MDO

Default Rock & Asphault Millings Driveway Problem - any suggestions?

Last year we built a new home. We have a 500ft driveway that leads up
to it. Our contractor suggested a base of 3" rock and asphault
millings on top to finish it off to make a nice level surface.

After the fall rain and winter snow thawing, we've got a lot of mud
coming up through the millings. I made a few calls, and it seems the
"norm" is to lay a 5-6 inch base of 3" rock before putting down
millings...I'm told mud will come up through the millings if there is
not enough 3" rock base.

Our contractor really only had a single layer of the 3" rock, so I
think that's the root of the problem...not enough rock, and mud is
coming up.

By the way, I'm in the Midwest (Central Illinois). I think certain
regions of the U.S. use different types of rock, millings, practices,
etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do now? Should I have
a layer of "driveway" rock layed down on top? Is there any special
type of rock that might be best to lay over what was already (perhaps,
poorly) done?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike