Dinah

Default Scratches on sliding glass door

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

jim

Dinah wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

wwe built a new house in 1973.. our german shepard dog wanted to get
into the a/c house all the time.. the back yard did not have a grass
lawn back then(new house) his paws were always full of the river sand
stuff and it scratched up our rear patio glass doors.. that was over 30
yrs. ago and we never did find anything to take care of it.. the longer
you look at it the more invisible it get.....
Phisherman

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:09:05 GMT, "Dinah"
wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.
Dinah

Huh? Dogs nails don't scratch glass? Sliding glass doors made out of
plexiglas? The door is tempered glass. The dog is large with sharp nails
even after the groomer trims them. She has scratched the door on the
outside when she wants in and on the inside when she tries to get to the
squirrel. If you know how to train her to keep her off the glass please
tell me.

wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

Dinah

I've seen ads about repairing car windshields so I thought there might be
something for scratches on glass. I'm glad you told me it gets invisible
the longer you look at it. Its just embarrassing when visitors come over.
Thanks for your reply.

"jim" wrote in message ...
Dinah wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that

teases
her daily. TIA

wwe built a new house in 1973.. our german shepard dog wanted to get
into the a/c house all the time.. the back yard did not have a grass
lawn back then(new house) his paws were always full of the river sand
stuff and it scratched up our rear patio glass doors.. that was over 30
yrs. ago and we never did find anything to take care of it.. the longer
you look at it the more invisible it get.....

Murray Peterson

"Dinah" wrote in
:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My
dog has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that
teases her daily. TIA

You can polish glass with cerium oxide and a *lot* of patience, but it's
not much fun. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernails, then
they are too deep to polish out. Here's a web site describing one person's
experience: http://www.bostonaquariumsociety.org.../scratches.htm
jmagerl

I too have a sliding glass door that is totally fogged over from the
scratches of two big rotweillers the previous owner had. I would have said
the same thing until I saw this door. I was going to replace the door since
the scratches go from floor to ceiling.

wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

Minnie Bannister

I aqgree with the other posters that glass is very hard, and I would not
have expected that a dogs claws would mark it. Is it perhaps an
anti-glare or anti-UV *coating* on the glass that is getting scratched?

MB

On 03/11/04 08:58 am jmagerl put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

I too have a sliding glass door that is totally fogged over from the
scratches of two big rotweillers the previous owner had. I would have said
the same thing until I saw this door. I was going to replace the door since
the scratches go from floor to ceiling.

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog

has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

Oldylocks

"Dinah" wrote in message
Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

Go to an auto parts store and look for a windshield scratch filler. It
works well enough.
I'd make the squirrel pay for it.
-Oldylocks

Oldylocks

wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

Dogs' nails can scratch any substance... so much for my dream of beautiful
wood floors... and even the best trained dog can go haywire when a squirrel
is sitting on the other side of a window. But it's fun to watch them smash
their noses up against the window and act like real dogs once in awhile.

Scratches are something we dog parents have to live with. Try the auto
glass polish.

-Oldy

dadiOH

Dinah wrote:
Huh? Dogs nails don't scratch glass? Sliding glass doors made out
of plexiglas? The door is tempered glass. The dog is large with
sharp nails even after the groomer trims them. She has scratched
the door on the outside when she wants in and on the inside when
she tries to get to the squirrel. If you know how to train her to
keep her off the glass please tell me.

No, dog's nails don't scratch glass. The sharpness of the nails has nothing
to do with it, only the relative hardness of the materials. Glass has a
Moh's hardness of around 7...many, many, many times harder than the material
from which dog nails - and yours - are made. Can you scratch glass with
*your* fingernails? Not a chance...

If the glass is being scratched then either it has some sort of plastic
coating or your dog's nails are picking up sand which is doing the
scratching.

Seems to me that latter is unlikely for two reasons. First of all, sand
would be unlikely to stick to the part of the nail with which dogs scratch.
Secondly, "sand" is a word that refers to particle size, not composition.
For "sand" to scratch, it would have to have particles composed of minerals
harder than the glass...such minerals as corundum, quartz, et al. Now, you
may well have such sand but *most* sand is of other, much softer material.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Edwin Pawlowski

"dadiOH" wrote in message

No, dog's nails don't scratch glass. The sharpness of the nails has

nothing
to do with it, only the relative hardness of the materials. Glass has a
Moh's hardness of around 7...many, many, many times harder than the

material
from which dog nails - and yours - are made. Can you scratch glass with
*your* fingernails? Not a chance...

Bull****. My small dog that does not pick up sand has scratched our glass
also. Your theory seems correct but in practice, dogs can scratch glass.
Just come to my house and I'll show you.
Ed

Dinah

Thanks Oldylocks.I will try that. I'm on a waiting list for a trap from
animal control to catch the squirrel and turn him loose several miles away.
You wouldn't believe how this squirrel deliberately torments my dog. I
didn't know they were that smart. I need some peace and quiet.

"Oldylocks" no wrote in message ...
"Dinah" wrote in message
Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that

teases
her daily. TIA

Go to an auto parts store and look for a windshield scratch filler. It
works well enough.
I'd make the squirrel pay for it.
-Oldylocks

dadiOH

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

No, dog's nails don't scratch glass. The sharpness of the nails
has nothing to do with it, only the relative hardness of the
materials. Glass has a Moh's hardness of around 7...many, many,
many times harder than the material from which dog nails - and
yours - are made. Can you scratch glass with *your* fingernails?
Not a chance...

Bull****. My small dog that does not pick up sand has scratched
our glass also. Your theory seems correct but in practice, dogs
can scratch glass. Just come to my house and I'll show you.

It is fact, not theory. If your doggie is scratching glass she is doing it
with something other than her nails.

BTW, men *have* gone to the moon. Earth isn't flat either.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

jmagerl

A picture is worth a thousand words.
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl
THis is the door that led out to the dog run. It is scratched on both sides
from them wanting to go out and in. A close up is included. The previous
home owner kept 2 rottweillers out there (I think they were rottweillers-big
brown dogs with stubby tails)

I wouldn't have believed a dogs claw could do this either. (I'm thinking
sand embedded in their claws?)

wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that

teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

Dinah

Sure looks like dog scratches to me. I don't understand the replies that
say a dog's nails cannot scratch glass. I see mine doing it with my own
eyes. Her nails are like razor blades when they get long. I think I will
go down to the glass company and see what they say.

wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches.

My
dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that

teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

dadiOH

Dinah wrote:
Sure looks like dog scratches to me. I don't understand the
replies that say a dog's nails cannot scratch glass. I see mine
doing it with my own eyes. Her nails are like razor blades when
they get long.

It's not hard to understand...soft materials can't scratch harder ones. The
"sharpness" doesn't count; for example, you could put a decent edge on a
piece of brass but couldn't cut steel with it regardless of how sharp the
edge was.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Brian Henderson

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:13:02 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

It's not hard to understand...soft materials can't scratch harder ones. The
"sharpness" doesn't count; for example, you could put a decent edge on a
piece of brass but couldn't cut steel with it regardless of how sharp the
edge was.

But regardless, it seems to be happening all the same. You have quite
a few people telling you that you're wrong, you just don't want to
listen.
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

It's not hard to understand...soft materials can't scratch harder ones. The
"sharpness" doesn't count; for example, you could put a decent edge on a
piece of brass but couldn't cut steel with it regardless of how sharp the
edge was.

But regardless, it seems to be happening all the same. You have quite
a few people telling you that you're wrong, you just don't want to
listen.

Shoot, it is a matter of physics, hard science. Soft materials cannot
scratch harder materials. Harder materials do scratch softer
materials. The fact is that the windows is scratched, so it is
obvious that the dog claws carry materials harder than the glass, if
the glass is indeed scratched and not just a coating on the glass.
Contrary to what one writer said, most sand is composed of materials
harder than window glass.

jim

wrote:

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches.

My
dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that

teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

its the dirt that the dogs pick up on their claws......the grit that
will come out of the ground in the yard or far as that goes also in the
house.... my wife was always wiping the tv screen, the windows in the
house and the windows on my truck... well i got these nice little
scratches in places that no one would have bee able to get to other than
her with her dusting.... the tv screen.. its always dust and will
attract alot of dust/grit from the area... the garage windows when i
use my grinding tools.. or sandpaper.... and she wipes it off(or the
dog moves it along the glass and it scratches.....its not the dogs
nails.. yes they are sharp, but you cant take a plastic knife and cut a
piece of brass with it no matter how sharp it is.......
dadiOH

wrote:

It's not hard to understand...soft materials can't scratch harder
ones. The "sharpness" doesn't count; for example, you could put a
decent edge on a piece of brass but couldn't cut steel with it
regardless of how sharp the edge was.

But regardless, it seems to be happening all the same. You have
quite a few people telling you that you're wrong, you just don't
want to listen.

Oh, I listen, but other people want to change physical laws/facts. If
intrested, one could prove for themselves by clipping a doggie nail then
trying to scratch glass with it. Or - if a dead dog is available - just use
the entire paw.

I don't doubt that the scratches exist, just saying that either they are
being caused by embedded, harder material on the foot or that the glass has
a softer coating. If the latter, i would think they'd know about it though.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

dadiOH

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Contrary to what one writer said, most sand is composed of materials
harder than window glass.

Me. Really depends on the source of the sand and that varies by location.
Relatively few minerals are harder than glass and much "sand" is derived
from rock that does not contain the harder ones.

I agree that silica is one of the most common "sand" minerals but I've seen
lots and lots of sand derived from much softer material. For example, coral
sand from a beach...won't scratch squat.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Brian Henderson

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 02:13:40 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Shoot, it is a matter of physics, hard science. Soft materials cannot
scratch harder materials. Harder materials do scratch softer
materials. The fact is that the windows is scratched, so it is
obvious that the dog claws carry materials harder than the glass, if
the glass is indeed scratched and not just a coating on the glass.
Contrary to what one writer said, most sand is composed of materials
harder than window glass.

Guess it's all just magic then.