Stellijer

Default Anchoring concrete block row and base plate to existing porch slab?

I'd like to get some ideas about anchoring a base plate for a wall to enclose an
existing covered porch.

Naturally, the slab for the porch exists as does the roof overhead. I need to
put in a wall at the edge of the concerete porch. The slab is pretty near grade
so I want to run a row of 4" concrete blocks along the edge of the slab to keep
the wood framing above grade.

What would some ideas be to put anchor bolts into the existing slab? Are there
lead anchors to this effect where you drill a hole and hammer them in? Or are
there other more preferable ways to insert anchor bolts? I've used lead and
other similar anchors for smaller applications but never for anchor bolts
before.

I also would like to get some suggestions as to putting the anchor bolts through
the blocks and up through the base plate. One idea would be to have a short
anchor bolt sticking up from the existing slab into a cell of the concrete block
and then to insert a bolt into the cell and grout the cell solid. (I do believe
you can get 4" blocks with open cells - if not I'm faced with boring a hole
straight thru a block) Another would be to simply try to find a bolt long
enough to extend from the existing slab, through the 8" height of the block and
out the top leaving enough thread to go thru the base plate and put on a nut and
washer.

There may be other solutions. I'd love to hear any other ideas for doing this.

Joe Bobst

There may be other solutions

Given this problem, I'd frame in a an appropriately sized trough, lay out the
mud pan and hoe, hop in the ol' pickup and get a bunch of WhoopeeCrete and a
case of vintage brew and call my buddies to spend a happy Saturday, mixing,
pouring and smoothing. With the pour complete, shove the anchor bolts in their
proper location and after curing start your wall. You already know about
square, plumb and level, right? And adding the magic bonding agents to the
concrete, and cleaning the old slab first? HTH

Joe

Stellijer

Joe Bobst wrote in message
There may be other solutions

Given this problem, I'd frame in a an appropriately sized trough, lay out the
mud pan and hoe, hop in the ol' pickup and get a bunch of WhoopeeCrete and a
case of vintage brew and call my buddies to spend a happy Saturday, mixing,
pouring and smoothing. With the pour complete, shove the anchor bolts in their
proper location and after curing start your wall. You already know about
square, plumb and level, right? And adding the magic bonding agents to the
concrete, and cleaning the old slab first? HTH

Joe

Heh... you have a way with imagery

I thought of pouring a base instead of laying blocks. It's just that I'm not
convinced that the framing involved wouldn't be more work. In either case you
wind up with primarily the weight of the concrete or block being that which
holds it in place to the slab (even with bonding agents the WEIGHT of the base
is primarily that which holds it there). Indeed, the anchor bolts would be easy
to place in a pour such as that.

As for smoothing - heh! Who cares! It just needs to be formed well enough to
hold the base plate on top, accept stucco on one side and drywall on the other.

Just so you know the scope of the project, we're talking about merely 34 lf of
wall, 12' of which will be occupied by sliding glass doors - so there will only
be about 22 lf of wall for which I need a base. Seems blocks would be the
easier solution that setting up plywood formwork and having to get the needed
stakes and bracing.

DanG

The largest issue has to do with a footing.

If there is to be a permit, you will definitely need a footing. I
doubt that a porch would have had one.

It should be easy to excavate at the outside edge of the slab to
see. If you just have a slab, you need a different approach.
Code will require a full depth footing under all exterior walls.
Here that is 18", it will vary based on frost depth.

If you need a footing, you might cut off the existing edge or move
the wall line out. Excavate, form, and pour the footing with a
stem wall to carry your new exterior walls with j bolts.

There are several self leveling floor levelers sold to compensate
for the fall on the existing patio.
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Stellijer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Stellijer

Gosh...

A group like this and I only get one reply?

Is only one person familiar with anchor bolts and existing slabs?