Don Mackie

Default Sealing aroudn a shower door

Just fitting a new aluminium framed shower door. The frame fits inside
the 'doorawy' against laminate board. The instructions clearly say to
apply caulk on the outside not the inside of the join. That just seems
odd to me. I would have thought that the seal would go inside the join.
Sealing on the outside means water will wick between the frame and the
laminate and get at the fixing screws as well as just sitting there
growing bugs.
Anyone able to explain the instructions? I've done what they say and may
write to the makers...

--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro
Roger

"Don Mackie" wrote in message
Just fitting a new aluminium framed shower door. The frame fits inside
the 'doorawy' against laminate board. The instructions clearly say to
apply caulk on the outside not the inside of the join. That just seems
odd to me. I would have thought that the seal would go inside the join.
Sealing on the outside means water will wick between the frame and the
laminate and get at the fixing screws as well as just sitting there
growing bugs.
Anyone able to explain the instructions? I've done what they say and may
write to the makers...

I don't know - but here is a guess. If the frame mounting screws are along
the midline of the frame, then applying caulk, which is also a strong
adhesive, might seize up the screws, and bond the frame to the wall, making
future replacement difficult. Also, I use pure silicone bath sealant vs std
caulk, which is more prone to cracking and mildewing.