Repeated noise coming from a GFCI outlet

Old February 18th 04, 04:37 AM
Dan Koellhofer

Default Repeated noise coming from a GFCI outlet

I have a GFCI in my kitchen that seems to keep making a clicking
noise. The GFCI is connected to one other outlet along the
countertop. The funny thing is that it keeps doing this every 15
minutes or so even after it has tripped off (without me reseting it).
This is the same noise as if it is tripping from the on to the off
state. This is all happening while nothing is plugged into the
outlets.

I have tested that the GFCI is working by plugging a light in and the
light works when the GFCI is set, but turns off when I press the test
button.

Is it a bad GFCI outlet?

Is this some way of indicating to a person that it has tripped by
making the noise?

Is there something wrong with the wiring that I need to take a look
at?

Any advice or other thoughts are appreciated.

-DK
Old February 18th 04, 07:30 AM
Anthony Straight

Dan Koellhofer wrote:

I have a GFCI in my kitchen that seems to keep making a clicking
noise. The GFCI is connected to one other outlet along the
countertop. The funny thing is that it keeps doing this every 15
minutes or so even after it has tripped off (without me reseting it).
This is the same noise as if it is tripping from the on to the off
state. This is all happening while nothing is plugged into the
outlets.

I have tested that the GFCI is working by plugging a light in and the
light works when the GFCI is set, but turns off when I press the test
button.

Is it a bad GFCI outlet?

Almost certainly. If it is really still trying to trip after it has already
tripped and hasn't been reset, it is sensing a ground fault where it should
be impossible for one to exist.

Is this some way of indicating to a person that it has tripped by
making the noise?

No. New GFI outlets now come equipped with a LED for that purpose.

Is there something wrong with the wiring that I need to take a look
at?

Possibly. However, it sounds more like a defective GFI. Spend $12 on a new
GFI first.

See also:
http://dotznize.com/electric/?a=gf

--
Best Regards
Anthony Straight

This posting is an opinion only. The reader must use his own judgment and
assume any risk for following or ignoring my advice.