Royler

Default Advice Needed: Portable Air Conditioner

Hope I'm in the right place...

Summer is here, which is bad news for me due to excessive allergies. I
literally cannot sleep with a window open or even use a window AC, as
even with the vent closed, it'll still manage to draw in a little
outside air....the pollens give me nocturnal asthma and I have so much
trouble breathing I can't even fall asleep. I lived in a home with
central AC last summer, but this is no longer the case.

Basically, I need a portable AC unit to cool a 13x20 bedroom that will
vent hot air either under a doorjamb or - I'm wondering if this is
even possible - down a heating vent. I see a ton of models on eBay and
locally and have no idea what to look for. I don't mind emptying a
water reservoir, but I simply cannot have the windows open, period. If
I can solve this problem for around $500, all the better. Any advice
is MUCH appreciated. Thank you.
Art

If you can spend more, Samsung, I believe, makes a terminal heatpump unit
which is split just like central ac. A freon tube is the only thing that
connects the indoor unit and outdoor condenser unit. It has remote control
too to work the fan so you can mount it high in a room out of the way.

"Royler" wrote in message
om...
[...]

David Efflandt

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:18:23 GMT, Art wrote:
If you can spend more, Samsung, I believe, makes a terminal heatpump unit
which is split just like central ac. A freon tube is the only thing that
connects the indoor unit and outdoor condenser unit. It has remote control
too to work the fan so you can mount it high in a room out of the way.

The name I heard for those is mini-split. No duct work is required, The
evaporator mounts in the room and condenser mounts outside with just the
freon tubes and power connecting them (and probably drain somewhere).
They are more expensive, but do not vent room air.

I have an 8000 btu/hr Maytag portable that I use to cool my upstairs
(until I have a chance to do something about broken glued in window
shaker). It has full 5 yr warranty and does not really accumulate
moisture, since that is used to cool the condenser and goes out the vent
as vapor.

But window A/C units usually do not vent room air in or out unless they
specifically have a vent and it is opened. So if the original OP could
not cope with a window A/C, I do not see how a portable would help,
because that does vent out hot condenser air, and air has to come in
somewhere else to make that up.

Maybe an electrostatic air cleaner would help (like the Ionic Breeze
advertised on late night TV). Fortunately I am only allergic to grass
pollen, so I only get hit if out in the weeds from late May through early
July.

"Royler" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
Cliff Hartle

I think the exhaust carries a fair amount of moisture so you want to get it
out of the building. If you send it down a heat vent the water vapor is
just going to condense on the walls and create a major mold problem. I
don't think venting under a door is going to work either.

You are probably going to have to make sure that the window vent is sealed
well.

"Royler" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Royler" wrote in message
om...

Basically, I need a portable AC unit to cool a 13x20 bedroom that will
vent hot air either under a doorjamb or - I'm wondering if this is
even possible - down a heating vent. I see a ton of models on eBay and
locally and have no idea what to look for.

This is not a good idea. The heat and moisture can cause other problems that
could make your asthma even worse. Do you have an air purifier with HEPA
filter? I'd run one in the bedroom while the AC is on. Probably run it all
the time.
Ed

I don't mind emptying a
water reservoir, but I simply cannot have the windows open, period. If
I can solve this problem for around $500, all the better. Any advice
is MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

HA HA Budys Here

New window A/C units rarely even have the "outside air" option. They're
incredibly well insulated against allowing air leakage, and with a proper
window fit and install it shouldn't affect your allergies in the least.

That is, if your reason for opting for the obvious solution is truthful which I
suspect is not.

JohnB

Royler wrote:
Hope I'm in the right place...

Basically, I need a portable AC unit to cool a 13x20 bedroom that will
vent hot air either under a doorjamb or - I'm wondering if this is
even possible - down a heating vent. I see a ton of models on eBay and
locally and have no idea what to look for. I don't mind emptying a
water reservoir, but I simply cannot have the windows open, period. If
I can solve this problem for around $500, all the better. Any advice
is MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

I once needed a dehumidifier in a room with a chimney which had
both windows stuffed with "normal" through the window air
conditioners. I bought a "portable room air conditioner" which I
vented out the chimney, emptying the condensed water from time to
time. This unit comes with a four inch flexible vent hose such
as is used on my dryer. It is intended for installation in a
window. Using caukling / weather stripping around the window
adapter should keep most of the junk which bothers you out of the
room. This is a link to a 12,000 BTU unit for $540. The web site
alleges that this unit can handle only 400 square feet, so there
may not be a unit which can handle your room.
http://www.store.yahoo.com/air-n-wat...oraircon1.html

Edwin Pawlowski

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
New window A/C units rarely even have the "outside air" option. They're
incredibly well insulated against allowing air leakage, and with a proper
window fit and install it shouldn't affect your allergies in the least.

My company made the fan scroll parts for one of the major airconditioner
manufacturers. We had to do a tooling change to add a fresh air vent. It
was a slot about 3/8" x 1". I asked the AC engineer why they even bothered.
He stated that Brand X had it so they had to have it to get the check mark
on the model comparison sheet some stores used. The amount of fresh air
that might come in was negligable.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

jim

Royler wrote:

[...]

you got to get rid of the heat from the A/C unit someplace.. the plastic
6 in. hoses attached to the unit should easily be place in an partially
opened window(with a wooden piece the size of the 6 in. hose and then
the window closed..the hot air will travel out the hose, so you not
gonna get any outside air into the house........ the portable units are
kinda expensive, but keep looking. we used them in a very large office
building when the cent air went out and the hot a/c air was vented out
the air intakes that were not being used at that time due to the cent.
a/c being busted...
Stormin Mormon

Thanks. I'd forgot about mini splits, and I've helped install several of
them. Just went to a seminar, too.

Connecting the inside and outside is two freon tubes, a drain for
condensate, and a low voltage controller wire.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

link.net...

"Royler" wrote in message
[...]

RB

Venting under a door, through a duct, or anywhere else to outside of the
room is a bad idea because for every cubic foot of air that you exhaust
a cubic foot of air must "seep" back in. It's a much better idea to
control the replacement/infiltration of air so that you can filter it.

RB