Brian Madden

Default Clothes Dryer Heating Element Stays On

Hello All,

I have a Kenmore electric dryer of unknown age.

The symptom was the standard "no heat."

I tested the reg / low thermostats and the hi limit thermostat. Those tested
out ok. I was next going to test the heating coil itself, so I plugged the
dryer in. To my surprise, the heating element came on, even though the dryer
motor was not running.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what position the timer motor is in.
The heating element comes on whenever the dryer is plugged in.

Any thoughts? My guess is maybe a defective centrifugal switch?

Thanks,
Brian

Mike Morgan

My guess is maybe a defective centrifugal switch?

The exact same thing happened to my Amana. It was the centrifical switch.

jeff

"Brian Madden" wrote in message ...
Hello All,

I have a Kenmore electric dryer of unknown age.

The symptom was the standard "no heat."

I tested the reg / low thermostats and the hi limit thermostat. Those tested
out ok. I was next going to test the heating coil itself, so I plugged the
dryer in. To my surprise, the heating element came on, even though the dryer
motor was not running.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what position the timer motor is in.
The heating element comes on whenever the dryer is plugged in.

Any thoughts? My guess is maybe a defective centrifugal switch?

Hi,

The motor centrifugal switch may be bad or has some lint stuck in it,
but a grounded heating element is more common.

http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded.html
What is a grounded geating element.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3367
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2438
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=525502

A few common Kenmore elements.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
jeff

"Des Perado" wrote in message ...
Just unplug the dryer when you are not using it.
Des

Yikes.....kinda dangerous, esp if the dryer shuts off and no one is
around to unplug it!! :~0

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/