wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

Old February 12th 04, 02:38 PM
CBhvac

Default wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
In order to assist Tony (whose messages no longer appear on my screen) I

am
providing the answers to the test. Enjoy!

and as normal, you only have part of the answer..

What if you are dealing with a 3 phase unit???

Try again.

--

1) You say that each of the three compressor terminals represents its own
winding. I know of two windings, but you say there are three. What are the

winding.
I didn't think Tony could answer this one.

2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot". Start provides for extra torque for
starting. On refrigeration compressors, the start terminal is usually only
powered for a second or two, via a start relay. On AC units, it is often
hooked to a motor run capacitor. Run terminal provides the power to run

the
compressor.

3) In terms of temperature, what happens when a terminal is corroded, and
trying to carry current? And in terms of the electrical flow, what happens
when a terminal is corroded?
SM: When a terminal is corroded, it provides a resistance. Also can be
called a "load". This blocks or reduces the flow of electricity, and turns
the electricity to heat energy.

4) What is the electrical current path through a compressor? For example,
which terminal is hot, and which is neutral?
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S
terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal. In some AC compressors, the power is applied to R terminal,

using
C for neutral. S and R terminals goes to a motor run capacitor.

Old February 12th 04, 04:25 PM
TURTLE

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message ...
According to TURTLE :

"Keith Reding" wrote in message
.net...

I bought the house 4 years ago and the unit was about 5 years old when I
bought the house. I don't know that is has ever been flushed. Neither

tech
suggested that to me.

This is Turtle.

If the Tech / service company can't tighten up the connection enough to keep
them from burning off. Two thing is taking place here. 1) He is wanting to
sell you a new condener by leaving the connection loose and let them burn
off. 2) The tech just does not know how to tighten up the connection
correctly.

Turtle, I see _significant_ corrosion on the terminal screw (on at least)
the lower of the two hot spots. See first picture - has the best view.

Not only is the screw and metal conductor corroded to crap, the black plastic
(or bakelite) on the terminal is clearly baked and is going to start
disintegrating.

You can winch new wire down as much as you want, but with that much corrosion
on the terminal, it's never going to stay "fixed".

The pictures aren't good enough to tell if the upper terminal connection
is as badly damaged.

That thing appears to be a relay. I think it needs to be replaced or
refurbished somehow. If it's the start relay (see my other posting),
the contacts may also be sticking (or permanently stuck) and be the
original cause of the whole mess.

I can't believe a serviceman would simply replace that wiring harness without
at least commenting about the condition of the relay. Sheesh!
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

This is Turtle.

He wants to see a condenser unit when it burns again.

TURTLE

---

Old February 12th 04, 05:28 PM
TURTLE

"Rex B" wrote in message ...
Don't be surprised to find that contactor full of ants.
For some reason they are attracted to those things like bees to pollen.
Nothing like a dozen flattened insects to raise resisance.

This is Turtle.

I got my Computor to zoom in on the contactors for a look at the points of the contactor for to see if or how bad they were burnt
and seen no signs of ants. That thought is a very good ideal to look for because they can take a set of contactor out in just a day
or so.

TURTLE

---

Old February 12th 04, 05:34 PM
Chris Lewis

According to Stormin Mormon :
Did you see how rusty that compressor capacitor (condensor, for Brits?) is?

ITYM the damage on the contactor/relay terminal screw?

Yeah.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Old February 12th 04, 05:45 PM
Stormin Mormon

Good guess, but I meant that the capacitor (which is high up in the case,
and the terminals are on the bottom) is rusty. It sure looks to me like the
case of the capacitor is rusty.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

Old February 12th 04, 05:59 PM
coldasice

TURTLE wrote on Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:28:15 GMT :

"Rex B" wrote in message
Don't be surprised to find that contactor full of ants.
For some reason they are attracted to those things like bees to
pollen. Nothing like a dozen flattened insects to raise resisance.

This is Turtle.

I got my Computor to zoom in on the contactors for a look at the
points of the contactor for to see if or how bad they were burnt and
seen no signs of ants. That thought is a very good ideal to look for
because they can take a set of contactor out in just a day or so.

TURTLE

That's because they take soooo many coffee breaks, and always "Forgot
something back at the hill."

--
Aww jeez, now there's some wit-less wing-nut running around claiming you
stole his half.
Old February 12th 04, 06:10 PM
Chris Lewis

According to Stormin Mormon :
Good guess, but I meant that the capacitor (which is high up in the case,
and the terminals are on the bottom) is rusty. It sure looks to me like the
case of the capacitor is rusty.

Yup, I see that too. And the other capacitor left and below the contactor/relay
(terminals on the top) may be even worse.

[Didn't get a chance to enlarge the picture and go over it carefully until
now.]

If I recall other postings in this thread correctly, the previous serviceman
replaced the original single-can "dual" capacitor with two singles.

In summary: both capacitors are rusty, and at least one of the
contactor/relay unit connection terminals is more-or-less heat and
corrosion destroyed - the gray/blue "staining" on the terminal mounting
'ear' (plastic or bakelite, likely the latter) shows it's been grossly
overheated - the metal strap and screw are _badly_ damaged, and it should
not be trusted.

[Another terminal may be just as bad, but none of the pictures show
sufficient closeup detail.]

I think the OP needs a _reputable_ serviceman come visit and test out
the entire thing.

If he stays with two capacitors, the one with the terminals facing
"up" should be inverted. As it is, it's a water/rust trap.

Given the sloppy workmanship, I'll bet that the capacitor values are grossly
wrong, which could lead to wires melting too.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Old February 12th 04, 11:34 PM
Greg O

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S

terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal.

you may want to re-think this one Stormy1
Greg

Old February 13th 04, 02:10 AM
TURTLE

"Greg O" wrote in message ...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S

terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal.

you may want to re-think this one Stormy1
Greg

This is Turtle.

Refrigerator but not HVAC .

TURTLE