Dare

Default Need Large Lighted Thermostat Dial

I'm not sure if this is the right ng to ask this question..
I apologize in advance if it's not.
My mother is visually impaired and has trouble seeing
her thermostat dial to set the temperature for heat.
I have been trying to find a lighted thermostat dial with
large easy-to-read numbers so she can see where the
temperature is set when she needs to adjust it.
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I might
buy one....or an idea on how to make one?

Thanks for any advice,
Dare Gaither

Stormin Mormonn

Honeywell makes something like this. Heating guys can get one for you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

"Dare" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this is the right ng to ask this question..
I apologize in advance if it's not.
My mother is visually impaired and has trouble seeing
her thermostat dial to set the temperature for heat.
I have been trying to find a lighted thermostat dial with
large easy-to-read numbers so she can see where the
temperature is set when she needs to adjust it.
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I might
buy one....or an idea on how to make one?

Thanks for any advice,
Dare Gaither

C G

Dare wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the right ng to ask this question..
I apologize in advance if it's not.
My mother is visually impaired and has trouble seeing
her thermostat dial to set the temperature for heat.
I have been trying to find a lighted thermostat dial with
large easy-to-read numbers so she can see where the
temperature is set when she needs to adjust it.
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I might
buy one....or an idea on how to make one?

What about a digital display? The display is much larger than the
mechanical dials. Many choices at your local home improvement store.
Dare

"Stormin Mormonn" wrote

Honeywell makes something like this. Heating guys can get one for you.

Thanks...I'll give 'em a call.
Dare

Dare

"C G" wrote:
What about a digital display? The display is much larger than the
mechanical dials. Many choices at your local home improvement store.

That's a great idea...probably a more accurate reading, too.
Thanks,
Dare

mark Ransley

HD has a digital lighted with numbers about 1 inch tall. You can read
it across the room

Dare

"mark Ransley" wrote:

HD has a digital lighted with numbers about 1 inch tall. You can read
it across the room

Thanks..that sounds just about perfect.
I very much appreciate all the responses!
Dare

CBHvac

"Dare" wrote in message
"mark Ransley" wrote:

HD has a digital lighted with numbers about 1 inch tall. You can read
it across the room

Thanks..that sounds just about perfect.
I very much appreciate all the responses!
Dare

Keep in mind that the one that HD sells, is what we in the trade call a sure
fire money maker.
If you want a lighted digital display, Robershaw makes several, that are not
sold in retail stores, that have a backlight and digital display.
So does Totalline.
So does Honeywell.
That large display stat that HD has is like a hunter or Lux..made in China
and a sure fire way to wonder why after a couple of months things are acting
screwy.

The main thing is, you have to have the right sub-base, or stat for the
application, and, the large display stat that is being talked about, is not
available for a heat pump, so if thats what she has, HD isnt the place to
look.

TURTLE

"Dare" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormonn" wrote

Honeywell makes something like this. Heating guys can get one for you.

Thanks...I'll give 'em a call.
Dare

This is Turtle.

Awwwww , Your talking about the large faced Honeywell [ T-87F easy to See ]
accessory Kit standard round thermostat. the numbers are about 1" high and
on the outside of thermostat and has a 1/4" red arrow pointer to see where
to put it. They also have brail stuff on them if you want it put on it.
there is the thermostat at Honeywell website or
http://content.honeywell.com/yourhom...s/T87.htm#Easy to see
it and the kit that goes with it. They also have on that page a square type
if you like to see the large number too. I think now days the thermostat and
kit is sold together now but 5 + years ago you had to buythe kit seperate
from the thermostat. there is a toll free number to call to get a free
instruction guide on these thermostats at 1-800-468-1502. You know the info
paper work.

If you need to know about these more just e-mail me here and i will tell you
more about them and White Rogers has a form of this but will have to check
on them on the model they have.

TURTLE

Dare

"CBHvac" wrote:

Keep in mind that the one that HD sells, is what we in the trade call a sure
fire money maker.
If you want a lighted digital display, Robershaw makes several, that are not
sold in retail stores, that have a backlight and digital display.
So does Totalline.
So does Honeywell.
That large display stat that HD has is like a hunter or Lux..made in China
and a sure fire way to wonder why after a couple of months things are acting
screwy.

The main thing is, you have to have the right sub-base, or stat for the
application, and, the large display stat that is being talked about, is not
available for a heat pump, so if thats what she has, HD isnt the place to
look.

Thanks...reliability is also a very important to us.
She has a gas furnace, no A/C.
After looking at some of the digital thermostats, I'm
not sure if she could see the display well enough.
I've looked around on the web to get some comparisons
on features and applications to help her decide which
might work best for her...It's become clear that this
is not going to be a "do-it-yourself" job for me.
I certainly don't want to ruin the heating system
in the middle of a cold snap! :-)

Thanks for your advice and suggestions,
Dare

Dare

"TURTLE" wrote :

[...]

Thank You! The Honeywell site is great....very informative.
That T-87F "Easy to See" sounds like it might be her best bet.
She wants it simple and easy...she was particularly pleased with
the audible and tactile feedback features, so that she doesn't
necessarily have to try to actually see the dial.

Thank you so very much...we both greatly appreciate your help,
Dare

Stormin Mormonn

Thems the grits, chief.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Dare" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormonn" wrote

[...]

Art Begun

The previous owner of a townhouse my parents moved into installed a
Lux programmable. It has been there for years without any problems.
In use with AC and gas furnace.

"CBHvac" wrote in message

"Dare" wrote in message
"mark Ransley" wrote:

[...]

CBHvac

"Art Begun" wrote in message
k.net...
The previous owner of a townhouse my parents moved into installed a
Lux programmable. It has been there for years without any problems.
In use with AC and gas furnace.

OK..thats very well possible...but the bottom line is, that Lux, Hunter..and
the off brands, in general, suck.
You take 20 Lux, and there will be a few that wont work out of the box, a
couple that work fine as long as they are on the wall, and the rest will
give some sort of problem perhaps not the day they are installed, but much
sooner than they should.
Thats true for any brand, however, ask anyone that does this for a living,
and Lux, and Hunter fail hands down, more often than any other.
Its like Carrier AC coils...everyone thats been in the trade for more than a
year knows that ICP coils leak...period...they just leak.

"CBHvac" wrote in message

"Dare" wrote in message
"mark Ransley" wrote:

[...]

CBHvac

"Stormin Mormonn" wrote in message
Thems the grits, chief.

--

Get something you can call your own...hack.

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Dare" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormonn" wrote

[...]

m Ransley

Thinking about Lux Ive had 2 installed at 2 locations , one last year on
a water heat radiators , last year it maintained a 3 degree spread,
this year 4 degree. My second one 2 yrs old goes blank when I access hrs
run, till I jiggle the switch. Im a little ****ed at Lux, Didnt HD or
menards drop them.