TURTLE

Default Hollow ice cubes from a Ice maker

This is Turtle.

Every once in a Blue Moon i will work on a ice maker in a Refrigerator and
was thinking about the hollow ice cubes on the ice maker and what was the
general cause. I had this trouble on my ice maker at my house about 3 or 4
years ago and someone here told me what it was and I fixed it and i have
slept since then and it is starting to do it again , just a little. Can
someone refresh my memory?

TURTLE

jeff

"TURTLE" wrote in message ...
This is Turtle.

Every once in a Blue Moon i will work on a ice maker in a Refrigerator and
was thinking about the hollow ice cubes on the ice maker and what was the
general cause. I had this trouble on my ice maker at my house about 3 or 4
years ago and someone here told me what it was and I fixed it and i have
slept since then and it is starting to do it again , just a little. Can
someone refresh my memory?

TURTLE

Hollow ice cubes: - This is often a low water problem, the fill valve
and shut off valve are bad for getting a build up inside them that
slows the water pressure to the icemaker. I find it best to replace
them both for this type of problem. A very LARGE problem in the last
few years has been the self piercing shut off valve have been clogging
up with calcium and junk! Replace the self piercing shut off valve
with a drill type shut off valve. You drill a 1/4" hole into the pipe
and install the shut off valve the same way you would with a self
piercing valve. Sometimes the shut off valve is mounted on the bottom
of the house pipe and this allows sediment and such to enter the
icemaker lines and can clogg the shut off valve or fill valve, shut
off should be on the top or side of the house pipe. Tired water filter
can slow the fill pressure down as well.

Hope something here helps,

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Joe Morris

Every couple of years this happens to my ice cubes. After trial and error,
I finally discovered the cause was the supply line stopping up in the
fitting where the copper tubing supply line joins a galvanized pipe. The
solution is to take off the supply line and flush it out good. I would
imagine that any impediment in the supply line, filter, or valve would cause
the cubes to be small or hollow. The ice tray is just not getting its full
complement of water during the fill-up.

Regards,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

TURTLE

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

this is Turtle.

i have not changed my water filter in 3 or 4 years and can this be call the
same thing ? Don't Bark i just forgot !

Slowing of the water pressure.

TURTLE

---

TURTLE

"Joe Morris" wrote in message
Every couple of years this happens to my ice cubes. After trial and

error,
I finally discovered the cause was the supply line stopping up in the
fitting where the copper tubing supply line joins a galvanized pipe. The
solution is to take off the supply line and flush it out good. I would
imagine that any impediment in the supply line, filter, or valve would

cause
the cubes to be small or hollow. The ice tray is just not getting its

full
complement of water during the fill-up.

Regards,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

this is Turtle.

i just had a brain fart when reading jeff.

TURTLE

---

jeff

this is Turtle.

i have not changed my water filter in 3 or 4 years and can this be call the
same thing ? Don't Bark i just forgot !

Slowing of the water pressure.

Hi,

Ruff

Inline water filter should be changed once a year, that is probably a
good place to start!

Ruff

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
TURTLE

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
this is Turtle.

i have not changed my water filter in 3 or 4 years and can this be call

the
same thing ? Don't Bark i just forgot !

Slowing of the water pressure.

Hi,

Ruff

Inline water filter should be changed once a year, that is probably a
good place to start!

Ruff

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

This is Turtle.

i changed it out and it seem to have stopped it. Thanks.

Hey is there any other cause of hollow cube that be caused by something
other than slow or cutting down on the water supply ?

TURTLE

---

jeff

"TURTLE" wrote in message ...

This is Turtle.

i changed it out and it seem to have stopped it. Thanks.

Hey is there any other cause of hollow cube that be caused by something
other than slow or cutting down on the water supply ?

TURTLE

Hello,

If the icemaker fill circuit failed and short filled ( bad switch,
messed up printed circuit ) we could duplicate a low pressure fill (
maybe 2-4 second fills ).

Bad thermostat in the icemaker short cycling and starts the harvest
before the cubes are fully developed, this usually makes a mess as it
dumps 1/2 made cubes and some water.

Possibly a freezer set too cold, but this usually freezes the fill
tube over ( as well as low pressure fills will freeze up the fill tube
).

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Stormin Mormon

Well, some places have hard water (which make hard ice cubes) and some have
soft water (which make soft, mushy ice cubes). I heard that Fullabeans, AR
had "hollow water" for awhile which makes hollow ice cubes. If you get your
water from a river, you might have whitewater, which makes white ice cubes.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season