Karl

Default Heating Oil Storage Tank Repair Plugs

I'm in the process of buying a home with oil fueled heat and hot water
and my question is about the storage tank. The tank appears in good
shape, but I noticed two "plugs" screwed into the bottom of the tank.
These plugs appear to consist of a screw, washer, and rubber gasket,
screwed directly into the bottom of the tank. Does anyone know the
purpose of these "plugs" and whether I should be concerned about their
existence? Thanks for any advice. -Karl
Speedy Jim

Karl wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a home with oil fueled heat and hot water
and my question is about the storage tank. The tank appears in good
shape, but I noticed two "plugs" screwed into the bottom of the tank.
These plugs appear to consist of a screw, washer, and rubber gasket,
screwed directly into the bottom of the tank. Does anyone know the
purpose of these "plugs" and whether I should be concerned about their
existence? Thanks for any advice. -Karl

The tank is past end-of-life. Water in the fuel (condensate)
collects at the very bottom of the tank, where it rusts the steel
over years. If it has been repaired, you can be pretty sure
that the steel is paper thin.

Call the oil distributor out there and ask for a rough price
on replacement. Factor that into your buying decision.

Jim
Sligo

Be wary!
How old is the tank? Could be plugged rust holes and an exceedingly
troublesome prospect.
Best of luck,
Seamus J. Wilson
"Karl" wrote in message
om...
I'm in the process of buying a home with oil fueled heat and hot water
and my question is about the storage tank. The tank appears in good
shape, but I noticed two "plugs" screwed into the bottom of the tank.
These plugs appear to consist of a screw, washer, and rubber gasket,
screwed directly into the bottom of the tank. Does anyone know the
purpose of these "plugs" and whether I should be concerned about their
existence? Thanks for any advice. -Karl

JohnB

Karl wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a home with oil fueled heat and hot water
and my question is about the storage tank. The tank appears in good
shape, but I noticed two "plugs" screwed into the bottom of the tank.
These plugs appear to consist of a screw, washer, and rubber gasket,
screwed directly into the bottom of the tank. Does anyone know the
purpose of these "plugs" and whether I should be concerned about their
existence? Thanks for any advice. -Karl

The 1850s house in Staten Island which I owned for seventeen
years was a bit of a "dump" when I bought it. The oil tanks had
rubber patches supported by sheet metal over their entire bottom.
One early project was a new furnace and new oil tanks.

Plastic fuel tank repair -Report Al A. Metalworking 18 June 10th 04 03:59 PM
Cold Water Storage Tank Martin UK diy 5 December 29th 03 08:06 PM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Underfloor heating SC UK diy 112 August 27th 03 02:12 PM
Costs for Gas Central heating from Electric storage Richard Markham UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:46 PM