CBhvac

Default wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
In order to assist Tony (whose messages no longer appear on my screen) I

am
providing the answers to the test. Enjoy!

and as normal, you only have part of the answer..

What if you are dealing with a 3 phase unit???

Try again.

--

1) You say that each of the three compressor terminals represents its own
winding. I know of two windings, but you say there are three. What are the

winding.
I didn't think Tony could answer this one.

2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot". Start provides for extra torque for
starting. On refrigeration compressors, the start terminal is usually only
powered for a second or two, via a start relay. On AC units, it is often
hooked to a motor run capacitor. Run terminal provides the power to run

the
compressor.

3) In terms of temperature, what happens when a terminal is corroded, and
trying to carry current? And in terms of the electrical flow, what happens
when a terminal is corroded?
SM: When a terminal is corroded, it provides a resistance. Also can be
called a "load". This blocks or reduces the flow of electricity, and turns
the electricity to heat energy.

4) What is the electrical current path through a compressor? For example,
which terminal is hot, and which is neutral?
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S
terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal. In some AC compressors, the power is applied to R terminal,

using
C for neutral. S and R terminals goes to a motor run capacitor.

TURTLE

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message ...
According to TURTLE :

"Keith Reding" wrote in message
.net...

I bought the house 4 years ago and the unit was about 5 years old when I
bought the house. I don't know that is has ever been flushed. Neither

tech
suggested that to me.

This is Turtle.

If the Tech / service company can't tighten up the connection enough to keep
them from burning off. Two thing is taking place here. 1) He is wanting to
sell you a new condener by leaving the connection loose and let them burn
off. 2) The tech just does not know how to tighten up the connection
correctly.

Turtle, I see _significant_ corrosion on the terminal screw (on at least)
the lower of the two hot spots. See first picture - has the best view.

Not only is the screw and metal conductor corroded to crap, the black plastic
(or bakelite) on the terminal is clearly baked and is going to start
disintegrating.

You can winch new wire down as much as you want, but with that much corrosion
on the terminal, it's never going to stay "fixed".

The pictures aren't good enough to tell if the upper terminal connection
is as badly damaged.

That thing appears to be a relay. I think it needs to be replaced or
refurbished somehow. If it's the start relay (see my other posting),
the contacts may also be sticking (or permanently stuck) and be the
original cause of the whole mess.

I can't believe a serviceman would simply replace that wiring harness without
at least commenting about the condition of the relay. Sheesh!
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

This is Turtle.

He wants to see a condenser unit when it burns again.

TURTLE

---

TURTLE

"Rex B" wrote in message ...
Don't be surprised to find that contactor full of ants.
For some reason they are attracted to those things like bees to pollen.
Nothing like a dozen flattened insects to raise resisance.

This is Turtle.

I got my Computor to zoom in on the contactors for a look at the points of the contactor for to see if or how bad they were burnt
and seen no signs of ants. That thought is a very good ideal to look for because they can take a set of contactor out in just a day
or so.

TURTLE

---

Chris Lewis

According to Stormin Mormon :
Did you see how rusty that compressor capacitor (condensor, for Brits?) is?

ITYM the damage on the contactor/relay terminal screw?

Yeah.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Stormin Mormon

Good guess, but I meant that the capacitor (which is high up in the case,
and the terminals are on the bottom) is rusty. It sure looks to me like the
case of the capacitor is rusty.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Stormin Mormon :
Did you see how rusty that compressor capacitor (condensor, for Brits?)

is?

ITYM the damage on the contactor/relay terminal screw?

Yeah.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

coldasice

TURTLE wrote on Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:28:15 GMT :

"Rex B" wrote in message
Don't be surprised to find that contactor full of ants.
For some reason they are attracted to those things like bees to
pollen. Nothing like a dozen flattened insects to raise resisance.

This is Turtle.

I got my Computor to zoom in on the contactors for a look at the
points of the contactor for to see if or how bad they were burnt and
seen no signs of ants. That thought is a very good ideal to look for
because they can take a set of contactor out in just a day or so.

TURTLE

That's because they take soooo many coffee breaks, and always "Forgot
something back at the hill."

--
Aww jeez, now there's some wit-less wing-nut running around claiming you
stole his half.
Chris Lewis

According to Stormin Mormon :
Good guess, but I meant that the capacitor (which is high up in the case,
and the terminals are on the bottom) is rusty. It sure looks to me like the
case of the capacitor is rusty.

Yup, I see that too. And the other capacitor left and below the contactor/relay
(terminals on the top) may be even worse.

[Didn't get a chance to enlarge the picture and go over it carefully until
now.]

If I recall other postings in this thread correctly, the previous serviceman
replaced the original single-can "dual" capacitor with two singles.

In summary: both capacitors are rusty, and at least one of the
contactor/relay unit connection terminals is more-or-less heat and
corrosion destroyed - the gray/blue "staining" on the terminal mounting
'ear' (plastic or bakelite, likely the latter) shows it's been grossly
overheated - the metal strap and screw are _badly_ damaged, and it should
not be trusted.

[Another terminal may be just as bad, but none of the pictures show
sufficient closeup detail.]

I think the OP needs a _reputable_ serviceman come visit and test out
the entire thing.

If he stays with two capacitors, the one with the terminals facing
"up" should be inverted. As it is, it's a water/rust trap.

Given the sloppy workmanship, I'll bet that the capacitor values are grossly
wrong, which could lead to wires melting too.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Greg O

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S

terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal.

you may want to re-think this one Stormy1
Greg

TURTLE

"Greg O" wrote in message ...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S

terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal.

you may want to re-think this one Stormy1
Greg

This is Turtle.

Refrigerator but not HVAC .

TURTLE

---

CBhvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot"

No..there is NO NEUTRAL on a 220VAC compressor...not single, or 3 phase..you
are wrong.

. Start provides for extra torque for
starting. On refrigeration compressors, the start terminal is usually only
powered for a second or two, via a start relay. On AC units, it is often
hooked to a motor run capacitor. Run terminal provides the power to run

the
compressor.

What ASHRAE site you try to steal that from?

--

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the

terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor

motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the

terminal.

you may want to re-think this one Stormy1
Greg

This is Turtle.

Refrigerator but not HVAC .

TURTLE

---

TURTLE

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot". Start provides for extra torque for
starting. On refrigeration compressors, the start terminal is usually only
powered for a second or two, via a start relay. On AC units, it is often
hooked to a motor run capacitor. Run terminal provides the power to run the
compressor.

Christopher A. Young

This is Turtle.

Stormy Listen up. The start winding on a refrigeration compressor will be powered up for no more that 10 seconds and then therelay
cuts power to the start winding and run winding keeps it going.

The air conditioning compressor , the start winding is activatied and keeps power to it when running all the time. This is what I'm
getting at here.

Stormy , Go all out and buy you a Modern Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Book and start reading and it will tell the hell out of
everything we are talking about. You won't have to ask anything but sometime start speaking with some knownledge of what your
speaking about. If you don't have this book to referrence from. Your going to be in the dark all the time.

TURTLE

---

Chris Lewis

According to CBhvac stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot"

No..there is NO NEUTRAL on a 220VAC compressor...not single, or 3 phase..you
are wrong.

He said that, sorta, only a few sentences later on. Poor phraseology on
his part.

Let me say that differently:

The "C" terminal is _common_. It's the "other end" of the two windings
associated with the "R"[un] and "S"[tart] terminals.

In simpler motors, the run winding is energized all the time, the start
winding is energized (through a capacitor to introduce a phase shift) only
during a few seconds worth of startup.

If only the run winding is energized in a stationary single phase motor, the
motor won't start turning, it'll just hum, because it doesn't have any torque
to initiate rotation. If you give the shaft a twist, it will start turning
and get up to speed (but it'll take a while).

The start winding (through the use of the capacitor introducing a phase shift)
introduces the torque needed to get the motor turning from stationary.

[My old 1HP Sears radial arm saw motor is exactly this.]

Three phase motors don't need start windings, capacitors or start switches,
because they inherently have out-of-phase windings. If you feed a three
phase motor with only one phase (using two of the three windings), it'll
sit and hum too. You can get them to come up to speed by adding an
external "start switch/capacitor" or by twisting them mechanically.

[In fact, many woodworkers "synthesize" three phase power by using a
three phase "idler" motor connected to single phase. Add a start circuit (or
pull cord), and you can drive three phase power tools off the three
terminals on the "idler" motor. These "starter circuits" are available
commercially. The setups are sometimes called "rotary phase converters".
It sounds strange, but it actually works very well.]

I'm not familiar with "run capacitor" single-phase motor theory, so I won't
comment on those. [I could make some intelligent guesses, but I'll avoid
embarassing myself in front of people who do these for a living thank you
very much ;-)]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
TURTLE

[...]

Star Buck you got it wrong here. We are talking about HVAC compressor and not woodworking equipment. Woodworking equipment will work
like you say but hvac compressors , the start winding will stay powered all the time and start with a hard start kit jumping out of
the run capasitor. it give it a 440 volt shot to get it moving then cut out. The run capasitor will stay in line on the start
circuit all during the run time.

Now the other endless void of knownledge you give us here is nothing but 3 phase motor being run off single phase power supply. i
know of no commercial supplier that supplies such devices except for places in Mexico where they don't have a 3 phase supply of
power, and have run 3 phase motors on single phase. These devices has nothing to do with hvac compressor in the USA for we have good
power supply and don't need second rate running devices to run the equipment. Here is the states if you want more power to run your
3 phase motors we use 480 volt service and motor and you have no power shortage at all.

TURTLE

---

Chris Lewis

According to TURTLE :
[My old 1HP Sears radial arm saw motor is exactly this.]

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

This is Turtle.

Yes, I know who it is, the from line says who.

Star Buck you got it wrong here. We are talking about HVAC compressor and not
woodworking equipment. Woodworking equipment will work
like you say but hvac compressors , the start winding will stay powered all
the time and start with a hard start kit jumping out of
the run capasitor. it give it a 440 volt shot to get it moving then cut out.
The run capasitor will stay in line on the start
circuit all during the run time.

Slow walking soup-beast, you made a very careful point of omitting
the following paragraph betwixt "My old..." and the signatu

I'm not familiar with "run capacitor" single-phase motor theory, so I won't
comment on those. [I could make some intelligent guesses, but I'll avoid
embarassing myself in front of people who do these for a living thank you
very much ;-)]

Perhaps you should spend a little more time out of your shell reading
the postings you're replying to, and/or, avoid the creative editing
of what you quote.

Now the other endless void of knownledge you give us here is nothing but 3
phase motor being run off single phase power supply. i
know of no commercial supplier that supplies such devices except for places in
Mexico where they don't have a 3 phase supply of
power, and have run 3 phase motors on single phase.

No? You don't? Perhaps you shouldn't speak about things you know nothing
about. A simple google search would help you avoid sticking one of those
claw feet in your mouth.

These are specifically for people who want to run 3-phase equipment
(perhaps an old piece of woodworking equipment they picked up at an
auction) and run it when getting 3 phase power may be prohibitively
expensive or simply not available (ie: wierd zoning codes).

Here's just three links to such units or manufacturers of such units.

1) http://www.isomatic.co.uk/3phConverter.htm
2) http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/12521753/phase.htm
3) Lists approximately another _25_ manufacturers of these devices:

http://www.motionnet.com/cgi-bin/sea...?a=cat&no=4215

#2 has 55,000 of them in the field.

Here's a couple DIY construction articles:

4) http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph...er/3-phase.pdf
5) http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las...seConvert.html

#5 has a good explanation of why you'd want to do this.

These devices has nothing
to do with hvac compressor in the USA

I know that. That was an _aside_.

for we have good
power supply and don't need second rate running devices to run the equipment.
Here is the states if you want more power to run your
3 phase motors we use 480 volt service and motor and you have no power
shortage at all.

Read #5 above. How much would it cost _you_ to get 3 phase into your
garage?

Another aside:

My dad routinely works with electric motors with several thousand horsepower.
Ie: imagine how big a motor you need to drive 5000GPM up a 5000 foot head?
Hint: the impeller is a 12 foot long chunk of stainless formed into 12
stages. The outlet pipe is something like 12" in diameter.

480V doesn't cut it. Some of these motors need a teensy bit more power
than is convenient for 480V. Like 40Kv.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

#2 has 55,000 of them in the field.

#5 has a good explanation of why you'd want to do this.

These devices has nothing
[...]

I have read all the bull**** about 3 phase motor and your great endless Void of knowledge of them , but We are not talking about 3
phase motors and do it yourself home 3 phase converters. We are talking about hvac equipment which you have no knowledge of and want
to empress everybody on 3 phase motor knownledge and we are talking about hvac equipment. Now you say your dad is a Bearing man for
G/E on turbine and electric motors. I'm proud of him but he is the one that works on them and not you.

Now again for your benefit here. The thread is about HVAC or Ref. equipment and not G/E Load Builders. Now i would like to ask you
what you do for a living to know if you have any back ground in HVAC / R business for i have been working in the field and run my
own company for the 40 something years. I mostly do HVAC / R systems under 60 tons or less. What do you do for a living ? I know you
will not answer but I ask anyway.

TURTLE

---

Stormin Mormon

Dear Keith,
Did you get it fixed? What did the local guy do to fix it? Seeing as how
you're the one right there with the system, perhaps you can share your
experiences.
Thank you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Keith Reding" wrote in message
link.net...
I thought I would get my York central AC unit repaired well before summer
hits. The unit is about 9 years old. Last year, the unit stopped cooling
but the fan still ran fine. The repair guy look at it and the wires going
from the compressor area to the capicator had melted and stopped working.
The repair guy replaced the wires and the capicator. A few months later

it
happened again. A different repair from another company installed a heavy
duty wiring kit and the unit worked again for a few months then stopped

when
the wires melted again.

Obviously the unit is pushing too much current through these wires. A
friend said that it might have a starter relay on top of the compression
that is not shutting off after the compresser is started. I have not

taken
it apart to look.

Does this sound correct? I don't understand why the repair guys wouldn't
know this? Any other suggestions on the cause of the problem?

Thanks,

Keith

CBHVAC

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Actually, I know all the answers to the questions I asked -- I didn't

think
Tony did. With Tony Berlin's bad attitude, I put him in the killfile right
next to CBH.

hah like I reallly care, baboon breath. Go back to screwing your sister. Can
you see this now?

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"go fish" wrote in message

On a side note CB, your star will shine alot brighter when you cease with
your
unprovoked attacks on SM. I give the guy credit for at least asking
questions,
its just unfortunate he had to ask them of that brain dead egotistical

tony
berlin.

CBHVAC

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
In order to assist Tony (whose messages no longer appear on my screen) I

am
providing the answers to the test. Enjoy!

--

I am absoloutely positively going to die laughing when I read these answers.
I better intercom my secretary and tell her that I'm not having a heart

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

1) You say that each of the three compressor terminals represents its own
winding. I know of two windings, but you say there are three. What are the
names of the three windings, and what do they each do?
SM: There are two windings. They are the start winding, and the run

winding.
I didn't think Tony could answer this one.

And we didn't think you could get it right, either. Hack.

2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot". Start provides for extra torque for
starting. On refrigeration compressors, the start terminal is usually only
powered for a second or two, via a start relay. On AC units, it is often
hooked to a motor run capacitor. Run terminal provides the power to run

the
compressor.

You think we're impressed by this, you fat useless turd?

3) In terms of temperature, what happens when a terminal is corroded, and
trying to carry current? And in terms of the electrical flow, what happens
when a terminal is corroded?
SM: When a terminal is corroded, it provides a resistance. Also can be
called a "load". This blocks or reduces the flow of electricity, and turns
the electricity to heat energy.

And we are supposed to bow down to you now? Get a clue, moron.

4) What is the electrical current path through a compressor? For example,
which terminal is hot, and which is neutral?
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S
terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal. In some AC compressors, the power is applied to R terminal,

using
C for neutral. S and R terminals goes to a motor run capacitor.

Ah, you got to be kidding. I've got a crew of a dozen or so men working for
me, I was up to 55 employees at one time. We even had our own changing room
and shower. Wow, did I love making snap inspections in the shower. I think a
couple of the guys started to get nervous being around me, though. Do you
think I was too obvious when I got that earring?