Scratches on sliding glass door

Old March 11th 04, 03:27 PM
dadiOH

Default Scratches on sliding glass door

Dinah wrote:
Huh? Dogs nails don't scratch glass? Sliding glass doors made out
of plexiglas? The door is tempered glass. The dog is large with
sharp nails even after the groomer trims them. She has scratched
the door on the outside when she wants in and on the inside when
she tries to get to the squirrel. If you know how to train her to
keep her off the glass please tell me.

No, dog's nails don't scratch glass. The sharpness of the nails has nothing
to do with it, only the relative hardness of the materials. Glass has a
Moh's hardness of around 7...many, many, many times harder than the material
from which dog nails - and yours - are made. Can you scratch glass with
*your* fingernails? Not a chance...

If the glass is being scratched then either it has some sort of plastic
coating or your dog's nails are picking up sand which is doing the
scratching.

Seems to me that latter is unlikely for two reasons. First of all, sand
would be unlikely to stick to the part of the nail with which dogs scratch.
Secondly, "sand" is a word that refers to particle size, not composition.
For "sand" to scratch, it would have to have particles composed of minerals
harder than the glass...such minerals as corundum, quartz, et al. Now, you
may well have such sand but *most* sand is of other, much softer material.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old March 11th 04, 04:21 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"dadiOH" wrote in message

No, dog's nails don't scratch glass. The sharpness of the nails has

nothing
to do with it, only the relative hardness of the materials. Glass has a
Moh's hardness of around 7...many, many, many times harder than the

material
from which dog nails - and yours - are made. Can you scratch glass with
*your* fingernails? Not a chance...

Bull****. My small dog that does not pick up sand has scratched our glass
also. Your theory seems correct but in practice, dogs can scratch glass.
Just come to my house and I'll show you.
Ed

Old March 11th 04, 08:04 PM
Dinah

Thanks Oldylocks.I will try that. I'm on a waiting list for a trap from
animal control to catch the squirrel and turn him loose several miles away.
You wouldn't believe how this squirrel deliberately torments my dog. I
didn't know they were that smart. I need some peace and quiet.

"Oldylocks" no wrote in message ...
"Dinah" wrote in message
Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog
has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that

teases
her daily. TIA

Go to an auto parts store and look for a windshield scratch filler. It
works well enough.
I'd make the squirrel pay for it.
-Oldylocks

Old March 11th 04, 08:06 PM
Dinah

I have seen the dog with my own eyes scratch this door, but there could be
some kind of coating on it.

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
I aqgree with the other posters that glass is very hard, and I would not
have expected that a dogs claws would mark it. Is it perhaps an
anti-glare or anti-UV *coating* on the glass that is getting scratched?

MB

On 03/11/04 08:58 am jmagerl put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

I too have a sliding glass door that is totally fogged over from the
scratches of two big rotweillers the previous owner had. I would have

said
the same thing until I saw this door. I was going to replace the door

since
the scratches go from floor to ceiling.

Is there anything on the market that would minimize the scratches. My

dog

has scratched it badly trying to get out to get to a squirrel that

teases
her daily. TIA

This does not make sense. Glass is harder than a dog's nails, so the
dog nails cannot scratch glass. Are you sure your door is not
Plexiglas? You could train the dog to stay away from the "glass"
door.

Old March 11th 04, 08:19 PM
dadiOH

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

No, dog's nails don't scratch glass. The sharpness of the nails
has nothing to do with it, only the relative hardness of the
materials. Glass has a Moh's hardness of around 7...many, many,
many times harder than the material from which dog nails - and
yours - are made. Can you scratch glass with *your* fingernails?
Not a chance...

Bull****. My small dog that does not pick up sand has scratched
our glass also. Your theory seems correct but in practice, dogs
can scratch glass. Just come to my house and I'll show you.

It is fact, not theory. If your doggie is scratching glass she is doing it
with something other than her nails.

BTW, men *have* gone to the moon. Earth isn't flat either.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old March 11th 04, 08:55 PM
jmagerl

A picture is worth a thousand words.
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl
THis is the door that led out to the dog run. It is scratched on both sides
from them wanting to go out and in. A close up is included. The previous
home owner kept 2 rottweillers out there (I think they were rottweillers-big
brown dogs with stubby tails)

I wouldn't have believed a dogs claw could do this either. (I'm thinking
sand embedded in their claws?)

"jmagerl" wrote in message
I too have a sliding glass door that is totally fogged over from the
scratches of two big rotweillers the previous owner had. I would have said
the same thing until I saw this door. I was going to replace the door

since
the scratches go from floor to ceiling.

Old March 12th 04, 03:35 AM
Dinah

Sure looks like dog scratches to me. I don't understand the replies that
say a dog's nails cannot scratch glass. I see mine doing it with my own
eyes. Her nails are like razor blades when they get long. I think I will
go down to the glass company and see what they say.

Old March 12th 04, 04:13 PM
dadiOH

Dinah wrote:
Sure looks like dog scratches to me. I don't understand the
replies that say a dog's nails cannot scratch glass. I see mine
doing it with my own eyes. Her nails are like razor blades when
they get long.

It's not hard to understand...soft materials can't scratch harder ones. The
"sharpness" doesn't count; for example, you could put a decent edge on a
piece of brass but couldn't cut steel with it regardless of how sharp the
edge was.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old March 12th 04, 07:18 PM
Brian Henderson

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:13:02 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

It's not hard to understand...soft materials can't scratch harder ones. The
"sharpness" doesn't count; for example, you could put a decent edge on a
piece of brass but couldn't cut steel with it regardless of how sharp the
edge was.

But regardless, it seems to be happening all the same. You have quite
a few people telling you that you're wrong, you just don't want to
listen.
Old March 13th 04, 03:13 AM
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

It's not hard to understand...soft materials can't scratch harder ones. The
"sharpness" doesn't count; for example, you could put a decent edge on a
piece of brass but couldn't cut steel with it regardless of how sharp the
edge was.

But regardless, it seems to be happening all the same. You have quite
a few people telling you that you're wrong, you just don't want to
listen.

Shoot, it is a matter of physics, hard science. Soft materials cannot
scratch harder materials. Harder materials do scratch softer
materials. The fact is that the windows is scratched, so it is
obvious that the dog claws carry materials harder than the glass, if
the glass is indeed scratched and not just a coating on the glass.
Contrary to what one writer said, most sand is composed of materials
harder than window glass.