Van

Default washing machine squealing

My whirlpool washer is 7 years old. Just yesterday it started squealing
loudly during the agitation cycle. It was agitating fine just making noise
like a slipping alternator belt on a car. It spun the drum fine and
silently during the spin cycle. I took off the outer cover but didn't find
any obvious belts. It has a transmission that the motor is attached to.
The transmission seems to be sealed from easy repair. Could this be a motor
coupler for the transmission? Only squealing during the agitation cycle and
not the spin cycle? We are calling a repair shop in the morning if it
doesn't seem too easy. What does this repair typically cost? $100? A
google search for "squealing" "washing machine" gets too many
alt.sex.stories returns.

Art

You would have to post your model to get help. It is probably a direct
drive machine. The transmission has a seal under the agitator. If you need
a transmission you might as well replace the machine. Last time I priced a
repair it was $300 with parts and labor. When my transmission went there
was no warning noise so maybe it is something else and someone will know the
answer once you post the model.

"Van" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My whirlpool washer is 7 years old. Just yesterday it started squealing
loudly during the agitation cycle. It was agitating fine just making

noise
like a slipping alternator belt on a car. It spun the drum fine and
silently during the spin cycle. I took off the outer cover but didn't

find
any obvious belts. It has a transmission that the motor is attached to.
The transmission seems to be sealed from easy repair. Could this be a

motor
coupler for the transmission? Only squealing during the agitation cycle

and
not the spin cycle? We are calling a repair shop in the morning if it
doesn't seem too easy. What does this repair typically cost? $100? A
google search for "squealing" "washing machine" gets too many
alt.sex.stories returns.

jeff

"Van" wrote in message thlink.net...
My whirlpool washer is 7 years old. Just yesterday it started squealing
loudly during the agitation cycle. It was agitating fine just making noise
like a slipping alternator belt on a car. It spun the drum fine and
silently during the spin cycle. I took off the outer cover but didn't find
any obvious belts. It has a transmission that the motor is attached to.
The transmission seems to be sealed from easy repair. Could this be a motor
coupler for the transmission? Only squealing during the agitation cycle and
not the spin cycle? We are calling a repair shop in the morning if it
doesn't seem too easy. What does this repair typically cost? $100? A
google search for "squealing" "washing machine" gets too many
alt.sex.stories returns.

Hi,

Since we cannot hear noises over the WWW we would be guessing!!
Something in the drain pump, worn motor coupler, motor, are common
noise makers. Worn agitator drive dogs get noisy but usually
chatter/clatter rather than squeal. The tech may run the washer with
the cabinet off to get a better idea where/what this noise is comming
from....

http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Van

It is a whirlpool LSR7233EQ0. The manual says it is a two speed automatic
with hand washables cycle. I think I got it from sears as a heavy duty
super capacity washer. Took a few tries to figure out where the model
number was labeled on the machine. It was roughly $375 new so a tranny
replacement will find me shopping for a new machine. Anyway, the squealing
was a constant pitch/sound level so I hope that means something besides the
agitator drive. Figure the agitator goes then stops then goes in other
direction. Would therefore change pitch. My job is going to12hr shifts so
no time for me to work on it. The repair guy will be here thursday.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
You would have to post your model to get help. It is probably a direct
drive machine. The transmission has a seal under the agitator. If you

need
a transmission you might as well replace the machine. Last time I priced

repair it was $300 with parts and labor. When my transmission went there
was no warning noise so maybe it is something else and someone will know

the
answer once you post the model.

"Van" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Van

It is a constant steady squeal. Fortunately, I took off the cabinet. As
soon as the agitation cycle stopped and it went to the next cycle the squeal
stopped. I was hoping the agitation cycle put the biggest load on the motor
and forced the coupler to squeal. Other messages seem to indicate that
couplers just let go when they fail and don't make noise. It is a Whirlpool
LSR7233EQ0. Heavy duty super capacity.

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Since we cannot hear noises over the WWW we would be guessing!!
Something in the drain pump, worn motor coupler, motor, are common
noise makers. Worn agitator drive dogs get noisy but usually
chatter/clatter rather than squeal. The tech may run the washer with
the cabinet off to get a better idea where/what this noise is comming
from....

http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

jeff

"Van" wrote in message hlink.net...
It is a constant steady squeal. Fortunately, I took off the cabinet. As
soon as the agitation cycle stopped and it went to the next cycle the squeal
stopped. I was hoping the agitation cycle put the biggest load on the motor
and forced the coupler to squeal. Other messages seem to indicate that
couplers just let go when they fail and don't make noise. It is a Whirlpool
LSR7233EQ0. Heavy duty super capacity.

Hi,

As
soon as the agitation cycle stopped and it went to the next cycle the squeal
stopped.

I'd try without the agitator to eliminate that....tranny/gearbox or
motor are possible trouble makers for sure
Maybe drop the motor away from the assy and run alone in the agitation
mode.

I was hoping the agitation cycle put the biggest load on the motor
and forced the coupler to squeal.

Spin is usually the hardest on the motor.

Other messages seem to indicate that
couplers just let go when they fail and don't make noise.

The motor coupler will make noises when worn...banging, grinding are
more common for a worn coupler than a squeal is.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Van

Repair guy found some wire clips jamming the pump. They first tore up the
blades. The clips were "L" shaped bits of wire for an electric fence wire
that I left in my pocket a few weeks ago. Never figured where the clips
went. $175 and a new pump later, and now I know.

"jeff" wrote in message
m...
"Van" wrote in message

hlink.net...
[...]

jeff

"Van" wrote in message nk.net...
Repair guy found some wire clips jamming the pump. They first tore up the
blades. The clips were "L" shaped bits of wire for an electric fence wire
that I left in my pocket a few weeks ago. Never figured where the clips
went. $175 and a new pump later, and now I know.

Ooops!!

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Junior Member

Hi, Does this mean that a squealing noise is not common unless it's a missing something that was washed? I have a Magic Chef Super and have looked on the internet but some sites are not available to me. We just bought it used and it was working fine the past 9 weeks (a load once a week), and it just started a high pitched squeal.

I thought it was the weight/size of the load, but after removing some items (light but wool coat, etc.) it still squealed during agitation. Then during spin it was quieter.

I am willing to try to repair it... and I really hope it's not completely a goner after just getting it. Only "thing" was a small wallet of cards were washed but I don't think there was anything that could intrude the crevices of the washer.

Thanks for you help!! - ideas, suggestions, etc.
stephaniemh SF, NM

Senior Member

Hey Jeff, long time no see.

Hope you've been well.

Last edited by nestork : November 21st 12 at 04:51 AM