Rheem vs.Ruud

Old March 28th 04, 04:05 AM
lindy

Default Rheem vs.Ruud

Can anyone tell me the difference, Is one more expensive than the other?
Thanks

Old March 28th 04, 05:14 AM
Greg O

"lindy" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the difference, Is one more expensive than the other?
Thanks

The sticker is the only differance!
Ruud, Rheem, and Weather King are one in the same. If you are comparing bids
from differant contractors it is possible they are using differant models.
The model numbers should all be the same except for the first letter.
Greg

Old March 28th 04, 08:22 AM
TURTLE

"lindy" wrote in message ...
Can anyone tell me the difference, Is one more expensive than the other?
Thanks

Rheem and Ruud are both made at the same manufactorng plant and both brands are coming off the same assembley line. Both units are
the same till the get to the point where they put the sticker on it as to being a Ruud or a Rheem. At the end of the assembly line
where the stickers are put on them. Ruud Goes to the right and Rheem goes to the left. Both are idenical except for the sticker and
model number.

Now Weather King has it's own assembley line in the factory and the only difference in Rheem / Ruud and the Weatherking is the
WeatherKing will not have a scroll compressor on it. Other than this, they are the same as Rheem and Ruud.

The Prices of Rheem / Ruud should be very close but they can be a price difference from the warehouses. Now weather King should be a
hair cheaper than Rheem or Ruud because of it not having a scroll compressor in it.

So Both are the same thing inside and out except the brand sticker.

TURTLE

---

Old March 28th 04, 04:29 PM
Eric Houkal

Actually the Weather Kings have a few other significant differences-
The Condensing units are built on the old square as opposed to
rectangular pan, which has made them fit in places where a Rheem would
have been out of the question, and the furnaces have all the low end
controls (HSI instead of spark, etc.)and (I think )cheap looking
cabinets. If you care about that kind of thing.
Eric

Old March 28th 04, 07:21 PM
lindy

are you saying that all three brands have the low end controls?

Old March 28th 04, 08:09 PM
Greg O

"lindy" wrote in message
are you saying that all three brands have the low end controls?

I am sure he meant just Weather King as Rheem and Ruud have spark ignition
on most units.
Greg

Old March 29th 04, 03:08 AM
TURTLE

"lindy" wrote in message ...
are you saying that all three brands have the low end controls?

This is Turtle.

Weather King is Rheem's form of low end of equipment to compete with Goodman and other low end manufactors. Rheem and Ruud is better
equipment than Weather King , but all is made by the same manufactor.

TURTLE

---

Old March 29th 04, 06:29 PM
Shane

Rheem/Ruud is an outstanding value. My system is 6 years old with no
problems whatsoever. Just remember to wash out the condensing unit at
least every year (remember to cut the power first!) and keep a clean
filter in the air handler/furnace. The scroll compressor can't be
beat.

Old March 29th 04, 07:09 PM
Minnie Bannister

Are the "big names" necessarily the best anyway? When I lived in
Brisbane, Australia, we had a locally made water heater with a 25-year
warranty (and I don't think it cost much more than a Rheem). One time I
was walking though a shopping mall and was accosted by a salesman at a
Rheem display, who asked me if I owned a home and how old the water
heater was. I told him how old the water heater was (probably 8 years or
more at the time), and he said, "Oh, then you'll be needing a new one
soon." When I told him that it was a Uscinski, he said, "Oh, well you
won't need a new one for a long time yet."

MB

On 03/28/04 08:08 pm TURTLE put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

Old March 30th 04, 02:52 AM
*CBHVAC*

"Shane" wrote in message
om...
Rheem/Ruud is an outstanding value. My system is 6 years old with no
problems whatsoever. Just remember to wash out the condensing unit at
least every year (remember to cut the power first!) and keep a clean
filter in the air handler/furnace. The scroll compressor can't be
beat.

That they are....I love them..I replace more Rheem / Ruud units and Lennox
than any other brand....bar none. Simple controls that are expensive...a
compressor that costs more than the unit itself to replace...a contactor
that is pure junk sitting right where any water that gets under the cover
will find the coil, and a cap that should water get into the box, its gonna
have the contacts UNDER water...
They are indeed not bad for a Japanese Company.....Yes...they are no longer
American owned..

There is a bit more to upkeep on any brand unit than washing out the
condensor..particularly on a Rheem with the hail guards and such on it.
The high pressure controls on the Rheems that will always spring a leak..I
keep asking..why do they still use them on the heat pumps?

To each his own..with every brand, you will find some that are pure junk,
and thats 70% due to the installer....30% to the owner and the thought that
since its still running, there is nothing wrong with it.