Furnace runs but have to manually restart

Old January 26th 04, 04:23 PM
J. Jorgensen

Default Furnace runs but have to manually restart

I'm having a problem with my furnace that I hope someone can shed some
light on. The furnace will run and then usually get to the desired
temperature set by the T-stat and stop. Then when the T-stat thinks
it should run again the the T-stat will show that the furnace is
running (it's an electronic T-stat), but the furance will not kick on.
If I am near the furnace, I can only hear a real faint buzzing sound
(which goes away if I shut the power off to the furnace). If I either
turn the T-stat off and on a few times or turn the power to the
furnace off and then on, the furnace will usually kick on (until the
next go around).

It seems to be a furance issue and not a T-stat issue, but I'm looking
for some help. Unless it is something really easy to fix, I plan on
calling a repairman, but I would still like to be knowledgable of the
problem beforehand.

It is a forced air Lennox furnce about 18 years old. I will mention
too that it started doing this a couple of days ago soon after I used
the electrical outlet on the furnace to power a shop vac (I rarely use
this outlet -- and I don't know if this would be related anyway).

Thanks.

Jim
Old January 26th 04, 06:55 PM
TURTLE

"J. Jorgensen" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This is Turtle.

I wouldn't say you have a thermostat problem but a Failure to start on the
furnace. I would say i would call a service company to see why it is failing
to start.

TURTLE

---

Old January 26th 04, 09:54 PM
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

A) Bull****, you couldn't be more wrong.

B) Stop giving advice on things you know nothing about.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:54:04 -0500, "1991 Z28"
wrote:

There is a sensor around the top of the burners usually held in by one screw
with a wire hooked up, remove the wire remove the sensor, clean with steel
wool or fine sand paper and replace.
"J. Jorgensen" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Old January 26th 04, 11:28 PM
richard p dawson

you are clueless sir, not on an 18 year old lennox.
where did you get this info?
Alt.home.repair ?

Old January 26th 04, 11:29 PM
richard p dawson

you have no ****ing idea of what your talking about
you will not find a "flame sensor" on an 18 year old lennox

next guess???

1991 Z28 wrote:

Gee, did I **** in your WEETIES or something?

Old January 27th 04, 12:08 AM
Doug

[...]

Jim...
I'll try to help while the other boys are fighting it out.
First if it's an oil furnace ( you didn't say) it could be what you're
hearing is the motor trying to start. When you play with the stat it
will at some point, start the burner depending on the inrush of current.
It could also be that the motor isn't starting and what you're hearing is
actually the spark from the electrodes. It'd be faint and almost sound
like a hum. If this unit is gas, you'd need to continue to hope the
other guys put down the gloves and try to help as I've had no training in
gas furnaces. I've had since '75 on oil but up here in Malone NY, no one
has gas.

Doug
Old January 27th 04, 12:10 AM
1991 Z28

You should know that I don't "know much" about furnaces but if it did have
the flame sensor the gentleman could have possibly fixed it himself. Its NO
reason to be such an asshole.

Old January 27th 04, 12:16 AM

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:08:25 GMT, Doug wrote:

[...]

What he needs to hope for is the wisdom to call a pro to come
fix the thing.

BTW, that crap about 'inrush current' is exactly that - crap.
So, you also need to stop giving advice about things you have no
knowledge of.

Based on the posters description of the problem, there is not
one tiny chance he can competently and safely work on this unit
himself.

Old January 27th 04, 01:01 AM

FYI,
If this is Lennox Conservator
'Mid-Efficency" furnace with the Electronic ignition lite pilot lite
and motorized Chimney damper there is a well known problem with the
electronic controls going on them, usually made by Johnson.

Most of the ones here installed about 19 - 20 years ago have either
been replaced, had the controls replaced or had the controls removed
and been converted to a pilot light and no damper configeration.

How do I know? I had a Lennox Conservator G8E model and found out by
speaking to both the gas company and several HVAC guys over the 4
years it took to completely give up the ghost. Lennox makes a retrofit
kit but I wasn't prepared to spend $500 to have it installed on a 20
yr old furnace.

This info may relate or not.

Canadaloon

BTW I had the flame sensor (Lennox part 12F1901, Sensor: Flame sensor
for penn valve) replaced 3 times in 4 years before it finally went.

Old January 27th 04, 01:18 AM
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

The only asshole here is the one handing out wrong advice
about furnaces.

Everyone else is merely trying to get you to STFU, a skill you
seem to lack.