barry martin

Default Dimmer switch on ceiling

C I have a ceiling fan with lights built into as one unit in the home dining
C room, the fan/lights, each have there own pull string controls, for the
C light on/off. the fan has a forward/reverse pull string control and
C variable speed pull string 3 speeds I think on a pull string. There is also
C one wall mounted switch controlled by a dimmer.
C My question is it safe to use a dimmer switch or is it better to use a
C typical on /off switch? Something tells me that I should be using a on/off

As the others have said, use a regular on-off switch. Incandescent
dimmers are not made for running motors. If there are not two 'hots'
in the switch box (someone suggested the previous owner may have wired
them together) you might want to add a remote control to the fan.
It's a small device which fits inside the fan mounting and uses its
own remote control. Some new fans come with the remote control
option.

...What we're thinking you will find in the switch box. If it's an
older home you will probably see a black wire going to the top and
bottom of the switch with the white wires connected together. You
could also see a single wire pair, with black to one side of the
switch and white (hopefully with a black indicator) on the other. If
there are more that that you _might_ be able to independently control
the lights and fan from the wall switch location -- write back!

BTW - and I think you know this caution: shut the power off at the
circuit breaker/fuse when checking out/replacing the dimmer. Just
because you shut off the switch only means there's no power going
*out* of the switch; it's still coming *in*! (Told you you knew
that!!)

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Some restrictions may apply.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *