kevins_news

Default Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

My house (and furnace) is now 1.5 years old. Brand new construction
1.5 years ago. Since it is our first house we didn't think about
things like putting in a different furnace. We picked the colors,
cabinets, hardwood, countertops, and just let the builder put in all
their default models for things like doors, windows, furnace, etc.

I assume i have what people call a Natural Gas Mid Efficiency furnace.
Since all the high efficiency ones advertize multiple fan speeds
(which mine doesn't have) i would assume mine isn't one of those.

First some questions:

Are the energy savings from HE furnaces in the electircy needed to run
the fan? Or the efficiency of burning the gas (ie uses less gas to
make same amount of heat)? Or something else? And what is the
purpose of multiple fan speeds? Is this so you can leave the fan on a
low setting constantly to keep air circulation happening? Other than
allowing the air filter to be constantly working, what is the purpose
of this?

Would it be worthwhile to replace mine with high efficiency even
though it (and the building) is so new. two story, 1700 square feet
townhouse. On the main floor only two walls are exposed to the
outside. The other two walls are shared with neighbouring townhouses.
Our entire 2nd story is exposed though since neither neighbour has a
2nd floor.

We are pretty energy conscious so i bet the furnace is already
running less than the average household. I'd hate to spend $3000
(Canadian) on a furnace and find out i save only $100 a year in
gas/electiricty.

Are there any theoretical numbers? A TV commercial says "It will save
the average household X dollars a month" but with no indication of
what "average" is. Maybe someone has a study where a mid efficiency
furnace runs for X hours a day to heat the house, and a HE furnace
would only run for Y hours. I could use that ratio to estimate
something.

Any thoughs appreciated.
Jerry G.

First of all, don't listen to TV adds directly. To know what you may save
will be a complex issue. There are many factors such as the actual required
BTU's, how the heat will be distributed, the type of air flow effect, the
heat loss in the home, and other things I can not even think of at this
time.

There is also the ratio of the cost of the amount of energy difference
between the two systems to give you the BTU's you require in the first
place, and the system efficiency. When you sit down and scientifically work
in all the factors, since your home is not a thermo precision environment,
you may find that the results can be different than what you speculated in
the first place.

It would take someone with a lot of experience and knowledge to really work
this out for you. If you call in one of those salesmen from these
companies, all he will see is his commission for selling you a system. He
will then come up with all kinds of charts, figures, and examples to justify
what he is going to sell you.

For an example, you can look at what your neighbours are doing since the
climate of the area is the same, and their house construction must be
similar. You can enquire to them about their heating costs, and type of
heating system that they have. You have to factor in, if they are leaving
the doors, or windows opened more often, and or leaving the garage opened
longer. These things will show a difference on the average. There is even
the factor of how the wind blows on the building, how much sun light they
are receiving, and even the colour of the outside walls and roof in some
cases. Darker colours will tend to heat up more when the sun is shining.
This will contribute to a slight amount of less heat loss, even though the
house is insulated. In the summer, a dark coloured exterior may infact
increase the air conditioning costs.

If you look at the cost difference that you may save, over the lifespan of
the heating system you choose to change to, and the maintenance required,
you may find that there may be very little recovery or non at all, that
makes it worth the time and effort.

If you do not have central air conditioning, you may want to consider a heat
pump. this would cost about the same or a bit more than changing a furnace.
With temperatures that are not colder than about -15 Cells (depending on the
type), the heat pump will act as a heater, and will air condition in the
summer. These are more efficient than most other systems. If you have a
central system that uses forced air, there will be no need for extra duct
work. You may recover some of the cost, but there are other conveniences
with this type of system.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"kevins_news" wrote in message
news My house (and furnace) is now 1.5 years old. Brand new construction
[...]

Michael Daly

On 6-Jan-2004, kevins_news wrote:

My house (and furnace) is now 1.5 years old. Brand new construction
1.5 years ago.

[...]
Would it be worthwhile to replace mine with high efficiency even
though it (and the building) is so new.

It is unlikely that you'd save enough to justify the $3K on the new one.
Even $100 per year takes 30 years to recover the cost. There is only a
small difference in the energy efficiency between the mid- and high-
efficiency units. We are moving and the new place has a high efficiency
FAG unit. The home inspector told us that the high efficiency furnaces
tend to have higher maintenance costs and that pretty much wipes out the
saving compared to mid-efficiency. I haven't verified his claim on
maintenance costs, but he is a good inspector and we've dealt with him
before and found him to be reliable.

If you want to save money, you'd probably be able to do more with $3k
in other areas

- Install a computerized thermostat if you don't already have one.
Set the temp back during the day (if no one's home) and overnight.
Buy everyone a nice comforter :-). If you double the thickness
of the drywall in every room, you'll decrease the temp fluctuations
by adding to the thermal mass.

- Change lights from incandecent to compact fluorecent

- Make sure you close curtains at night and on the north side during
the day. Make sure they're open on the south side to get sun.

- Make sure your vapour barrier is complete. Many new homes in the
Toronto area (for example) have a vapour barrier installed prior to
the electrical, hvac and plumbing. The result is that the vapour
barrier is ripped up and compromised by these thradesman. Patch and
plug any leaks they've made.

- Plug any other air leaks. If you don't have a heat-recover ventilator,
look into adding one.

- Electric water heat? - insulate the tank.

- Check the attic insulation - the odds are you can top it up.

- If you have half-wall insulation in the basement, add insulation right
to the floor.

There are a gazzillion other thnigs you can do.

Mike
Art Begun

Even if you saved 30% (highly optomistic) it would probably never pay
for itself. Besides, in 10 years when your current furnace may need
to be replaced, there will be even more efficient furnaces on the
market at lower prices.

[...]

HeatMan

In line...

"kevins_news" wrote in message
news
My house (and furnace) is now 1.5 years old. Brand new construction
1.5 years ago. Since it is our first house we didn't think about
things like putting in a different furnace. We picked the colors,
cabinets, hardwood, countertops, and just let the builder put in all
their default models for things like doors, windows, furnace, etc.

I assume i have what people call a Natural Gas Mid Efficiency furnace.
Since all the high efficiency ones advertize multiple fan speeds
(which mine doesn't have) i would assume mine isn't one of those.

It probably a multi speed blower, even if it is a builder's grade furnace.
US Energy code says the lowest efficiency furncae out there is 78%. I
haven't seen a 78 in a few years as most are 80%.

First some questions:

Are the energy savings from HE furnaces in the electircy needed to run
the fan? Or the efficiency of burning the gas (ie uses less gas to
make same amount of heat)?

Some is in the blower efficiency, but not all. Mostly it has to do with the
efficiency of the burning gas.

And what is the purpose of multiple fan speeds? Is this so you can leave

the fan on a
low setting constantly to keep air circulation happening? Other than
allowing the air filter to be constantly working, what is the purpose
of this?

Furnaces are set up for a specific temprature rise. The multiple speeds are
for setting this 'Delta T.' Some of the equiptment has a setting for
continous circulation for better air filtration, but probably not yours.

Would it be worthwhile to replace mine with high efficiency even
though it (and the building) is so new. two story, 1700 square feet
townhouse. On the main floor only two walls are exposed to the
outside. The other two walls are shared with neighbouring townhouses.
Our entire 2nd story is exposed though since neither neighbour has a
2nd floor.

If you asked me this question while I was at your house, I'd stifle a grin
and say a resounding "NO!" You'll never make the return on your investment,
in my opinion.

We are pretty energy conscious so i bet the furnace is already
running less than the average household. I'd hate to spend $3000
(Canadian) on a furnace and find out i save only $100 a year in
gas/electiricty.

Good for you.

Are there any theoretical numbers? A TV commercial says "It will save
the average household X dollars a month" but with no indication of
what "average" is. Maybe someone has a study where a mid efficiency
furnace runs for X hours a day to heat the house, and a HE furnace
would only run for Y hours. I could use that ratio to estimate
something.

Don't beleive everything you hear. I'd like to think those commercials are
for the people that have furnaces a lot older than yours.

Any thoughs appreciated.

You're welcome.

R Doornbosch

OK but what about the difference between a new oil furnace and a new natural
gas furnace? I was all set to go with a new high efficiency natural gas
furnace when I started talking to the local heating guys who mentioned that
the delivery cost of natural gas keeps rising and that they think a new oil
furnace would cost less in the long run. Any ideas or comments?

Michael Daly

On 6-Jan-2004, "R Doornbosch" wrote:

the local heating guys who mentioned that
the delivery cost of natural gas keeps rising and that they think a new oil
furnace would cost less in the long run. Any ideas or comments?

Years ago they told everyone to switch to gas, since oil costs keep rising.
It's a cyclical thing - we used to heat with coal, coal oil, oil, now gas.
Every one has its day and advances in technology, changes in relative cost etc
will keep us changing heating methods every so often. If fusion technology
actually happens (1st fusion plant is scheduled to be build "soon") we may
end up switching to electric ground-source heat pumps.

What you want to do is go with the most efficient "system", not furnace.
A high efficiency furnace in a leaky, uninsulated house is not as good
as a low-efficiency heater in a well-insulated house. Some passive solar
houses use wood heat for a backup and wood heat is not very efficient -
it nonetheless creates a cost-effective solution.

If you have an _old_ inefficient furnace, replace it. Otherwise, fix
up the house so that the entire _system_ is efficient.

Mike
kevins_news

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:55:49 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 6-Jan-2004, kevins_news wrote:

My house (and furnace) is now 1.5 years old. Brand new construction
1.5 years ago.

[...]
Would it be worthwhile to replace mine with high efficiency even
though it (and the building) is so new.

It is unlikely that you'd save enough to justify the $3K on the new one.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have friends who have bought
old houses and need to replace their 20-25year old furnaces. They're
buying high efficiency ones. While it is a good idea for them, i kind
of figured it wouldn't be for me.

If you want to save money, you'd probably be able to do more with $3k
in other areas

- Install a computerized thermostat if you don't already have one.
Set the temp back during the day (if no one's home) and overnight.
Buy everyone a nice comforter :-).

Done. We like it cold at night. Especially since the wife is a
heater herself.

- Change lights from incandecent to compact fluorecent

Done.

- Make sure you close curtains at night and on the north side during
the day. Make sure they're open on the south side to get sun.

Yep.

- Make sure your vapour barrier is complete. Many new homes in the
Toronto area (for example) have a vapour barrier installed prior to
the electrical, hvac and plumbing. The result is that the vapour
barrier is ripped up and compromised by these thradesman. Patch and
plug any leaks they've made.

Bingo. How do i do this? I noticed when i messing with a phone
outlet on one wall. It's a wall that is perpendicular to an outside
wall (one of the walls my townhouse shares with the neighbour). The
outlet is 8 feet in from the outside wall. When i took off the
coverplate i could feel a slight cold air breeze. Is this somehow
pluggable right around the outlet or do i have to track down the hole
in the vapor barrier on the outside wall?

Just FYI, this 'party wall' between townhouses is made of my paint,
drywall, studs&insulation, 3 layers of drywall, thier
studs&insulation, drywall and their paint. So i don't think there's
leakage between houses.

- Plug any other air leaks. If you don't have a heat-recover ventilator,
look into adding one.

Funny. A month after moving in we went to a homeshow where we found
out about about all these things for the first time. If only we'd
done this before so that we could have paid to have these upgrades
done at build time since they would have been relativly cheep at that
time instead of expensive upgrades now. Things like HE furnaces,
whole house ventilation with heat-recover, better windows, extra
insulation in the walls, etc.

- Electric water heat? - insulate the tank.

Gas. I thought about buying the $20 water tank insulating blankets at
home depot.

- Check the attic insulation - the odds are you can top it up.

Blown cellulose stuff. R42 (or 32, can't remember). But one can always
add more.

- If you have half-wall insulation in the basement, add insulation right
to the floor.

Down to floor.

There are a gazzillion other thnigs you can do.

I've seen a few websites and read many usnet postings. So far all the
'little things' i've found to do are pretty much the ones you
mentioned. Is there another good source of things like the above that
one can do?

The plan is to, sometime in the future, build a strawbale (or other
highly efficient) house more out in the country with wind and solar
generators. Possibly even go so far as to put in water reclamation
facilites and whatnot. We'd love to be completly, or at least mostly,
off the grid.

Thanks again.
Michael Daly

On 6-Jan-2004, kevins_news wrote:

Bingo. How do i do this?

The biggest problem is getting to the leak if the whole whose is finished.
An unfinished basement gets you to the place where many of the external
connections (plumbing - like outside water tap, electrical, phone/cable
etc), so you can close those. If you have a suspended ceiling try removing
some panels near the outside walls and see how it looks.

I noticed when i messing with a phone
outlet on one wall. It's a wall that is perpendicular to an outside
wall (one of the walls my townhouse shares with the neighbour). The
outlet is 8 feet in from the outside wall. When i took off the
coverplate i could feel a slight cold air breeze. Is this somehow
pluggable right around the outlet or do i have to track down the hole
in the vapor barrier on the outside wall?

You can get an airtight box and seal the cover for any electical outlet.
Not as good as getting to the source of the leak, but adequate otherwise.
Check the front and back walls for any obvious leaks - the external
phone connector (sometimes a box) could be open. Don't plug a weeping
hole in the brick though.

Holes are often made for external air conditioning line, phone/cable
electrical service etc. Find and seal them from the outside if you can't
get to the vapour barrier inside.

If only we'd
done this before so that we could have paid to have these upgrades
done at build time since they would have been relativly cheep at that
time instead of expensive upgrades now. Things like HE furnaces,
whole house ventilation with heat-recover, better windows, extra
insulation in the walls, etc.

Ahhh... 20/20 hindsight - just think what your _next_ house will be like
:-)

Is there another good source of things like the above that
one can do?

Keep looking - I can't think of any single source. Perhaps someone else
can.

The plan is to, sometime in the future, build a strawbale (or other
highly efficient) house more out in the country with wind and solar
generators. Possibly even go so far as to put in water reclamation
facilites and whatnot. We'd love to be completly, or at least mostly,
off the grid.

You and me both - I'm close to doing this, it all depends on finding
a job in a place where I can afford the land. T.O. is toooo $$$$$.

Mike
TAB Dude

SNIP - Just FYI, this 'party wall' between townhouses is made of my paint,
drywall, studs&insulation, 3 layers of drywall, thier
studs&insulation, drywall and their paint. So i don't think there's
leakage between houses. -

There could be a great deal of leakage in this wall. If there are any pipe
chases, electrical runs, duct runs or other penetrations that go from the
basement to the attic, the wall structure will act as a chimney pumping heat
from the house to the attic. Have a contractor with a blower door come in a
test your house. He can tell you how much your house leaks and where the
serious leaks are.

TAB Dude

Art Begun

One place to look for energy leak is under the bottom row of siding.
I often see huge gaps there. Check with an inspection mirror. If you
see a gap it needs to be filled with backer rod and silicone. Will
keep air in and bugs out.

George E. Cawthon

kevins_news wrote:

[...]

Sure, calculate the annual therms and cost of your gas now.
Find out the efficiency of your current furnace and the
efficiency of what you would replace it. As a ratio of the
efficiency ratings, calculate the annual therms. You will
probably find that your payout on a $3000 furnace would take
forever. If you like your present furnace, forget it. The
more efficient furnace will likely be more noisy.
CBhvac

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Sure, calculate the annual therms and cost of your gas now.

And gas projected costs in a year, 2, 3, 5 years out.

Find out the efficiency of your current furnace and the
efficiency of what you would replace it.

Either a 80%, or a 90%..and its easy to find out if someone would post a
model number...

As a ratio of the
efficiency ratings, calculate the annual therms.

You will
probably find that your payout on a $3000 furnace would take
forever.

Not forever, but longer than the unit will last.

If you like your present furnace, forget it. The
more efficient furnace will likely be more noisy.

Doubt that. Installed correctly, sealed combustion units are all but silent
upon fire. The blower makes more noise than the burners.

Martik

You will
probably find that your payout on a $3000 furnace would take
forever.

Not forever, but longer than the unit will last.

The payback is negative if the (fuel savings - high maintenance costs) are
less than the investment return on the $3000.
kjpro

"HeatMan" wrote in message
hlink.net...
In line...

[...]

As I agree with most of your posting,
did you see he lives in Canada?

The difference in the higher efficiency furnace may pay off.

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

kjpro

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Heat pump in Canada?
I don't think that would be a wise investment.

[...]

CBhvac

"Martik" wrote in message
news

You will
probably find that your payout on a $3000 furnace would take
forever.

Not forever, but longer than the unit will last.

The payback is negative if the (fuel savings - high maintenance costs) are
less than the investment return on the $3000.

Actually...lets get one thing clear.
There is never a payback period.
None.
Ever.

You buy the unit....its saving you $XX a month. Big deal. You still have to
pay to run it, and you still have to buy fuel for it. Unless you are using
an old 1950 Chrysler Airtemp with a gas valve pressure thats so damn off its
blowing black soot, and running the unit so hot its TR is about 100F above
factory spec, and have been doing that for years, even a 94% wont really do
much but lower the expense per month to use the unit.

Payoff periods are a sales technique that the public actually enjoys. I dont
use them. Someone asks me what the payoff period for a new unit is, I tell
them about 15 minutes after I hand you the bill....it will take that long to
read the warranty to you and familiarize you with the controls, and for you
to write a check....then of course, we pull out the States calculation sheet
and show them what they might save....thats MIGHT.

If you have a $400 a month gas bill, and you put in a unit and its only
using $200 a month, you STILL have a $200+ a month investment in the unit.

IF you have a gas unit thats using $200 a month and you put in a heat pump
that eliminates your fuel bill, but raises your electrical by $100 a month,
you still have $100 a month going into that machine.

Payoff? Depends on how you look at it. Some see it different than others.

Oscar_Lives

"Martik" wrote in message
news

You will
probably find that your payout on a $3000 furnace would take
forever.

Not forever, but longer than the unit will last.

The payback is negative if the (fuel savings - high maintenance costs) are
less than the investment return on the $3000.

OK-- who left the sky light open? We got us an MBA in here now...

CBhvac

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Martik" wrote in message
news

You will
probably find that your payout on a $3000 furnace would take
forever.

Not forever, but longer than the unit will last.

The payback is negative if the (fuel savings - high maintenance costs)

are
less than the investment return on the $3000.

OK-- who left the sky light open? We got us an MBA in here now...

Dammit man..I handed YOU the tamper proof Torx and the driver...

Michael Daly

On 6-Jan-2004, "kjpro" ( kjpro @ starband . com ) see-my-sig-for-e-mail wrote:

As I agree with most of your posting,
did you see he lives in Canada?

The difference in the higher efficiency furnace may pay off.

Yes all of us Canadians live in -60C temps 10 months of the year.

Reality - there isn't that much difference between northern US and
Southern Canada. It's unlikely that the higher efficiency will
pay off. I've done the numbers several times in the past and even
the higher gas prices today won't make a difference.

Mike

PS - lots of heat pumps up here.

Michael Daly

On 6-Jan-2004, "Art Begun" wrote:

One place to look for energy leak is under the bottom row of siding.

That leak should be outside the vapour barrier. Better to fix the vapour
barrier and let the insulation breath.

Mike

Tony Hwang

Michael Daly wrote:

On 6-Jan-2004, "kjpro" ( kjpro @ starband . com ) see-my-sig-for-e-mail wrote:

As I agree with most of your posting,
did you see he lives in Canada?

The difference in the higher efficiency furnace may pay off.

Yes all of us Canadians live in -60C temps 10 months of the year.

Reality - there isn't that much difference between northern US and
Southern Canada. It's unlikely that the higher efficiency will
pay off. I've done the numbers several times in the past and even
the higher gas prices today won't make a difference.

Mike

PS - lots of heat pumps up here.

Hi,
Here in Alberta, if NG price goes over 5.50 per Giga Joule, government
makes up after that in the form of direct rebate. It is ~7.50 now.
I still pay only 5.50.
Isn't it nice?!

American Mechanical

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

The
more efficient furnace will likely be more noisy.

????

Based on what? I'm going to have to see some info to support that, many
higher efficiency units have variable speed blowers that ramp to speed,
reducing blower noise etc. Just don't install a Lennox Pulse if you're
concerned with noise, we're not talking Atta-Boy's here! ;-)

- Robert

George E. Cawthon

CBhvac wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

((snipped))
If you like your present furnace, forget it. The
more efficient furnace will likely be more noisy.

Doubt that. Installed correctly, sealed combustion units are all but silent
upon fire. The blower makes more noise than the burners.

My Amana is 80 percent (if you devide output by input
rating) and it sure isn't quiet, so I guess it doesn't
qualify as a sealed combustion. The burner is just about as
loud as the blower.

That's what I meant, the blower. Will probably be in
operation more of the time. Total blower time should be
longer and even if the blower operates at a lower speed and
is quieter at that time much of the time, there is still
noise that may be irritating.

George E. Cawthon

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

The
more efficient furnace will likely be more noisy.

????

Based on what? I'm going to have to see some info to support that, many
higher efficiency units have variable speed blowers that ramp to speed,
reducing blower noise etc. Just don't install a Lennox Pulse if you're
concerned with noise, we're not talking Atta-Boy's here! ;-)

- Robert

Based on surmise. You are just considering loudness. I
would expect the more efficient furnaces to run the blower
more of the time, especially if they use multiple blower
speeds. Just because the blower doesn't run at full speed
doesn't mean the blower noise isn't irritating and that
could be considered more noise, or noise more of the time.
I prefer a house to be dead quiet but it seledom is due to
the computer and refrigerator, let alone the furnace.
Noon-Air

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

THen you definately don't want a Goodman either

kevins_news

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:42:40 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

A small furnace noise observation: I was quite annoyed with my furnace
for the first few months. Sometimes it seemed quiet but quite often
there was a rather loud, slow, and pulsing resonant sound coming from
it that could be heard through the entire house. At first i thought it
was fan noise but strangely enough this would be louder up in the
bedroom than when i stood downstairs by the furnace. I eventually
just gave up and assumed our ducts were resonating somewhere in the
wall.

A few months after that we painted one living room wall and i was up
on a ladder near the return air intake. It was a very wide vent (2
feet whereas all the others were 1 or 1.5 feet). Turns out it is the
vent cover that was resonating. Not vibrating against the wall or the
duct. But resonating itself. I stiffened it up with a piece of wood
on the inside and now all is quiet. I have to stick my foot infront
of a register to tell if the furnace is running.
Childfree Scott

No. Going from a ~80% efficient furnace to maybe a ~92% or 95%
furnace isn't going to make that much of a difference to you.
Art Begun

One of my 3 furnaces made a terrible rumble when it started up.
Couldn't figure it out until I was in the basement standing next to it
when it started up and I saw the PVC exhaust pipe vibrating against
the gas intake pipe just at startup. A sponge between the 2 solved
that problem.

American Mechanical

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

The
more efficient furnace will likely be more noisy.

????

Based on what? I'm going to have to see some info to support that, many
higher efficiency units have variable speed blowers that ramp to speed,
reducing blower noise etc. Just don't install a Lennox Pulse if you're
concerned with noise, we're not talking Atta-Boy's here! ;-)

- Robert

Based on surmise. You are just considering loudness. I
would expect the more efficient furnaces to run the blower
more of the time, especially if they use multiple blower
speeds.

And you would be correct. Most often, the blower may be set to run
continuous at about 1/2 capacity allowing moe even comfort.

Just because the blower doesn't run at full speed
doesn't mean the blower noise isn't irritating and that
could be considered more noise, or noise more of the time.

True, but if the ductwork is sized and installed properly - *TaDa* quiet.

I prefer a house to be dead quiet but it seledom is due to
the computer and refrigerator, let alone the furnace.

See above ductwork reference and take unit location into account when
building. I understood your reference to indicate that you were advising
the higher efficiency to be likely louder than the OP's almost new std. eff.
That's just not normally the case, IMHO. Oh, and turn on a bit of music,
it'll cover up that fridge & computer. ;-)

- Robert

Michael Daly

On 6-Jan-2004, "Art Begun" wrote:

I disagree. Latex paint on the siding will let the vapor breath.

Not if the siding is aluminum, steel, vinyl etc.

The cold air leaking in could cause condensation to form.

Cold air is usually relatively dry and enters the cold side of the
insulation - not much condensation. If there is condensation, having
open air flow on that side allows it to dry. I know of designs where
architects have specified an air gap at the top and bottom of the
cladding to ensure the insulation can breathe on the outside. Both
openings covered with fine mesh to keep out the mousies.

Mike
Art Begun

I know for a fact that vinyl had weep holes built in. Don't have any
experience with metal siding but my guess is that it is designed the
same way.

Synthetic stucco is designed now to have a drainage system (in areas
of the country that still allow its use). And I'm sure that some
other construction designed by architects for a particular project
might indeed have drainage at the bottom.

But the instances of regular siding with a big gap at the bottom I've
seen have been defects which allowed cold air and bugs to enter. In
some cases you could see with an inspection mirror the gaps between
sill plates. In my parents townhome, residents have had problems with
frozen and burst pipes. I have no doubts that backer rod and caulking
the gap would permanently fix the problem. It seems to me that in my
area at least, foundations are being made slightly small and the sill
plate and framing and sheathing overhang it slightly so the siding can
overlap the foundation wall.

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
On 6-Jan-2004, "Art Begun" wrote:

I disagree. Latex paint on the siding will let the vapor breath.

Not if the siding is aluminum, steel, vinyl etc.

The cold air leaking in could cause condensation to form.

Cold air is usually relatively dry and enters the cold side of the
insulation - not much condensation. If there is condensation,

having
open air flow on that side allows it to dry. I know of designs

where
architects have specified an air gap at the top and bottom of the
cladding to ensure the insulation can breathe on the outside. Both
openings covered with fine mesh to keep out the mousies.

Mike

George E. Cawthon

wrote:

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

My furnace had a very specific annoying sound to it (among
all the others noises). It was the flue (exhaust stack)
resonating. I put pressure on it and most of the resonance
stopped, so I wedged a 3" can between it and the wall. The
can provide just the right amount of pressure and prevents
heat transfer to the wall. Burner and fan noise is still
there but at least that part of the noise virtually
disappeared.
George E. Cawthon

Childfree Scott wrote:

No. Going from a ~80% efficient furnace to maybe a ~92% or 95%
furnace isn't going to make that much of a difference to you.

If the efficency are accurage a 95 percent would result in
about 16 percent saving, so if your normal bill is $200, you
would save $32 dollars per month for ?6 months? or about
$200 per year. Pretty slow pay back. And then you have to
figure the mainteance. Is the mainteance for 95 percent
furnaces higher than for 80 percent furnaces?

George E. Cawthon

American Mechanical wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

Maybe you are thinking of furnaces out in the garage, but
ours is in the center of the house it an enclosure, hate to
call it a closet. No way is it quiet, or would be quiet
regardless of type.
Hell, I can hear the hum of the attic fan in certain parts
of the house. Music helps but I grew learning to read and
study when it was quiet so I'm likely to start listening to
the music instead of paying attention to what I am reading.
Nothing like reading 2-3 pages then suddenly realize you
were listening to the music and have no idea what the word
in book were.
George E. Cawthon

Steve Scott wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:59:09 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Here in Alberta, if NG price goes over 5.50 per Giga Joule, government
makes up after that in the form of direct rebate. It is ~7.50 now.
I still pay only 5.50.
Isn't it nice?!

And just exactly where do the government come up with the extra $2.00
per Giga Joule?

--
Is 'tired old cliche' one?

Probably from the U.S. Canada and the U.S. have a Columbia
River treaty and several other agreements about operation of
the large reservoirs on the upper Columbia River in B.C.
These reservoirs and their operaton provide benefits to the
U.S. hydropower generation. The agreements are fairly
complex but including paying Canada for the storage benefits
to U.S. power generation at Grand Coulee, Chief Joseph, and
other dams/powerplants in the U.S. When the reservoir and
powerplants were first constructed, Canada wanted flood
control but didn't need all of the power, so excess
generation was sold to the U.S. as part of agreements.
American Mechanical

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Maybe you are thinking of furnaces out in the garage, but
ours is in the center of the house it an enclosure, hate to
call it a closet. No way is it quiet, or would be quiet
regardless of type.
Hell, I can hear the hum of the attic fan in certain parts
of the house.

I'm sorry - you are incorrect. If the ductwork is sized properly and
installed well you would be amazed. I changed out a unit today, it was in a
closet directly off the living room. When I started the unit up, the HO
argued with me that it wasn't on. He is extremely pleased with his new
variable speed. It sounds as if you need to determine why you have to wedge
cans against parts of your system to stop the noise. I'm guessing there are
install issues. Best of luck to you it's been fun but if you still insist
that higher efficiency units are likely to be louder than standard
efficiency units, we must agree to disagree.

- Robert

Music helps but I grew learning to read and
study when it was quiet so I'm likely to start listening to
the music instead of paying attention to what I am reading.
Nothing like reading 2-3 pages then suddenly realize you
were listening to the music and have no idea what the word
in book were.

Michael Daly

On 7-Jan-2004, "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Probably from the U.S. Canada and the U.S. have a Columbia
River treaty and several other agreements about operation of
the large reservoirs on the upper Columbia River in B.C.

BC gets the benefits and this subsidizes Albertans? You don't
know much about Canadian politics! :-)

More likely, the Albertan subsidies come from oil sales.

Mike
Martik

BC gets the benefits and this subsidizes Albertans? You don't
know much about Canadian politics! :-)

More likely, the Albertan subsidies come from oil sales.

In BC, electricity is now cheaper than gas for heating, especially if you
zone heat.