CactusPatch

Default Shower too far from Water Heater; should I install an autocirc pump or point of use?

Hi,
I am doing an extensive remodel. The main shower is at least 60 feet from
the 40 gal.(electric) water heater. I would like to have hot water
available without waiting or using up too much water. I could install a 30
gal heater near the bathroom and replumb the two lavatories and shower. I
also thought about using a point of use (elec) type heater to boost the
water temp until the water from the tank caught up. Has anyone used one of
these?
I have considered the AutoCirc pump that recirculates the hot water into the
cold water line. I don't know if I like putting the water from the HW tank
into the cold water line. Our water has a lot of minerals in it. Has anyone
used this? It claims to save money but I do not see how it would save
electricity. I figured it would save about $2.50 per month in water.
I am reluctant to install another water heater since this might also cost
quite a lot more per year in Electricity. (Gas is not available).
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

m Ransley

Default Shower too far from Water Heater; should I install an autocirc...

A point of use elec could get real hot once the tank water caught up in
the line, unless new ones regulate output fast enough. My gas unit goes
on temp rise , not output temp. Recirclator pumps waist alot of energy
keeping pipes hot. Cant you move your present unit. Or be sure in your
tankless unit it regulates at output temp and you have a shower valves
thats balances temperature.

Joseph Meehan

CactusPatch wrote:
[...]

How about using a dedicated 3/8" line to just the shower from near the
existing water heater. It will not take all that long to get hot water that
way.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

William Brown

How much of the 60 feet is vertical? We have a lengthy run across the
basement and up to the second floor. When we did an extensive remodel,
I put in a second line forming a loop between the water heater and the
bathroom. I insulated one side well, and the other side less well. The
hot water circulates up the well insulated side, and down the less well
insulated, and there is enough unpowered circulation that we have
instant hot water in the bath. I save some water, but of course I lose
some heat. It works best if you put in a check valve that prevents back
flow through the less well insulated side. I'm not sure it would work
as well if the run were mostly horizontal. And, of course, I have
relatively cheap gas heat.

CactusPatch wrote:
[...]

there.

CactusPatch

The house is single story, slab on grade with at flat roof (i.e. no
basement, no attic!). The supply piping is under the slab. I really can't
move the main water heater. It is in the laundry room adjacent to the
garage.
I think it would be difficult to put a new line back to the water heater
(that is ripping up ceilings along the way).
The recirculation pump I am considering is AutoCirc (see autocirc.com). Has
anyone used this?
Thanks

"CactusPatch" wrote in message
[...]

Robert Rushing

Recirclator pumps waist alot of energy
keeping pipes hot.

What about putting the recirlator pump on a timer. Turn it let it run 15min
have hot water. Use less pump time and less heat loss.

Robert

Michael Baugh

Might consider going to a quarter inch pipe with no abrupt angles, with one
per hot-water-using faucet. Takes a lot less time to clear the colder water
out of it. That's the way I did it in the country where we were operating
off a cistern.
Consider how much opening the faucet orifice has. A lot less expense to try
the 1/4" pipe to a point close to the fixture.