Life Expectancy of Cedar Siding?

Old January 8th 04, 02:20 AM
Paul Rouse

Default Life Expectancy of Cedar Siding?

I am building a new house (Mid-West - Near Chicago) and I am trying to
decide between natural cedar clapboard (primed and painted) or a
synthetic such as primed and painted cement fiber board (i.e., Hardi
Board). My builder is strongly discouraging me from deciding on
natural cedar. I have also asked all of the building suppliers in the
area about natural cedar - they all look at me like i am crazy to want
to use natural cedar. The collective opinion is that natural cedar
will only look good for 5 to 10 years (regardless of paint job).
After 5 to 10 years, they claim that the cedar will show serious signs
of decay.

Is this an accurate description considering the cold winter climate?
I am concerned that they are pushing me towards a solution that may
have a higher profit margin (or some other motive).

What kind of life expectancy should one expect from natural cedar?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old January 8th 04, 02:33 AM
Art Begun

I had cedar on my previous home. It comes in various thicknesses.
Mine was very thin and cheap. Nothing would stop it from cracking.
But even the thick stuff needs an opaque stain to protect it from
cracking from the sun in my climate. I would go with the cement
board. Unless you prefer maintaining a house over living in it and
enjoying life, get the cement board.

om...

Old January 8th 04, 05:22 AM
Toller

"Paul Rouse" wrote in message
om...
I am building a new house (Mid-West - Near Chicago) and I am trying to
decide between natural cedar clapboard (primed and painted) or a
synthetic such as primed and painted cement fiber board (i.e., Hardi
Board). My builder is strongly discouraging me from deciding on
natural cedar. I have also asked all of the building suppliers in the
area about natural cedar - they all look at me like i am crazy to want
to use natural cedar. The collective opinion is that natural cedar
will only look good for 5 to 10 years (regardless of paint job).
After 5 to 10 years, they claim that the cedar will show serious signs
of decay.

Is this an accurate description considering the cold winter climate?
I am concerned that they are pushing me towards a solution that may
have a higher profit margin (or some other motive).

My 20 year old house is in the same climate. There is a little decay where
the roof meets another level's wall, but it is otherwise fine. If I wasn't
afraid of heights and was willing to get up and restain there more
frequently, I think that would be okay also. As it is, I will probably have
some trim added to hide it next time I have it stained.

Personally I would go with plastic because I think cedar is too expensive,
but my wife obviously didn't agree with me.

Old January 8th 04, 06:48 AM
Des Perado

I live in a cedar sided house built in 1975 - Pacific Northwest. We have
stained it twice in that time using a semi-transparent stain. Will have to
stain again next Summer while my wife is in Europe. Don't know why, but I
am happier doing big jobs when my wife is not around. No nagging, I guess.
I have no complaints about the cedar. Other than a couple of knot holes
popping out, it is in good shape. Couldn't afford the cedar siding if I was
building today.
Des

om...

Old January 8th 04, 07:13 AM
RB

I've had cedar on my home for the past 12 years with no decay and I'm in
a harsh northern sea coast environment. Like anything, cedar will
deteriorate if not maintained. I have a standing contract with a good
painter to apply stain to mine every two years. He came to me last year
and said that it didn't even need staining on all sides that year, just
those sides that see the worst weather. The exterior looks great; much
nicer than plastic of Hardi Board.

Make sure that all surfaces (back side too) are finished, stain or
paint, before applying the siding. Cedar is expensive enough today that
I wouldn't use it if all I was going to do was paint it.

RB

Old January 8th 04, 03:42 PM
David Babcock

"Paul Rouse" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Remembering that there are different grades of Cedar, and that you would be
happier (although poorer) with Red Cedar as opposed to White.
I live with direct ocean exposure (salt spray, nasty storms, etc.) south of
Boston. The house is Cedar sided, but painted, many times before I got here.
If I were to side the house now I would look into the new Vinyl Siding. I
comes in many styles and appearances, more than what you're probably aware
of. Other than washing the house every year there is little maintenance. And
if you like to change the appearance you can always paint the trim a
different color.
Check out these links:
http://www.gp.com/siding/pdf/154202.pdf
http://www.owenscorning.com/around/e...changelook.asp

Dave

Old January 8th 04, 06:01 PM
Bob

"Paul Rouse" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My house in seattle was was built in 1926 and the cedar is in
fine shape.

Bob

Old January 8th 04, 08:36 PM
Daniel L. Belton

Paul Rouse wrote:

[...]

I have natural cedar clapboard siding on the house I am living in now.
It has been well maintained, and the siding has been here since 1956.
No signs of decay here. looks like it was just put on.
Old January 8th 04, 11:39 PM
BonnieJean

I have a cedar shake home. It's 13 years old and has never been finished. It
looks great.

Bonnie in NJ

"David Babcock" wrote in message

om...