Dave Winslow \(Dad\)

Default Strange Hot air furnace

I recovered an old hot air furnace after it had been removed in a
renovation project. I didn't see how it was originally set up. Above
the firebox is a barrel sot of think, occupying about 2/3 of the area,
laying horizontally. It has 2 pipes or tubes coming out of it, each
about 2" in diameter. They don't look like they have ever been plumbed
into anything, and all is clean as you look down inside them. We were
going to fit a plenum chamber of the area and forget it, but when the
blower is run, very high speed air comes out of them, and when the
burner is on, the air is slightly warm. What am I looking at?
Thanks, Dave W.

Brian in Vancouver, BC

Dad;

Based on your description, could it be a cooling coil? Perhaps it is
designed to be connected to a water-source air conditioning system. The 2"
size does seem perplexing as these seem rather large for the pipes inside
the coil, although it may be appropriate for a header if a number of
smaller pipes are connected to it. Another possibility is that it would be
connected to a cold water system and provide cooling that way, while
wasting one huge amount of water.

Brian

"Dave Winslow (Dad)" wrote in message
| I recovered an old hot air furnace after it had been removed in a
| renovation project. I didn't see how it was originally set up. Above
| the firebox is a barrel sot of think, occupying about 2/3 of the area,
| laying horizontally. It has 2 pipes or tubes coming out of it, each
| about 2" in diameter. They don't look like they have ever been plumbed
| into anything, and all is clean as you look down inside them. We were
| going to fit a plenum chamber of the area and forget it, but when the
| blower is run, very high speed air comes out of them, and when the
| burner is on, the air is slightly warm. What am I looking at?
| Thanks, Dave W.

Dave Winslow \(Dad\)

"Brian in Vancouver, BC" wrote in message
Dad;

Based on your description, could it be a cooling coil? Perhaps it

is
designed to be connected to a water-source air conditioning system.

Interesting thought, but the pipes have no fittings on them, ends are
cut clean.

The 2"
size does seem perplexing as these seem rather large for the pipes

inside
the coil, although it may be appropriate for a header if a number of
smaller pipes are connected to it.

We wondered if it could have been there for domestic water, but the
pipe size and clean end made that seem pretty unlikely.

Another possibility is that it would be
connected to a cold water system and provide cooling that way, while
wasting one huge amount of water.

All our thoughts conflict with the fact that the fan blows a whole lot
of air out of them. It seems they are part of the hot air flow, rather
than just inlets and outlets for the barrel like structure they are
attached to.

Thanks, Dave

default

I don't suppose the thing has a name-plate and/or model number
anywhere on it?

Dave Winslow \(Dad\)

"default" wrote in message
I don't suppose the thing has a name-plate and/or model number
anywhere on it?

It is a Brentwood, Model BOL140.
Under the word Brentwood it reads: Lear Siegler 560705

I would have included this info but furnace is in a friend's garage.
Thanks, Dave W.