KLM

Default Stubborn stain on toilet bowl.

There is a black greasy stain on my toilet bowl I have having trouble
removing. I have tried the usual toilet brush, scouring with
scotchbrite pads, steel wool,using liquid soap, detergent, toilet bowl
cleaner formulas, paint thinner and concentrated sulphuric acid. Most
of the stain is gone but two streaks remain as well as a thin blackish
greasy smear over the bowl that seems to only move around when I use
steel wool on them.

The stain follows the water flush "track" from the toilet bowl. I
think it is from the disintegrating rubber from the flapper valve or
the rubber seal between the tank and the bowl. They're are 20 plus
years old and due for replacement.

Is there a rubber solvent I can use or is there some method I have not
thought of?

Rob-J

I don't want to sound like an infomercial....... Try Zap, it can be found at
walmart, sams, and most hardware stores. I squeeze a little in a stained
toilet (after relentless scrubbing with no improvment) let is sit for about
15 minutes and the stain is completely gone! This stuff is the real deal!

Ok, we now return to our regular program........

Mzone719

Try Comet

Steve B.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:19:40 GMT, KLM wrote:

Is there a rubber solvent I can use or is there some method I have not
thought of?

You could try a pumice stone. Good luck to you!

Steve B.
William W. Plummer

"Mzone719" wrote in message
Try Comet

You need something containing oxalic acid. "Bartenders Friend" or
"Stainless Steel Cleaner" work fairly well. Dump a bucket of water down
the toilet to empty the bowl so it will dry before you work on it.
Another easy to use cleaner is plain old dishwasher detergent. Keep it
clean with a couple of denture cleaners once in a while. Do not use
cleanser or pumice.

AAlso packaged as wood bleach. Check the label as there are others.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:11:06 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

You need something containing oxalic acid. "Bartenders Friend" or
"Stainless Steel Cleaner" work fairly well.

NorMinn

KLM wrote:
There is a black greasy stain on my toilet bowl I have having trouble
removing. I have tried the usual toilet brush, scouring with
scotchbrite pads, steel wool,using liquid soap, detergent, toilet bowl
cleaner formulas, paint thinner and concentrated sulphuric acid. Most
of the stain is gone but two streaks remain as well as a thin blackish
greasy smear over the bowl that seems to only move around when I use
steel wool on them.

The stain follows the water flush "track" from the toilet bowl. I
think it is from the disintegrating rubber from the flapper valve or
the rubber seal between the tank and the bowl. They're are 20 plus
years old and due for replacement.

Is there a rubber solvent I can use or is there some method I have not
thought of?

Stop using abrasives and acid. Black stain that "moves around" would
seem to be an adhesive or tar of some sort. Crazy place for that. Only
other black stain I would expect to find in t. bowl would be mildew.
Bleach for mildew. If that doesn't get it, empty and dry the bowl and
try a bit of acetone. Mineral spirits should remove tar. Is this a
relatively new toilet? Have you changed the flapper? Use a toilet bowl
cleaner? Do the kids write with crayon in the t. bowl?