New & Improved - N/F John

Default Closing up wall chases in an unfinished basement - air intake.

In my basement, there are an old oil-fired steam furnance and a natural gas
clothes dryer. The temperature is above 50 degrees F in the basement and I
am in Northern New Jersey where it is 15 degrees outside.

I closed up some of the chases where it was really cold in the room above.
I could have also added some insulation before closing the chases under the
upstairs windows as well. In the end, this didn't seem to effect the damper
movement when furnance and dryer were running. I know closing the remaining
chases would be preferable and adding a fresh air intake would be too.

Since the basement is unfinished I suppose closing the chases would make it
less drafty in the basement and maybe warmer upstairs. But adding the fresh
air intake would just dump the air into the basement cooling it again. I
would like to condition the intake air. I thought about running the intake
pipe along the insulated steam pipes and wrapping it with radiant barrier
material. It could pick up some heat. I would put a damper/draft blocker
at the end intake to control it somewhat.

This could sound Mickey Mouse but I think this can be done cheaply and
somewhat effectively. Your comments are appreciated.

m Ransley

Are you sure you need fresh air , older houses leak and should provide
what you need . Dont the chases just lead to the attic where heat goes
out and closing them would be beneficial

New & Improved - N/F John

Everyone needs fresh air, I just want to make sure I get enough. I was very
serious about sealing up the living space on the second floor last year.
There is also a potential for two gas stoves.

I insulated the attic and found the house does not have what I think is
"balloon construction. " The plaster ceiling goes upto the wall plate. When
I was fishing wires in a load bearing wall, I found the wall framing starts
new with every level. This forced me to make holes in walls I didn't want
to.

I agree closing the chases would help, have you done what I propose?

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Are you sure you need fresh air , older houses leak and should provide
what you need . Dont the chases just lead to the attic where heat goes
out and closing them would be beneficial

m Ransley

I had a blower door test and not suprisingly my 110 yrs old house was a
leaker. So after covering the house in foamboard , [ finished with OSB
and cedar shakes] new windiws and I sealed everything . I found it
was so tight my furnace chimney wouldnt draw , it spilled in . I
replaced apliances to forced venting. If your chimney draws with
your vent fans and dryer on you will be ok. Mine would not draw with
nothing on. Only newer homes have been built real tight, Tyvec etc.