New & Improved - N/F John

Default Enclosed Unheated Porch - Crawl Space Question - Vapor Barrier - Rotting Wood

This old house had a porch with storm windows that for years caused much
agony. It leaked everytime it rained hard and required replacing wood and
painting every few years.

A contractor was hired last year and replaced a lot of wood and installed
replacement windows. The windows didn't have the extra piece like a new
window, he did it like a replacement window. He felt the rotting wood was
caused by a bad roof. The roofing, gutters and siding were replaced and the
grading around the porch was changed. Today, the porch is air tight and
covered with aluminum trim and there have been no leaks that I can see. But
I noticed the caulking splitting here and there and the aluminum trim
changed shape a bit. I've had to caulk after one year. I think there is a
moisture problem.

I looked under the porch and found there was no insulation or vapor barrier.
How much do you think the lack of a vapor barrier adds to this problem? If
I were to add a barrier only, could I just attach it to bottom of the
joists? Your prayers are always welcome.

3GCPO

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
This old house had a porch with storm windows that for years caused much
agony. It leaked everytime it rained hard and required replacing wood and
painting every few years.

A contractor was hired last year and replaced a lot of wood and installed
replacement windows.

The windows didn't have the extra piece like a new
window, he did it like a replacement window.

extra piece ?
do you mean exterior casing?
a 'new construction' window is not designed to be installed like a
replacement window.

He felt the rotting wood was
caused by a bad roof. The roofing, gutters and siding were replaced and

the
grading around the porch was changed. Today, the porch is air tight and
covered with aluminum trim and there have been no leaks that I can see.

But

I noticed the caulking splitting here and there

probably used "phenoseal" caulk (soon it will turn yellow) instead of
exterior silicone.
aluminum trim installed correctly requires NO caulking.

and the aluminum trim changed shape a bit.

the aluminum trim has expanded and is starting to buckle
(probably from NOT pre-drilling with an 1/8" bit before nailing the trim
on).

I've had to caulk after one year. I think there is a
moisture problem.

I looked under the porch and found there was no insulation or vapor

barrier.
How much do you think the lack of a vapor barrier adds to this problem?

If
I were to add a barrier only, could I just attach it to bottom of the
joists? Your prayers are always welcome.

New & Improved - N/F John

"3GCPO" wrote in message

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
This old house had a porch with storm windows that for years caused much
agony. It leaked everytime it rained hard and required replacing wood

and
painting every few years.

A contractor was hired last year and replaced a lot of wood and

installed
replacement windows.

The windows didn't have the extra piece like a new
window, he did it like a replacement window.

extra piece ?
do you mean exterior casing?
a 'new construction' window is not designed to be installed like a
replacement window.

Yes, that's what I meant. I wonder about the installation. If it's faulty.

He felt the rotting wood was
caused by a bad roof. The roofing, gutters and siding were replaced and

the
grading around the porch was changed. Today, the porch is air tight and
covered with aluminum trim and there have been no leaks that I can see.

But

I noticed the caulking splitting here and there

probably used "phenoseal" caulk (soon it will turn yellow) instead of
exterior silicone.
aluminum trim installed correctly requires NO caulking.

In fact, that's exactly the stuff he said he used!

and the aluminum trim changed shape a bit.

the aluminum trim has expanded and is starting to buckle
(probably from NOT pre-drilling with an 1/8" bit before nailing the trim
on).

That's interesting. On the vertical pieces there was expansion at the
bottom or something so that the instead of being flat the piece is now
concave when viewed from the side.

I've had to caulk after one year. I think there is a
moisture problem.

I looked under the porch and found there was no insulation or vapor

barrier.
How much do you think the lack of a vapor barrier adds to this problem?

If
I were to add a barrier only, could I just attach it to bottom of the
joists? Your prayers are always welcome.

No comment here?

AJScott

I looked under the porch and found there was no insulation or vapor
barrier.
How much do you think the lack of a vapor barrier adds to this problem?

If
I were to add a barrier only, could I just attach it to bottom of the
joists? Your prayers are always welcome.

No comment here?

Sorry if I'm being a pisher here, but it seems to me that you are
suffering the consequences of cheap home repair work, not lack of a
simple vapor barrier beneath the porch.

I think stuff like this is covered by the old adage: Pay me now or pay
me later.

AJS
New & Improved - N/F John

"AJScott" wrote in message
I looked under the porch and found there was no insulation or vapor
barrier.
How much do you think the lack of a vapor barrier adds to this

problem?
If
I were to add a barrier only, could I just attach it to bottom of

the
joists? Your prayers are always welcome.

No comment here?

Sorry if I'm being a pisher here, but it seems to me that you are
suffering the consequences of cheap home repair work, not lack of a
simple vapor barrier beneath the porch.

I think stuff like this is covered by the old adage: Pay me now or pay
me later.

AJS

With life comes experience. I wish I knew more about construction.