DH in Denver

Default Gouged on repair part by appliance repair company?

My Kenmore refrigerator quit cooling. I called an appliance repair
company. The tech said I needed a new "pc board." I don't know why he
called it that, except it sounds more ominous than "defroster timer,"
which it really was, and was even so identified on the box that he
brought the next day.

Anyway, he didn't have that part with him; said he'd return the next day
with it. Before he left, I had to pay him $159.19 in advance for the
part. When I asked him how he came up with $159.19 (he hadn't looked a
any lists or made any phone inquiries), he said he remembered the price
from the last time he had needed the same part.

Before he returned the next day, I checked with Sears and two other
parts store in town and found that I could have bought the
part--retail--for between $55 and $62. (I knew the part number, because
Sears provides parts lists for almost everything mechanical it sells.)

So, he was charging me almost 3 times the retail cost for the part. I
assume he could have bought it even for less than my retail cost.

QUESTION: is this typical of repair companies to charge exorbitant
prices for parts?

This guy was not an independent guy; he worked for a large appliance
repair company in town.

DH in Denver

vairxpert

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:18:33 -0700, DH in Denver
wrote:

My Kenmore refrigerator quit cooling. I called an appliance repair
company. The tech said I needed a new "pc board." I don't know why he
called it that, except it sounds more ominous than "defroster timer,"
which it really was, and was even so identified on the box that he
brought the next day.

Some of the new timers are all electronic. The older ones are usually
black or white plastic and just a mechanical timer.

Anyway, he didn't have that part with him; said he'd return the next day
with it. Before he left, I had to pay him $159.19 in advance for the
part. When I asked him how he came up with $159.19 (he hadn't looked a
any lists or made any phone inquiries), he said he remembered the price
from the last time he had needed the same part.

Before he returned the next day, I checked with Sears and two other
parts store in town and found that I could have bought the
part--retail--for between $55 and $62. (I knew the part number, because
Sears provides parts lists for almost everything mechanical it sells.)

So, he was charging me almost 3 times the retail cost for the part. I
assume he could have bought it even for less than my retail cost.

If they have a house account he probably paid around $40.00 for it.

QUESTION: is this typical of repair companies to charge exorbitant
prices for parts?

If that $159 was including labor you did ok. If not (and the part you
inquired about was the correct one at $55 your cost) you got hosed.

In most pricing books the "list price" is the manufacturers suggested
price on what the customer should be charged. With an account in good
standing the company will usually pay half that list price. If he
paid $40, a reasonable price to charge would have been $80.00.

In my line of work (commercial HVAC) I change the markup depending on
the price of the part. If it's a low priced part it will be doubled.
More expensive parts get a reasonable 30% markup.
Even if I truly despised a customer I would never jack the price up
4X.

Tekkie

DH in Denver posted for all of us....

[...]

Well... He's gonna charge you retail for the part. He's gotta run his truck
and get paid and pay his bills and insurance & so on & on & on. He's really
making 2 trip to your abode so look at it's $50 a trip + part & you got a
diagnosis and repair in there. So unless you haven't told us something
seems like pretty good deal. Do you work for free? Iknow it only seems
like it. What would Sears charge to repair it?
--
Tekkie

Politicians & diapers are filled with it & both should be changed regularly.
HA HA Budys Here

From: Tekkie
Date: 12/9/2003 10:59 PM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

Unfortunately,many people still think 25.00 is reasonable for a service call.

CBhvac

"DH in Denver" wrote in message
My Kenmore refrigerator quit cooling. I called an appliance repair
company. The tech said I needed a new "pc board." I don't know why he
called it that, except it sounds more ominous than "defroster timer,"
which it really was, and was even so identified on the box that he
brought the next day.

They are also called ICBs..so?

Anyway, he didn't have that part with him; said he'd return the next day
with it. Before he left, I had to pay him $159.19 in advance for the
part. When I asked him how he came up with $159.19 (he hadn't looked a
any lists or made any phone inquiries), he said he remembered the price
from the last time he had needed the same part.

Oh god...you know...I know the prices off my head of about 100 parts that we
use on a regular basis...I just priced out a YorkGuard IV module that I have
not seen in over a year in use on an older unit, and I knew before I called
to verify the price it was going to be over $400.
Be glad the guy didnt pull out his flat rate book and give you a price...it
might have been closer to $250.

Before he returned the next day, I checked with Sears and two other
parts store in town and found that I could have bought the
part--retail--for between $55 and $62. (I knew the part number, because
Sears provides parts lists for almost everything mechanical it sells.)

If that price included labor..you did good.

So, he was charging me almost 3 times the retail cost for the part. I
assume he could have bought it even for less than my retail cost.

Maybe..maybe not. Sears tends not to wholesale anything unless you are a
Sears bot.

QUESTION: is this typical of repair companies to charge exorbitant
prices for parts?

Answer: Did you pay it? Did he install it? Does your unit work now? If you
did, too late. The time to bitch was before.

This guy was not an independent guy; he worked for a large appliance
repair company in town.

Ahh..there you go..
I believe that you got a fair price. Did you pay for the FIRST service call
out?
Lets break it down..using outdated labor pricing.

First service call: $50
Part: $60
Labor to install part $50

Total, $160

Problem?

DH in Denver

Joe

wrote:

QUESTION: is this typical of repair companies to charge exorbitant
prices for parts?

What was the total bill?

Steve B.
Zemedelec

You have the option to complain to the BBB, but that is not going to
changed anything.
BRBR

Other than the repair company's reputation.
zemedelec
CBhvac

"Zemedelec" wrote in message

You have the option to complain to the BBB, but that is not going to
changed anything.
BRBR

Other than the repair company's reputation.
zemedelec

Actually...the BBB has no authority to do anything.

Make a complaint, and the company can send back a reply of: We are not going
to do anything at this time....and guess what? Complaints gone.

I still cant figure out why anyone would pay over $1000 a year to belong to
an organization that does nothing for you....go figure...
I guess thats another reason why all those other guys labor rates are
high..have to pay those dues...

Toller

Did he charge any labor? If not, you got a real bargain.

Zemedelec

"Zemedelec" wrote in message

You have the option to complain to the BBB, but that is not going to
changed anything.

Other than the repair company's reputation.
zemedelec

Actually...the BBB has no authority to do anything.

Make a complaint, and the company can send back a reply of: We are not going
to do anything at this time....and guess what? Complaints gone.

Your local BBB must operate differenty from the one here in New Orleans.
Granted, they have no authority to drag someone with a complaint against them
into court--you have to do that yourself. But they do register complaints, and
the complaints stay around a long, long time.
zemedelec
m Ransley

They only take complaints if they arbitrate it, and have no authority to
garnish or inforce it.
In 92 or 93 they tried to print THEIR phone book. they solicited funds
300 from me, Never printed, never refunded a dime. to anyone. BBB The
BAD Butthead Bureau.

Zemedelec

It sounds like you have a beef with the BBB, so I'll take anything you say
about it with a grain of salt.
zemedelec
m Ransley

Zemeldic, No beef , just the facts, I dont care about the BBB, As
CBvac said the bbb wont do anything. I take my problems to small
claim. There is inforcement in court rulings.

Terry

vairxpert wrote?

My Kenmore refrigerator quit cooling. I called an appliance repair
company. The tech said I needed a new "pc board." I don't know why he
called it that, except it sounds more ominous than "defroster timer,"
which it really was, and was even so identified on the box that he
brought the next day.

How do you know you were gouged? Just because something was named
differently doesn't prove that IMHO.
For example; hot water tap versus hot water valve!
How much did you pay for a) the part b) The visit or visits (it
sounds as though two were involved?) including use of a vehicle,
the amount of time, expertise of the technician and the tools
available and used.
If you were concerned about cost why didn't you diagnose and fix
it yourself.
That's what we did 25+ years ago with a non electronic defrost
timer costing, then, IIRC about $40. Today an electronic one
probably around $100-$150, say, plus labour and all the above
time/work for an electronic timer? I'm guessing maybe around
$250?
Terry.