Kumar

Default Kenmore Elite Dryer keeps BEEPING...please help.

Beeping does not stop (the beep sounds like when you push the
buttons). There is no pattern to the beeping. When I unplug the
machine, the beeping seems to go away for a bit, but then returns
after plugging back in and choosing a cycle. Dryer heater and tumbler
are STILL ON when this is occuring. I have cleaned the sensor with
alcohol, I have also cleaned the entire lint trap system to make sure
there were no clogs. Also, it won't allow me to go out of "Cotton
High Heat" mode now. It won't let me "stop/cancel". I can only
change "modes" when i unplug the unit and plug it back in. This is
driving my wife and me nutz...anyone know if this is known issue or
any other groups I can post this issue to? I'm fairly technical, so
if it needs new parts, I can probably change.

thanks in advance!

Kumar.
Mad Mac

Kumar wrote:
Beeping does not stop (the beep sounds like when you push the
buttons). There is no pattern to the beeping. When I unplug the
machine, the beeping seems to go away for a bit, but then returns
after plugging back in and choosing a cycle. Dryer heater and tumbler
are STILL ON when this is occuring. I have cleaned the sensor with
alcohol, I have also cleaned the entire lint trap system to make sure
there were no clogs. Also, it won't allow me to go out of "Cotton
High Heat" mode now. It won't let me "stop/cancel". I can only
change "modes" when i unplug the unit and plug it back in. This is
driving my wife and me nutz...anyone know if this is known issue or
any other groups I can post this issue to? I'm fairly technical, so
if it needs new parts, I can probably change.

thanks in advance!

Kumar.

First thing we need from you is a full model and serial number - you
should find them on a little label inside the dryer door. Model number
should begin 110. and serial number should be M with another letter and
seven numbers. This information will help us to identify exactly what
model you have.

From what you describe, this sounds like an electronic touchpad model -
there should be a tech sheet inside the console which will give you some
info as to how to run a diagnostic cycle on the dryer. Check
http://ng.appliance411.com/ , http://www.applianceaid.com/ or
http://groups.msn.com/appliantology for some pictures and advice to help
you on just getting into the machine, loads of other good info on those
sites too.

There are several excellent appliance guys on here (Dan O. and Jeff
being just two), we should be able to get you sorted out.

Kumar

Mad Mac,

First, thanks for the immediate reply and willingness to help! Here is the
info you requested:

Model: 110.60092990
Serial: MK2605453

Yes, I have that darn electronic touch pad..maybe never again on future
dryers/washers

In the mean time I will go into the machine again and tear appart the
control panel to run the diagnostics. Be back.

Thanks!

Kumar

"Mad Mac" wrote in message
.. .
Kumar wrote:
[...]

From what you describe, this sounds like an electronic touchpad model -
there should be a tech sheet inside the console which will give you some
info as to how to run a diagnostic cycle on the dryer. Check
http://ng.appliance411.com/ , http://www.applianceaid.com/ or
http://groups.msn.com/appliantology for some pictures and advice to help
you on just getting into the machine, loads of other good info on those
sites too.

There are several excellent appliance guys on here (Dan O. and Jeff
being just two), we should be able to get you sorted out.

Kumar

When I plug the machine in, it will NOT go into diagnostic mode. It flashed
"PF" (power failure I suppose) then immediatly it went into "cotton
high/heat" mode. Thus I could not enter diagnostics mode. The manual I
found behind the panel indicates I must be in diagnostic mode to do any
future troubleshooting.

Is my control board bad?

Kumar

"Kumar" wrote in message
Mad Mac,

First, thanks for the immediate reply and willingness to help! Here is

the
info you requested:

Model: 110.60092990
Serial: MK2605453

Yes, I have that darn electronic touch pad..maybe never again on future
dryers/washers

In the mean time I will go into the machine again and tear appart the
control panel to run the diagnostics. Be back.

Thanks!

Kumar

"Mad Mac" wrote in message
.. .
Kumar wrote:
[...]

From what you describe, this sounds like an electronic touchpad model -
there should be a tech sheet inside the console which will give you some
info as to how to run a diagnostic cycle on the dryer. Check
http://ng.appliance411.com/ , http://www.applianceaid.com/ or
http://groups.msn.com/appliantology for some pictures and advice to help
you on just getting into the machine, loads of other good info on those
sites too.

There are several excellent appliance guys on here (Dan O. and Jeff
being just two), we should be able to get you sorted out.

Dan O.

Kumar wrote:

Model: 110.60092990 Serial: MK2605453

Beeping does not stop (the beep sounds like
when you push the buttons). There is no
pattern to the beeping. When I unplug the
machine, the beeping seems to go away
for a bit, but then returns after plugging
back in and choosing a cycle. Dryer
heater and tumbler are STILL ON when
this is occuring. I have cleaned the sensor
with alcohol, I have also cleaned the entire
lint trap system to make sure there were no
clogs. Also, it won't allow me to go out of
"Cotton High Heat" mode now. It won't let
me "stop/cancel". I can only change "modes"
when i unplug the unit and plug it back in.

This is driving my wife and me nutz...anyone
know if this is known issue or any other
groups I can post this issue to? I'm fairly
technical, so if it needs new parts, I can
probably change.

It sounds like there may be a problem in the electronic control
itself. There should be a 'tech sheet' somewhere in the dryer (maybe
inside the console panel or cabinet) which may help you to diagnose it
better. I'm afraid I can offer any other suggestions, sorry.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dryer

=Ð~~~~~~

Kumar

Yeah, Pulled the tech sheet. non of my symptoms are on it

....i'm begining to think my control board is bad. going to start checking
around on cost i suppose, unless anyone else has any more options.

thanks Dan!

Kumar

"Dan O." wrote in message
Kumar wrote:

[...]

Mad Mac

Just FYI, I did a bit of checking, control board runs $130-140, but cost
from Sears is about $180!!

Mad Mac

One other thought...check your mains voltage. I had a case where the
complaint was "Dryer won't run after dark"! Turned out the mains was
sitting at 103V and the dryer would default straight to "PF" when they
tried to start it. It was an older house with big screen TV/
microwave/oven/range hood/computer/PS2 etc. all running - couple that
with the fact that it was near Christmas and the outside was lit up like
the Griswolds, and they were running much more stuff than the electrical
system of the house was ever designed to cope with. The customer had
pretty much figured out what the problem was before I got there, and was
arranging to get a quote for upgrading the electrics.

Kumar

I have a fairly new house and have actually decreased the load on my main
panel by turning off many things. My machine won't stay on PF for long
before it blinks right back to "cotton" mode.

I guess I'll try a new board. do the folks that sell those online take
returns if the board is not at fault?

Kumar

....ps. thanks for the help!

"Mad Mac" wrote in message
.. .
One other thought...check your mains voltage. I had a case where the
complaint was "Dryer won't run after dark"! Turned out the mains was
sitting at 103V and the dryer would default straight to "PF" when they
tried to start it. It was an older house with big screen TV/
microwave/oven/range hood/computer/PS2 etc. all running - couple that
with the fact that it was near Christmas and the outside was lit up like
the Griswolds, and they were running much more stuff than the electrical
system of the house was ever designed to cope with. The customer had
pretty much figured out what the problem was before I got there, and was
arranging to get a quote for upgrading the electrics.

Mad Mac

Kumar wrote:

I have a fairly new house and have actually decreased the load on my main
panel by turning off many things. My machine won't stay on PF for long
before it blinks right back to "cotton" mode.

I guess I'll try a new board. do the folks that sell those online take
returns if the board is not at fault?

Kumar

Good question...honestly don't know the answer. Best to check the
vendor's website, they may have their policy on returns listed. I'd also
check with a local supplier (if you have one), as these boards are
generally sold on an "exchange" basis, you may be able to save some
money by "turning in" the old one.

Des Perado

Before you get all involved here, I would just pick it up at the front a few
inches off the ground and let it go. The shock when it hits the ground
might just clear up whatever is stuck or out of place and causing the
beeping.
Worth a try and probably won't do any damage.
Des

"Kumar" wrote in message
om...
Beeping does not stop (the beep sounds like when you push the
buttons). There is no pattern to the beeping. When I unplug the
machine, the beeping seems to go away for a bit, but then returns
after plugging back in and choosing a cycle. Dryer heater and tumbler
are STILL ON when this is occuring. I have cleaned the sensor with
alcohol, I have also cleaned the entire lint trap system to make sure
there were no clogs. Also, it won't allow me to go out of "Cotton
High Heat" mode now. It won't let me "stop/cancel". I can only
change "modes" when i unplug the unit and plug it back in. This is
driving my wife and me nutz...anyone know if this is known issue or
any other groups I can post this issue to? I'm fairly technical, so
if it needs new parts, I can probably change.

thanks in advance!

Kumar.

Dan O.

(Kumar) wrote

Beeping does not stop (the beep sounds like when you push the
buttons). There is no pattern to the beeping. When I unplug the
machine, the beeping seems to go away for a bit, but then returns
after plugging back in and choosing a cycle. Dryer heater and

tumbler
are STILL ON when this is occuring. I have cleaned the sensor with
alcohol, I have also cleaned the entire lint trap system to make

sure
there were no clogs. Also, it won't allow me to go out of "Cotton
High Heat" mode now. It won't let me "stop/cancel". I can only
change "modes" when i unplug the unit and plug it back in. This is
driving my wife and me nutz...anyone know if this is known issue or
any other groups I can post this issue to? I'm fairly technical,

so
if it needs new parts, I can probably change.

UPDATE:

replaced the Control Board. did NOT fix the issue

I guess I need to go for the actual control panel next?

This is getting a bit frustrating as well as expensive.

That's why I usually recommend purchasing an extended warranty when
purchasing stupid (IMO) electronically controlled appliances.

The Purchase : Which appliances need more warranty?
http://ng.appliance411.com/purchase/more.shtml

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dryer

=Ð~~~~~~

Kumar

My extended warranty ran out I have had the unit for over 3 years.
....trust me, will really be doing more homework the next go around.

I will keep you all posted on what I replace next and what works.

thanks!

Kumar

"Dan O." wrote in message

(Kumar) wrote

[...]

Matt

Hello all!

I have the same dryer, and the same problem. Does anyone know if a
solution was ever found?

Thanks
Matt

Appliance Repair Aid

Matt wrote:
Hello all!

I have the same dryer, and the same problem. Does anyone know if a
solution was ever found?

Thanks
Matt

Hi,

Model: 110.60092990

Exact same model?

Dryer keeps BEEPING

Exact same problem?

Beeps 3 times?

Should be a tech sheet inside the dryer with some tests....one should
be for the temp thermistor.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=548392
Thermistor control for dryer.

The heat thermistor can sometimes make the dryer beep and quit.
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Matt

Jeff -

Yep, same model.

Same beeping behavior as described. Not 3 times though - it's constant
with no discernable pattern. Basically, the led display shows "40"; you
can't change any cycles or choose any options (doing so results in
another beep). If you put a load of wet clothes in and press start, the
dryer will run at high heat, beeping the entire time. Sort of goes: bee
da beep bee da beep bee da beep CONSTANTLY until it eventually shuts
off. The clothes are slightly damp at the end of the cycle; re-starting
the same load will result in the dryer running for a minute or 2 and
then shutting off; adding a new wet load will cause it to run until
they are also just slightly damp.

Also, it will sometimes start beeping randomly in the middle of the
night (no clothes in it, not used for a few days) for no apparent
reason.

I'll check tonight on the heat thermistor test - thanks for the tip!

One other thing -

Plugging/unplugging the beast from the outlet some random number of
times (usually, less than 10) will usually make it act normal for a
week or so. If I run the diagnostics listed in the spec sheet during
this time, they all check out.
Thanks much for the tip, will let ya know what I find.

Matt

Tom

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Is it the beep you hear at the end of a cycle or the beep made by the "lint
filter plugged" indicator. I think these machines still had this installed
when this machine was made. Has since been eliminated because it would be
triggered by just a item of light weight fabric or dryer sheet momentarily
stopping in front of the outlet grill.

Matt

Tom -

Good question. The machine does have a "check lint screen" LED; however
I see no reference to any kind of sensor in the schematic on the tech
sheet. Given that this tech sheet also directs you to diagnostic test
#'s that don't exist anywhere else in the tech sheet, and the fact that
_something_ must trigger the LED, I'm assuming there must be a sensor
somewhere. I'm guessing it's somewhere near the lint screen? (Stupid
question perhaps.... but this model has to win some sort of prize for
most expensive/most badly designed appliance in the universe. Oh wait a
minute - my lennox furnace already got that prize (but that's another
story).

Any guidance as to where to look for the lint sensor would be
appreciated.

P.S. for Jeff -

Heat thermistor checked OK.

Also, I'm in side talks with Kumar via email - his dryer is still
malfunctioning. I'm thinking of starting a support group for people who
bought this model.

Lance

I had a problem with my dryer - can't tell if it's exactly what is
described here, but the symptom was continual beeping and it *really*
wanted to run in the cotton/high heat mode.

I found through experimenting that I could push (and hold) one of the
other mode buttons below Cotton and press the start button while
holding the mode button and it would successfully complete a cycle in
that mode (while beeping). I used the dryer this way a few times, but
I unplugged the front panel wires so that I wouldn't go crazy with the
beeping.

The solution was to have the front (button) panel replaced. My guess
is that the design is flawed and one of the buttons gets "stuck" after
a while. Odd thing is the diagnostics don't show a button stuck, so
it's probably just a partial contact - but enough to be detected as a
stuck button by the control board. Notice that with a working dryer,
you can push and hold the Cotton button and get exactly the same
symptoms.

Good luck,
Lance

Matt

Thanks Lance!

Yep... have found out that Sears has issued a service bulletin on this,
which requires replacement of the touchpad and control board. Full cost
to be paid by the customer, of course. ($450+). I called them this
morning in the hopes maybe they would fix it at no or reduced cost. No
dice.

It's just.... sad.

Thanks for the tip on pressing the cotton button - I didn't know that.
I'm thinking of seeing if the touchpad can be taken apart and
cleaned......

For anyone else struggling with this issue, here is a link to a thread
which provides some more info:
http://applianceblog.com/forums/forum3/56.html

Simon Fraser

In article .com,
"Matt" wrote:

Thanks Lance!

Yep... have found out that Sears has issued a service bulletin on this,
which requires replacement of the touchpad and control board. Full cost
to be paid by the customer, of course. ($450+). I called them this
morning in the hopes maybe they would fix it at no or reduced cost. No
dice.

It's just.... sad.

Very, Our 2000-model 110.70052990 (serial# MK 2604280) has just
come down with the beeping stuck-in-cotton mode disease.

Thanks for the tip on pressing the cotton button - I didn't know that.
I'm thinking of seeing if the touchpad can be taken apart and
cleaned......

I tried this. You can peal off of the layer in front of the buttons,
but everything is sealed under layers of sticky plastic. The buttons
etc are stuck right onto the steel frame of the front panel. It's
possible to re-stick the front panel without it getting too bent.

I had a hunch that the Cotton button was stuck down, and sliced
around it with a knife. I was able to lift it up and ensure
that the contact was actually broken, but that didn't fix anything.

One thing that seems odd is that I wasn't able to detect a voltage
across these buttons when the unit is on. The service manual says
that there should be 3V, but I couldn't find an voltage either
at the buttons, or between pins 3-1 and 4-1. I wonder if something
is burnt out on the control board that cuts the power supply to
the front panel? The seal around one of the small ICs (a 6-leg one)
seems a bit bubbled up; perhaps this overheated?

So I'm looking to order both the control board and the front panel
from a place that takes returns, and I'll see which is needed
(or both). Sigh.

Simon

--
Simon Fraser http://www.smfr.org/
(Professional driver on closed road)

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fraser
In article ,
"Matt"
wrote:

[...]

I have just starting to experiance the same prolbems as above. Is replacing pad and control panel the final fix for this?

Trey
Junior Member

I know this is an older post but I found it so I think I will post the 'answer' I was given by the tech who came to check my dryer. (Kenmore Elite also) I don't know if the 'answer' works yet because my Husband has to do some cleaning / altering of the vent/hose.

The technician said, 'There is lint that collects around the two metal bars under the lint trap tray. The lint there indicates that your vent/hose is either clogged, is too long or has too many turns. There should be no lint in the space where the dryer screen tray belongs.'

[FYI regarding vents/hoses: He said a dryer is made to push the hot air 16 feet straight and each curve adds 3-6 ft onto the 16 ft. For example; if your 16 foot dryer vent hose has two curves then your dryer hose would be equivalent to 22 feet at best and 28 feet at worst. Neither of those is good because it is more than the 16 ft a dryer is designed to push the hot air.]

So here is how that all has to do with the dyer beeping.

'The metal bars are the dampness indicators for the dryer cycle. The lint collected there absorbs moisture which tells the metal bars that the clothes are still damp. So, the dryer will ADD time to the cycle because it 'thinks' the clothes are not dry.' (It will beep continuously at random numbers - no explanation on that one - just that the dryer will always think the clothes are dry and the dryer knows that something is wrong.)

I personally have started using the timed cycle only.

My Hubby is to clean out the vent/hose and see if he can make it shorter and/or have less turns. Our washing area is in a very poor spot to get it vented without lots of curves. It also doesn't really fit in the space because the space was made for the older / smaller machines. I hope he can Mc Gyver something!

Don't know if it will stop the craziness but I hope it will. I hope this helps you with your crazy beeping Kenmore Elite Dryer.