GNTRY

Default Chair Rail Molding??

What seems to be the proper height for installing Chair Rail Molding? Some
are saying 36" and others say 32" ??

montana

In article , "GNTRY"
wrote:

What seems to be the proper height for installing Chair Rail Molding? Some
are saying 36" and others say 32" ??

I've never seen a chair rail at 32"...
Phisherman

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:59:22 -0500, "GNTRY" wrote:

What seems to be the proper height for installing Chair Rail Molding? Some
are saying 36" and others say 32" ??

Some people have high-back chairs, others have low-back chairs. The
proper height of the chiar-rail molding is where the top rail of the
chair would hit the wall !!!
John Leeke

What seems to be the proper height for installing Chair Rail Molding? Some
are saying 36" and others say 32" ??

It seems to me the proper height is the height of your chair backs, since
the purpose of the chair rail is to protect the wall from damage by the
chair. Another consideration would be the style of the architecture. Here in
America an 18th century Georgian style room might have a rail at 26 or 30",
but a 20th century craftsman style might have a railing at 60 or 70".

--

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

26 Higgins St.
Portland, Maine 04103
207 773-2306

www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

tflfb

I have chair rail in my kitchen, its a custom built house, the rail is 36
inches to the top from the floor. When installed the builder had no idea
what type chairs I had, the chairs are not close enough to the wall, but if
they were it would match up to the chair back.

Tom