Dishwasher stopped working mid-cycle

Old December 22nd 03, 03:31 PM
Kamal

Default Dishwasher stopped working mid-cycle

We have a GE dishwasher (GSD2200) with potscrubber function. It was
installed by the builder 4-5 years ago.

We use it at least once daily if not more. Yesterday, it just stopped
working mid-cycle. There are 2 "containers" for dishwashing liquid.
One has dishwashing liquid for pre-wash while the other container has
a lid that opens mid-cycle for a more complete wash. When the
dishwasher stopped, the second container (with the lid) had just
opened and I could even see the dishwashing liquid still in the
dishwasher. The water was standing in the bottom of the appliance.

There was also a slight burning smell when the dishwasher stopped or
maybe it was the smell of very hot water hitting some plastic
containers we had. The dishwasher was filled to capacity. Though we
make sure that crockery is arranged around the opening for the tower
but maybe, just maybe that opening may have been blocked by our
placement of crockery. Could blocking of the tower opening have caused
that problem ?

I called GE and they asked me to trip the circuit breaker for 10 mins,
re-set and then re-try. It didn't work. I called GE again and they
asked me trip circuit breaker, turn the dishwasher knob twice and then
put the circuit breaker "on" again and then try to run the appliance.
That didn't work either.

Now the GE service center tells me that I can have one of their techs
come in for $70. Then they will charge me another $70 to $150 for
labor + $90 to $150 for the parts to fix the problem. So their service
will cost me at least $230 and maybe even upto $370... and I would
still be stuck with an old appliance.

Can anyone give me suggestions to see if the dishwasher is fixable or
I just need to throw it away and buy a new one ?

Thanks,

Old December 22nd 03, 07:20 PM
Childfree Scott

Take off the access panel to the bottom of the unit and other front
panels and look for a burnt wire. I had one on mine that burnt up (it
was a ground wire). I soldered it back togather and my dishwasher is
working just fine now.

Even if you end up replacing your dishwasher now, using it once/day
for 4-5 years is a lot of usage and might be more equivalent to one
that's much older...
Old December 22nd 03, 11:20 PM
jeff

(Kamal) wrote in message . com...

Hi,

Yesterday, it just stopped
working mid-cycle.

Burnt main power wire ( where the main power wire enters the d/w ),
door switch(s), broken wire in the door ( esp where the door bends to
open and close ), bad selector switch, timer.....these are some common
trouble makers for going dead mid-cycle.

Could blocking of the tower opening have caused
that problem ?

Probably not.

I called GE and they asked me to trip the circuit breaker for 10 mins,
re-set and then re-try. It didn't work. I called GE again and they
asked me trip circuit breaker, turn the dishwasher knob twice and then
put the circuit breaker "on" again and then try to run the appliance.
That didn't work either.

Good try!

Now the GE service center tells me that I can have one of their techs
come in for $70. Then they will charge me another $70 to $150 for
labor + $90 to $150 for the parts to fix the problem. So their service
will cost me at least $230 and maybe even upto $370... and I would
still be stuck with an old appliance.

A lot of guessing on prices and what parts -may- be needed!!

Can anyone give me suggestions to see if the dishwasher is fixable or
I just need to throw it away and buy a new one ?

Most d/w's will last 10+ years....I'd check into seeing what is wrong
with yours and what is required to repair it before replacing
it....then you can make an educated decision.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Old January 10th 04, 05:08 AM
Martik

http://www.american-appliance.com/se...stic_Chart.htm
Old January 10th 04, 05:08 AM
Martik

http://www.american-appliance.com/se...stic_Chart.htm

Indesit dg6145 dishwasher leaking - fixed but I wish I hadn't! donny UK diy 0 April 24th 04 10:04 PM
B0rked dishwasher Wooding UK diy 0 September 1st 03 08:14 AM
Kenmore Dishwasher - Troubleshoot? Travis Jordan Home Repair 14 July 26th 03 09:18 PM