Dave K.

Default Deck advice needed: Should I use Trex?

I posted an earlier message about this, but didn't get many responses,
especially from owners of Trex decks. So I'll try again.

We're planning on having a deck built from either Trex or WeatherBest
composite decking.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have tried either of these two
products.

One contractor told us to avoid Trex because mold and mildrew grows on it
more than on other composite materials, and thus it needs to be cleaned with
a mold or mildew remover 2-3x a year. However, Trex's Web site says as long
as you hose down the deck periodically, and keep it clean from pollen and
other debris, then you won't get mold.

I'm also concerned about fading. We're looking at the light brown colors
that simulate the look of wood. Seems like both composite products say they
will fade, but because the inside of the WeatherBest decking is the same
darker color as the outside, I'm guessing it won't fade as much as the Trex,
which has a darker outer coloring and a lighter inside color. Which product
will fade less, and how much do these products typically fade? And because
the WeatherBest is the same color throughout, I'm guessing it doesn't show
scratches as much ... is that correct?

Lastly, this deck will be high up, so we need a good, sturdy railing. We'd
prefer to have the railing match the decking and be made out of the same
material, but some contractors have told us that we should only use wood for
the railings because the man-made composite materials are not sturdy and
durable enough. However, other contractors have said the Trex and
WeatherBest railing systems are much better now, and that they should work
find.

Any advice or suggestions as to which composite decking and type of railing
you'd recommend would be appreciated -- especially from those who have decks
made from either of these two products. Thanks in advance for your help!!

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.

m Ransley

As i posted before you are a test monkey, so test it . But I like wood
, you can beat it ,burn it, abuse it, RE color it and re sand it and pee
on it and its still wood.

PLUS plastics deteiorate to oxidise as wood wont. Its Still
wood go figure, its a SALES PITCH

m Ransley

Gee my 30 yr old treated deck hasnt got splinters in my feet or got
splinters in my ass, or split or warped as is AJs mind .. GO
treated, Yea PEX Is great to but its not exposed to weather, mold
and life and peee as is AJs head

jmagerl

My swimming pool deck was 1/2 cedar and 1/2 pressure treated. THe pressure
treated part had carpeting on it until I couldn't stand the moss on it
anymore. I am slowly converting it to trex as things need repair.
My observations:
1)Trex does mildew and grow moss. It needs to be cleaned every 3rd year with
a broom and good deck cleaner.
2) I haven't seen much fading on the trex. Parts of my trex are 4 years old.
I was doing the gray trex.
3) The Cedar looks horrible compared to the Trex and after 12 years needs
replacing
4) The pressure treated looks better than the cedar but it too has a layer
of moss on it. I wouldn't have expected that with pressure treated.

Not only is this a swimming pool deck but I live in a forest (all nice and
humid) so the deck rarely drys out. hence all the moss.

"Dave K." wrote in message
[...]

Brad

In article ,
said...
[...]

I've helped install a deck with this stuff before and all I can tell you
is - do it on 12" centers. The stuff moves like crazy when it's hot and
bounces like hell when you walk on the spans even at 12".
Paul

I'm also considering Trex or something like it for the future. I have
a large 7-year old cedar deck that I've used conventional decking
protectants. I've not been happy with the longevity of the finish,
including the high-end stains made by Sikkens. My deck is south facing
so it get blasted by the sun all day. Last spring I switched to
Sikkens' opaque paint finishes and it's holding up very well. It also
looks great with the many color choices available. If I can get 5
years out of this paint finish, I'll probably keep the cedar and
repaint at that point. If it needs repainting in 3 years, I'm tearing
it out and replacing it with a man-made product.

I friend of mine put in Trex about 8 years ago. It's holding up very
well, although it has faded quite a bit. The color has turned to an
unattractive almost gunboat gray. It seems like this is the biggest
complaint with Trex. It does accumulate mildew in places where the sun
doesn't hit it, but it's no big deal. Once a year he cleans it off the
spots with a hose and conventional chemicals. His Trex doesn't look
all that great anymore, but for the most part, it's maintenance free.

"Dave K." wrote in message ...
[...]

PJ

"Dave K." wrote in message
[...]

This site might be of interest....Paul

http://www.ucfpl.ucop.edu/WDFireResearch.htm

m Ransley

My Still cost apx 60 bucks , 20 feet of copper and a big pressure
cooker and a little electric stove. make rice wine in 5 gal jugs and
yippe cooker up. tastes like saki but with a real boot in yer ass