day the refrigerator was, which was about 2 years
ago, and the light is still green. I did some diagnostics that were
indicated in the filtration monitor patent which appear to be
conclusive that it's malfunctioning.

A question for you: When you open the door to the fresh food section
and hold down the light button, does the filter indicator light also
turn off, or just the light to the fridge compartment? The patent
implies that the light would turn off while the button is depressed.

Thanks,
Bri

---

"Dan O." wrote in message

Bri Gipson wrote in message ...

[...]

Dan O.

Bri Gipson wrote in message ...

Reading the patent came up with some very interesting
information regarding the functionality of the water filter
regulator.

You do not know for sure that that patent applies to the system in use
*on your refrigerator model* which is why I suggested you try to find
out what component is actually responsible for the water filter
indicator lights on it and try to find the patent for *it*.

Whirlpool has thousands of patents, many of which are for similar
products/components but which are different enough to warrant a patent
of their own.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whirlpool+fridge

=Ð~~~~~~

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bri Gipson, Margaret wrote:
I went for several years with a green light and wondered the same thing. Then
one day I noticed a yellow light and ordered a filter. Dont know how long
it had been that way but by the time I got the new filter, it was red. At
that time, I did not use my water as much as I do now. I am currently
refilling my water bottles, of which I drink at least 5/day, and so need a
filter every 6 mo. So I say wait, if it looks and tastes good, and ice &
water is working well. :-). I was also told by a refrigerator repairman that
it goes by gallons used, not just time passed.
Let me know what you do. :-)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-518498-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2017 12:44 AM, Margaret wrote:
replying to Bri Gipson, Margaret wrote:
I went for several years with a green light and wondered the same thing.
Then
one day I noticed a yellow light and ordered a filter. Dont know how long
it had been that way but by the time I got the new filter, it was red.Â* At
that time, I did not use my water as much as I do now. I am currently
refilling my water bottles, of which I drink at least 5/day, and so need a
filter every 6 mo.Â* So I say wait, if it looks and tastes good, and ice &
water is working well.Â* :-).Â* I was also told by a refrigerator
repairman that
it goes by gallons used, not just time passed. Â*Let me know what you
do.Â* :-)

13 years later . . .
While on the subject of refrigerator filters, we have a Samsung and the
filters are expensive. I bought a couple from discountfilters.com.
Cheaper, but they do not last very long so the overall cost will be the
same. I'm going back to the OEM filters. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:28:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

How do you mean? Do you sense a taste difference? Otherwise you change then by the light that is gallon based or by time, so I don't see how a different filter, the fridge would know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2017 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

A light goes on by gallons but the cheap filter worked fine originally
but it started to taste like city water long before the light would go
on the the OEM filter so I changed it out. I guess they don't have as
much carbon inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 10:55:25 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/20/2017 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:

How do you mean? Do you sense a taste difference? Otherwise you change then by the light that is gallon based or by time, so I don't see how a different filter, the fridge would know.

A light goes on by gallons but the cheap filter worked fine originally
but it started to taste like city water long before the light would go
on the the OEM filter so I changed it out. I guess they don't have as
much carbon inside.

Starts to make you wonder what is so special about that activated
carbon.
You can buy a big bag of that stuff for a few bucks.

I seldom if ever change that filter because it is behind an RO unit
and we just use that for the ice anyway. I probably end up resetting
the button 5 times or more per filter change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 05:44:07 GMT, Margaret
m wrote:

replying to Bri Gipson, Margaret wrote:
I went for several years with a green light and wondered the same thing. Then
one day I noticed a yellow light and ordered a filter. Don’t know how long
it had been that way but by the time I got the new filter, it was red. At
that time, I did not use my water as much as I do now. I am currently
refilling my water bottles, of which I drink at least 5/day,

So isn't the water at room temperature by the time you drink it?

what does the filter in the fridge filter for and, if necessary,
wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get one for the kitchen sink?

and so need a
filter every 6 mo. So I say wait, if it looks and tastes good, and ice &
water is working well. :-). I was also told by a refrigerator repairman that
it goes by gallons used, not just time passed.
Let me know what you do. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

replying to Bri Gipson, Margaret wrote:
I went for several years with a green light and wondered the same thing. Then
one day I noticed a yellow light and ordered a filter. Dont know how long
it had been that way but by the time I got the new filter, it was red. At
that time, I did not use my water as much as I do now. I am currently
refilling my water bottles, of which I drink at least 5/day,

So isn't the water at room temperature by the time you drink it?

I am guessing she has an insulated bottle and drinks it before it gets
warm.

what does the filter in the fridge filter for and, if necessary,
wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get one for the kitchen sink?

Probably hence my R/O. The fridges tap off of that at my house.