How do you sharpen masonary drill bits?

Old December 12th 03, 01:50 AM
Michael

Default How do you sharpen masonary drill bits?

Hello,

How do you sharpen carbide masonry drill bits? I have a bench grinder.

Thanks,
Mike

Old December 12th 03, 02:05 AM
Roger

Michael" wrote in message
Hello,

How do you sharpen carbide masonry drill bits? I have a bench grinder.

I'd just buy a new one, unless you have a diamond wheel..
The bit insert is silicon carbide, the same as your grinder wheel, so it
would likely tear up your wheel.

Old December 12th 03, 02:15 AM
F.H.

Michael wrote:

Hello,

How do you sharpen carbide masonry drill bits? I have a bench grinder.

Thanks,
Mike

If you know how to hand sharpen a drill you can do it if you buy the
right wheel. Carborundum (fine grit green in color). Any local tool
supply company would have them. The tips are low grade carbide. I am
retired machine shop owner. Used to grind them by the dozens for my
electrician friends. As Roger suggested it may be less trouble and
cheaper to just buy a new one.

http://www.production-tool.com/html/...s/carborundum/

Old December 12th 03, 05:39 AM
Joe Bobst

The bit I am trying to sharpen is 1 inch. Not a throw away bit. Any
suggestions?

Like a previous post said, a green wheel on your grinder. Easy done. The
grinding wheels cost just slighlty more than conventional but tend to wear down
rather faster, so don't use it as a general purpose sharpening tool. HTH

Joe

Old December 12th 03, 06:11 AM
F.H.

Joe Bobst wrote:

The bit I am trying to sharpen is 1 inch. Not a throw away bit. Any
suggestions?

Like a previous post said, a green wheel on your grinder. Easy done. The
grinding wheels cost just slighlty more than conventional but tend to wear down
rather faster, so don't use it as a general purpose sharpening tool. HTH

Joe

Correct. Let the wheel cut. With these drills if you get close it will
work.

Frank
Old December 12th 03, 03:28 PM
Stormin Mormonn

I sharpen carbide bits now and again with a bench grinder. Light pressure
into the wheel, and try to duplicate the factory slopes and angles.

Carbide bits don't have a curved trailing edge, so you don't use the same
wrist twist when making the cutting edge.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

Old December 15th 03, 07:51 AM
TURTLE

"Stormin Mormonn" wrote in message
I sharpen carbide bits now and again with a bench grinder. Light pressure
into the wheel, and try to duplicate the factory slopes and angles.

Carbide bits don't have a curved trailing edge, so you don't use the same
wrist twist when making the cutting edge.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

This is Turtle.

Stormy the fellow is sharpening a Masonry drill bit and not just a carbit
bit. Regular Grinder wheel don't cut it. You have to have a special type
wheel to cut the mansonry bit edges. The grinding wheel material has to be
harder than the bit your sharpening.

TURTLE

Old December 15th 03, 12:21 PM
alt-hvac Moderated

I've sharpened masonary bits with a regular grinding wheel.....

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

Old December 15th 03, 05:47 PM
TURTLE

"alt-hvac Moderated" wrote in message
I've sharpened masonary bits with a regular grinding wheel.....

--

Christopher A. Young

This is Turtle.

Yes , but you never get the fine cutting edge for the bit to stay sharp for
anytime at all after being used. The cutting edge will be jagged and not a
feather cutting edge.

TURTLE