Jordan Powell

Default Help with dryer vent on glass block window

I have a dryer vent for my new glass block windows. Unfortunately,
re-attaching the dryer vent has been remarkably frustrating.

The window is three glass blocks high with the vent installed on the
top-most, left corner.

In order to fit the vent around a gas-line pipe that partially blocking this
vent, I have the fire-safe aluminim flex-hose connected to an elbow that I
want to attach to the vent. The elbow doesn't seem to fit snugly in the
vent.

Is there a trick to fitting it snugly? The elbow has two different
ends....one is sort of tapered with ridges on the end while the other end of
the elbow has a straight opening. I guess the tapered end is considered the
"male" end...is that the end I should be fitting into the vent or is it the
female end. It didn't seem to want to fit either way.

Thanks.

m Ransley

Sounds like a STORMIN MORMIN TROLL

Jordan Powell

Pardon? Sorry if my question sounds rudimentary. I really honestly don't
know what I'm doing and I don't want to start a fire in my basement!

Thanks.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Sounds like a STORMIN MORMIN TROLL

*CBHVAC*

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Sounds like a STORMIN MORMIN TROLL

The pie plate end fits into the pipe you want to connect it to. I would not
use flex at all, but rather 4 inch adjustable ridgid 90s...

jeff

[...]

Hi,

Usually there is -some- snugness and some play when fitting the vent
pipe pieces together, but often need to clamp or tape the pieces so
they stay together and air tight. Never add screws as these will catch
the lint.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=109
4 inch Clamp - Two 4-inch clamps for use with dryer venting duct.
Phillips/hex head screws.

The silver ( almost metal lloking ) tape found at most hardware stores
is good ot work with when taping the dryer vent joints.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jordan Powell

Thanks everyone for your help and patience of a home improvement newbie.
Now that those years of renting are over, I'm off to do damage to my *own*
house!

-J

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
(jeff) wrote in message

. com...

The silver ( almost metal lloking ) tape found at most hardware stores
is good ot work with when taping the dryer vent joints.

The silver ( almost metal looking ) tape found at most hardware stores
is good to work with when taping the dryer vent joints.

**Corrected for spelling**

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jordan Powell

Thanks...

This is what I ended up doing:

There was already a fireproof "flexi" aluminum hose connecting from the
bottom of the dryer to a rigid 4" pipe. That pipe runs about four or five
feet up my wall where I have another fireproof flex-hose connected to the
end. At the other end of the flexi hose I've connected a rigid 4" 90 elbow.
All of the ends I secured with the adjustable hose rings that tighten up
using a screwdriver. Then I duct-taped the end of each hose to the pipe and
elbow. I was forced to use the two flexi-hoses because my dryer is located
to the left of my gas line, and the horizontal portion of the gas line runs
just below the top of my glass block window, where my dryer vent is. The
end result is a dryer exhaust pipe that looks something like a backwards
"Z".

For some reason, the female end of the rigid 90 didn't seem to fit into the
dryer vent opening, which is located in the uppermost, left-hand corner of
my glass block window. The vent has a small ringed lip that is 4" in
diameter and I'd assumed the other end of my 90 was supposed to fit snugly
into it. So that's what I did. I was hoping there was a way to "snap" it
in place, but it doesn't appear so.

Thanks again for you patience and suggestions.

-J

"*CBHVAC*" wrote in
message ...

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Sounds like a STORMIN MORMIN TROLL

The pie plate end fits into the pipe you want to connect it to. I would

not
use flex at all, but rather 4 inch adjustable ridgid 90s...

Dryer vent condensation Den Home Repair 2 January 24th 04 09:35 PM
Glass block walls Lenny Brown UK diy 1 October 9th 03 08:24 PM
Excessive lint coming out of dryer vent Dipu Home Repair 2 August 26th 03 06:15 AM