What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway?

Old December 8th 03, 08:45 PM
sams

Default What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway?

Hello,

Iam looking for a driveway deicer which will not ruine the asphalt
blacktop, concrete sidewalk and safe to environment.

I did tried using NaCl salt (Sodium Chloride salf for the
watersoftener), but the concrete sidewalk shows signs to wither, so I
stoped immediately. I also tried using Calcium Chloride which didnt do
any harm to blacktop or concrete, but the following spring the flower
inflower bed didnt bloom well.

think it sould be of Calcium chloride (CaCl) type instead of Sodium
Chloride (NaCl Common Salt etc). I dont want to melt it rightaway but
to give tracking when children walk on black ice.

Actually thinking of using sand, but do they come in bags or messy to
use? Where to get cheaper? Would be better to buy in bags and stock up
in garage.

Appreciate anyone can share their experience.

Sam
Old December 8th 03, 10:29 PM
EL

Depending on the lowest temperature you have to deal with urea may be
your best bet. This is also sold as carbamide resin, isourea, carbonyl
diamide, or carbonyldiamine.

It's also a good nitrogen rich fertilizer.

There are a number of reasons for not using salt (NaCl) particularly if
you have a septic system and clay soil. Flowers don't like a high
chloride ion concentration. That's why watering your garden with sea
water is not a good idea.

Boden

Old December 9th 03, 12:38 AM
HeatMan