TURTLE

Default Whirlpool Washer Problem.

This is Turtle.

i have a Whirlpool Washing machine Standard with 3 or 4 different wash cycles , No digital but just regular type, and big / med /
small load selector and large capasity model. It's about 7 or 8 years old and had a new timer and water pump put on it about 1 year
ago. It worked good up till today. It just stopped doing anything at all. then i tried it again this evening and it will start to
let the water fill the tub for about 1 to 3 second and then stop all together. You push it back in and pull it back out and it will
start to fill for about 1 to 3 second and then stop doing anything. I said to myself well I'll call my washer machine man in the
morning to come see. I slammed the lide down on it to give it something to think about. The Damn thing went back to working and runs
like a charm now. i run 2 loads of clothes now and it is running real good. Here is my questions.

1) Do i still call my washer machine man to look at it ?

2) Do i wait till it quiets again ?

3) Just buy a Model that you don't have to slam the lide on to make it run ?

4) Do you just have to slam the lide on washer every 7 years or so ?

5) How often should you change washers and drier out ? both are Whilpool.

I don't have time to play with it and the washer machine man does charge reasoniable rate and knows what he is doing. I just don't
work on washers and drier and I'm not starting now. I do HVAC and Refrigeration work and i don't like working on washers and driers.

TURTLE

---

jeff

"TURTLE" wrote in message ...

Hi,

[...]

If it broke once chances are it will break/quit again, but I'd hold
off until the symptoms come back again.

2) Do i wait till it quiets again ?

Yes...JMO!

3) Just buy a Model that you don't have to slam the lide on to make it run ?

No!!

4) Do you just have to slam the lide on washer every 7 years or so ?

That helps tell the washer whom is the boss, but normally speaking no.

5) How often should you change washers and drier out ? both are Whilpool.

Depends on what happens to them or the cost of repair, most will last
10-12 years or so.

It just stopped doing anything at all. then i tried it again this evening and it will start to
let the water fill the tub for about 1 to 3 second and then stop all
together. You push it back in and pull it back out and it will
start to fill for about 1 to 3 second and then stop doing anything.

Intermittant problems are the worst!! The lid switch -normally- will
not stop the filling or agitation from working, it *will* stop the
drain outs and spins. Make sure no buttons or switchs are inbetween
any settings and that they are set on an acual setting/spot.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Henry77

Turtle;
Your best bet is to wait until it happens again (with the understanding
that it will happen when you need the washer the most !). That way when you
call in your washer guy he will be able to see/trace the problem. As you may
be able to tell from the other group in the company I work for I mainly do
heat/refrigeration/ac work but in the slow time (like now) I may be put on
an appliance call and it is frustrating to get there and have it run just
fine ( as per Murphy's Law - "if someone is around in a position to fix it a
machine will not act up"). However judging from reading your post I believe
if you have the tech sheet you should be able to trace the problem
(understand that I don't do "laundry" in my appliance calls (mainly
refrigerators,stoves/ovens/microwaves, and the occasional dishwasher) but it
doesn't seem too bad as it looks electrical and that is where a lot of HVAC
problem are found.

Henry

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Urz

TURTLE wrote:
[...]

Use it until it dies! My whirlpool dryer broke the door switch tab.
Until i get a chance to tear it down, a simple wad jamming the
switch open brought it back to life. You just don't open the door
when the cycle timer is still running.

Now, you said you replaced the timer about a year ago. This may be
the key. I know of your technical abilities because your one of the
most common sense guys over on HVAC news group. You should write
a book. SO, what might the timer change have to do with the problem?
Chances are one of the spade connectors or such lost tension or were
slightly loose from the last timer change. You slamming the door
or such made them make contact again. I know your not ambitious
about doing it, but getting access to the back and re seating and
possibly crimping the spades for a little more tension might
do the trick. Just don't vent any R-H20 or the EPA will be on ya....

When it gets right down too it, the controls circuits of a washer are
not that much different from working on HVAC. Some of you supply houses
probably carry appliance parts too. Just hope you don't need any
sheet metal to fix it

Bob

TURTLE

/
[...]

I have been thinking about jumping on it but these commercial walk-in coolers and freezer are going wild as the warmer weather is
stating up. It does sound like something loose and could be a spade loose. For now I will wait till it screws up and call my man to
just come fix it.

Hey I got about a little less than a 100 sheet of metal at a good price but called back today and ask about some different sizes for
my sheet metal man to do some differenct type work and the warehouse told me what 22 Ga. sheet metal was and I like to have had a
heart attack right there on the phone. They wanted 2 times what the metal was 3 week ago. I told them thank you anyway but I will be
using the 24 Ga. stuff I have for that job.

Yea, i better watch out blowing down any H2O system for they are getting hard on the H2O blowing down of units.

TURTLE

---

TURTLE

"jeff" wrote in message om...
"TURTLE" wrote in message ...

Hi,

[...]

Thank you there. I was thinking of jumping on it but with it working now and it will not mess up right now. I'm going wait till it
stops and then call the washer man. I have already talk to him and set up that when it stopped we will call him to see. He also said
he thought it was something in the line of a loose connection or a messing up switch / timer. I told him if he wanted to come look
if he wanted to but he also said he would like to see it stopped to see about it.

When I slam the lide. It maked it work and made me feel better about being in control.

You say you should change these thing out ever 10 or 12 years if you have any trouble on it. I just may change these things out in 4
or 5 years if it keeps this up. Now I do run the guts out of that washer for kids in collage coming in on the week in and Kind folk
borrowing the use of it. My Mother in law's washer broke and was using mine. I went and bought her one to keep mine from running 6
to 12 loads a day.

TURTLE

---

TURTLE

"Henry77" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm just too slow on Washing machines / Microwaves / Dishwashers. I just don't work on them to keep up with any changes.

Yea , Murphy's Law is in effect at my house all the time.

TURTLE

---

Dave Harnish

Hey Turtle,

Let me add my $.02 here, if I may. Whirlpool's been having
some issues with their washer lid switches, especially since Uncle
Sam made them change to the sealed switch assy's.

They will often go intermittent (a word we hate!), and it sounds
like that's what may be going on with yours. I see quite a few that
just *barely* close as the lid is pushed all the way down hard.
Others, like yours, that have to be hit to close. And way too many
that have the actuator portion broken right off (probably from all
the lid-slamming grin).

Anyway, they're using two switch assy's on these right now, but
if you want to send me your model number I'll be happy to research
it for you. If it does go again, and you don't have anu little kids in
the house that'd hurt themselves with it, you can easily bypass the
switch temporarily until you get another one. I have regular jumper
plugs, but a piece of 12-2 works too.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3