Tree stump removal with rock salt?

Old February 22nd 04, 12:14 PM
Arthur Davis

Default Tree stump removal with rock salt?

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:22 PM
jim

Arthur Davis wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

its not the amount of salt that would matter with a 8 ft. diameter
stump, but how many years it would take to get it to rot.. try adding
some termites to the wood and see if that gets rid of it.... probably
alot faster than rock salt....
Old February 22nd 04, 01:10 PM
[email protected]

A better way is to drill holes in it . and let ite be the base of your
compost pile - surround it it with damp rrotting organic matter .

Old February 22nd 04, 04:55 PM
Joseph Meehan

Arthur Davis wrote:
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump
after scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump.
Does this work and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter
stump?
TIA, Art.

I don't think the salt will help any. It might help kill the tree if it
is not already dead.

I would suggest two options. First get someone with a grinder out there
and do the job in minutes (or rent one and do the job in a few more
minutes). Second let it rot in place. Drilling a few holes in it helps as
will covering it with general yard compost (leaves, grass clippings ect.)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 22nd 04, 05:10 PM
John Hines

"Arthur Davis" wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?

You'll do better with saltpeter, aka potassium nitrate. This is what is
sold as "stump remover".

The nitrates will speed the decay process faster than sodium cloride
(salt).
Old February 22nd 04, 05:59 PM
stevef

I heard once about some kind of a mixture of molasses and some other stuff
put over the stump would create a bacteria that would eat the stump. I
heard this on some radio show.

However, I do not know the specifics and I haven't been able to find the
exact formula.
"Arthur Davis" wrote in message
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

---

Old February 22nd 04, 06:16 PM
Tony Kimmell

"Arthur Davis" wrote in message ...
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

It would take a LONG time for salt to make a stump that big rot away.

Drill several 1" holes in the top of the stump. drill them down as
deep as your drill bit allows. Then fill all the holes with kerosene
or diesel fuel and let it soak in. Every day keep adding more as it
soaks in. After a week or two, light it up. The stump will smolder
for a day or two, and eventually it will burn all away.

Tony
Old February 22nd 04, 06:16 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump after
scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump. Does this work
and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter stump?
TIA, Art.

I use 34-0-0 fertilizer. Drill several deep holes into the stump and
keep the holes filled with nitrogen fertilizer.
Old February 22nd 04, 08:49 PM
[email protected]

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message ...
Arthur Davis wrote:
I was told by a friend that I could put rock salt on a tree stump
after scoring the top and the salt wouldhelp get rid of the stump.
Does this work and how much salt would you use for a 8' diameter
stump?
TIA, Art.

I don't think the salt will help any. It might help kill the tree if it
is not already dead.

I would suggest two options. First get someone with a grinder out there
and do the job in minutes (or rent one and do the job in a few more
minutes). Second let it rot in place. Drilling a few holes in it helps as
will covering it with general yard compost (leaves, grass clippings ect.)

I simply drilled some holes in my stump and then pured gas into the
holes and lit it. I burned for hours and when finished it was very
weak and choppable? (word) It smell good after it burns for an hour
or so.

Explosives: Tree stump removal Crafty Home Repair 73 May 5th 06 06:40 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 10:20 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 01:57 PM
stump removal; 3 feet too high? Doug Mitchell Home Repair 14 August 19th 03 04:23 AM