Fleemo

Default New Roof Leaks Already

I bought my house about three and a half years ago and had a brand new
composite shingle roof put on it. After some recent rain storms, I
noticed some discoloration in an area of acoustic ceiling, which I
assume is a sure sign of a roof leak. The wrinkle is that my roofer
has since moved away, and I'm not even sure he's still doing roofing
as a profession. How long is the warranty on most roofs? Do I even
have a course of action if my roofer is no longer in business, or am I
just SOL?

Thanks in advance.

-F
Edwin Pawlowski

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
Check the YP, then the BBB. Then start making calls to the approprite

state
official.
zemedelec

You mean the state officials will come out and repair the roof? If the
roofer moved away and is out of business, the OP is screwed. Best bet is to
find the cause of the leak first. It may not be the fault of the original
roofer. Other things can happen over a few years. If the roofing material
is defective, the manufacturer will take care of the repairs.
Ed

Bruce

You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three
weeks and the heels are worn right through.
Tom

Need more info. Note where the leak is in relationship to an outside wall.Go
out and check that same area, and above it, for any appurtenances (things that
stick out of the roof's surface). Have it checked by a "real" roofer, one that
KNOWS how to flash (flashing instructions are on every bundle!) for flashing
probs, and a general field check for fastener misplacement. Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....
Glenn

"Longshot" wrote in message
most contractors will warranty workmanship for just one year. If the roof
didn't leak for the first 3 years I wouldn't think that the shingle
installation wasn't the problem anyhow. shingles are warranted between 20

&
40 years but read the small print on the package, if they find one nail on
the whole roof penetrated the shingle anywhere but in that one inch strip

of
tar embedded in the shingle , the warranty is void. in other words the
shingle warranty & 39 cents can get your happy meal supersized.
my guess on the leak is that:

A) you had ice dams last winter & water backed up under the shingles on an
over hang or cricket or valley,

B) previous high winds have pulled some shingles or flashing up or away

from
a surface

C) it was a driving rain that blew in from some direction

D) your gutters need cleaning

E) a tree branch has damaged your shingles

need I continue?

PLEASE DO CONTINUE
ITS A LONG SHOT.........BUT WHAT THE HELL!

Ed Larsen

We had a similar issue on our 9 year old house. We were having some bathroom
work done and hte contractor looked at it for us. The roof jacks which are
the covers around pipe penetations in the roof. They seal the gap around the
pipe had cracks in the rubber. Silicone caulk and the leak was fixed. They
used to use lead roof jacks, and now use these worthless rubber things.
Contractor said the price difference is only a few bucks a piece. I guess if
you are ahome builder and building hundreds of home then a few bucks times a
few thousand is a bunch of bucks.

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I bought my house about three and a half years ago and had a brand new
composite shingle roof put on it. After some recent rain storms, I
noticed some discoloration in an area of acoustic ceiling, which I
assume is a sure sign of a roof leak. The wrinkle is that my roofer
has since moved away, and I'm not even sure he's still doing roofing
as a profession. How long is the warranty on most roofs? Do I even
have a course of action if my roofer is no longer in business, or am I
just SOL?

Thanks in advance.

-F

John Willis

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:02:54 GMT, "Ed Larsen"
scribbled this interesting note:

We had a similar issue on our 9 year old house. We were having some bathroom
work done and hte contractor looked at it for us. The roof jacks which are
the covers around pipe penetations in the roof. They seal the gap around the
pipe had cracks in the rubber. Silicone caulk and the leak was fixed. They
used to use lead roof jacks, and now use these worthless rubber things.
Contractor said the price difference is only a few bucks a piece. I guess if
you are ahome builder and building hundreds of home then a few bucks times a
few thousand is a bunch of bucks.

New home builders do indeed use the flashings with a neoprene seal.
For exactly the reason you stated. You would be time, effort, and
money ahead to have all the original plumbing vent flashings with the
neoprene seals removed and lead flashings installed. Save yourself
headaches and hassles in the long run to take care of a problem you
know is there already and will only get worse since they all will leak
eventually.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Plastic Corrugated Roof Leaks rakster UK diy 1 September 4th 03 05:28 PM