Christopher R. Palmer

Default Problem with Kenmore gas oven

I have a relatively new Kenmore gas range which is having some intermittent
problems with the oven. Periodically, the oven will not ignite. When it
is having problems neither the broiler nor the bottom burner will ignite.
The display thinks that it is preheating the oven, but nothing happens...

This problem can develop suddenly (last night I used the oven for dinner
and then 30 minutes later it no longer worked).

When the problem occurs, it always lasts a long time. The oven won't
suddenly start working, but seems to work the next day. It did not work
an hour later last night but it's working fine this morning.

This is happening about once a week for the past couple of weeks.

Sounds like it should be something pretty simple to diagnose. Any
suggestions on how to do so?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

--
Pittsburgh, PA - [240.8, 120.9] Apparent Rennerian
jim

Christopher R. Palmer wrote:

[...]

i just hate the electronics on our new kenmore gas oven... all of the
brands for that matter.. i guess they have a tester especially made to
test it??? real simple for the sears guy, you just plug it into the
board and then run the routine and you know if its the problem......
unlike the old gas ovens where you dont have the electronics and just
have to worry about the gas and ignition, i looked all over for a built
in oven with no electronics and could not find any..... if my
electronics give me problems i guess i would just have to call the
repair guy from sears.. it would be the first time i called anyone to
service anything in this house since it was built about 30 yrs. ago...
i can do it all but the new stuff(electronics)...
Dan O.

Christopher R. Palmer wrote

I have a relatively new Kenmore gas range
which is having some intermittent problems
with the oven. Periodically, the oven will not
ignite. When it is having problems neither
the broiler nor the bottom burner will ignite.
The display thinks that it is preheating the
oven, but nothing happens...

Sounds like it should be something pretty
simple to diagnose.

Intermittent problems are usually the hardest to diagnose. Sometimes
the appliance has to be used until the condition is constant in order
to isolate the cause.

Any suggestions on how to do so?

A start would be posting the complete model number off the range so we
can see how it was designed (they're not all the same) and which
components it uses might be suspect. You can find tips for locating
the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair
Parts' section of my site linked below.

If your oven uses a hot surface (glow coil) ignition system, is the
ignitor glowing when the oven should be on?

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+range

=Ð~~~~~~

Christopher R. Palmer

Christopher R. Palmer wrote
I have a relatively new Kenmore gas range
which is having some intermittent problems
with the oven. Periodically, the oven will not
ignite. When it is having problems neither
the broiler nor the bottom burner will ignite.
The display thinks that it is preheating the
oven, but nothing happens...

Sounds like it should be something pretty
simple to diagnose.

Dan O. replied:

Intermittent problems are usually the hardest to diagnose. Sometimes
the appliance has to be used until the condition is constant in order
to isolate the cause.

Yes, they are usually fun to diagnose.....

A start would be posting the complete model number off the range so we
can see how it was designed (they're not all the same) and which
components it uses might be suspect. You can find tips for locating
the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair
Parts' section of my site linked below.

The model number is

665,75842001

If your oven uses a hot surface (glow coil) ignition system, is the
ignitor glowing when the oven should be on?

The ignitors seems to be a spark ignitors.

Any suggestions for tracking this down would be greatly appreciated.
Including things that I can do to confirm/rule-out possible causes.

Thanks!
Chris.
--
Pittsburgh, PA - [240.8, 120.9] Apparent Rennerian
jim

Christopher R. Palmer wrote:

Christopher R. Palmer wrote
[...]

take the ignitor off the oven and it should have two wires on it.. i
pluged the wires into an outlet in the wall and it did not light up.. i
held it with a pair of vicegrip pliers as if it did work it was gonna
get hot real fast.... i then went to appliance parts place and got
another one.. i had a kenmore gas wall oven... the shop told me its a
GE... they sold me the part.. i went home and put it back in an there
was no more prolbem with mine.. be careful the ignitor is pretty
fragil.. if you drop it the ceramic stuff in there might crack and they
it is junk.....
hope this helps....
i also noticed that when the oven was working(when it was fixed) that
the ignitor was on-light, all the time...... the gas will go on an off
depending if its needs more or less gas to keep the oven at a certain
temperature, but the ignitor has to be light to let the gas burn......

Dan O.

Christopher R. Palmer wrote

I have a relatively new Kenmore gas range
which is having some intermittent problems
with the oven. Periodically, the oven will not
ignite. When it is having problems neither
the broiler nor the bottom burner will ignite.
The display thinks that it is preheating the
oven, but nothing happens...

The model number is

665,75842001

If your oven uses a hot surface (glow coil) ignition
system, is the ignitor glowing when the oven
should be on?

The ignitors seems to be a spark ignitors.

Any suggestions for tracking this down would be
greatly appreciated. Including things that I can do
to confirm/rule-out possible causes.

Your model was built by Whirlpool and looks to be one of their new
fangled "Direct Spark Ignition" systems which I have't had any
experience with. There may be a 'tech sheet' located in the console
panel which may help with diagnosis. I will warn you that there are
lots of electronics in that range, even in the gas control circuit.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whirlpool+gas+range

=Ð~~~~~~

Christopher R. Palmer

In article ,
Dan O. wrote:
Your model was built by Whirlpool and looks to be one of their new
fangled "Direct Spark Ignition" systems which I have't had any
experience with. There may be a 'tech sheet' located in the console
panel which may help with diagnosis. I will warn you that there are
lots of electronics in that range, even in the gas control circuit.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Yes, it does seem to be a tad more new fangled than I would like...
Thanks for looking at it and thanks also to Jim for trying to help.

Cheers,
Chris.
--
Pittsburgh, PA - [240.8, 120.9] Apparent Rennerian