Ron Rosen

Default Article on anchoring a door sill into concrete in basement?

I had seen a usenet article here about a month or two ago about what I also
wanted to do but I cannot locate the article/thread any more.

The thread was about adding a door sill/threshhold to a doorway between the
basement and garage. The floor beneath the wood door was concrete. I
believe the poster asked if a wood or aluminum sill would be better and also
asked for thoughts on how to install it (anchoring it, sealing it, etc.).

I have almost this exact same task to do (I have a solid wood door too) and
was hoping someone could either point me to the original post/thread or give
me similar answers/ideas on doing this job myself. i.e. how to ancor it in
the concrete, what to use for sealant, etc. I know I'll have to shorten the
wood door by a bit and I would use a portable circulat saw for this - do I
need a specific blade to cut the door (# teeth, etc.)?

The wood door sills I've seen at Home Depot are either 3 5/8" or 4 5/8"
width. Does this matter or is it a personal preference thing? I could
replace the wood door with a steel door but then I'd have to replace the
whole wood framing too so I'd prefer not to.

Thanks!
Ron

John

I didn't see the post but the job is relatively straight-forward.

I'd use a wooden sill if energy conservation is an issue, aluminum conducts
heat/cold (not a biggee if you are in a moderate climate). Seal the sill
with any good-quality exterior caulking (a couple of beads under it before
final install to prevent air/water penetration).

There are a number of different concrete fastening devices available at any
home store or hardware. Most require drilling a hole with a masonry bit in
the concrete and then insetting some sort of plastic/lead or fiber plug
which the screw fits into. Start by cutting the threshold to length first
then mark through the mounting holes with a pencil, remove and drill the
holes on the marks.

You shouldn't need to cut the door shorter if you get the type of threshold
that the door butts up to. If you want the type that the door goes over top
of, there is also generally a seal that fastens on the bottom of the door so
the length of the door is more critical.

If you do need to cut the door, mark the line by scribing from the floor
with a compass, pull out the hinge-pins, remove the door and cut with a
fine-tooth blade. Scoring the line on both sides with a straight-edge and
razor-blade knife will prevent chipping.

John

"Ron Rosen" wrote in message
[...]

Ron Rosen

I've never seen this type of sill. My local home depot only has the under
door sill.
How would this other type work if the floor surface is completely flat on
both sides of the door?

Thanks,
Ron.

"Ron Rosen" wrote in message
[...]

John

Ron:

They are called "bumper thresholds" and they sit on the floor on the side of
the door opposite to the direction it opens. When the door shuts, it butts
up against a seal on the threshold.

They are quite common around here (available at any building center) and
easy to install.

Here's a link with some pictures of various styles.

http://www.draftseal.com/commercial/...sholdalum.html

John

et...

"Ron Rosen" wrote in message
[...]

John

Here's a link to one that Ace Hardware sells:

http://www.brandnametools.biz/hardwa...s/_1295175.htm

and another:

http://www.cornerhardware.com/produc...502&SID=328045

John

"John" wrote in message
Ron:

They are called "bumper thresholds" and they sit on the floor on the side

of
the door opposite to the direction it opens. When the door shuts, it

butts
up against a seal on the threshold.

They are quite common around here (available at any building center) and
easy to install.

Here's a link with some pictures of various styles.

http://www.draftseal.com/commercial/...sholdalum.html

John

et...

"Ron Rosen" wrote in message
[...]

John

"John" wrote in message
Ron:

They are called "bumper thresholds" and they sit on the floor on the side

of
the door opposite to the direction it opens. When the door shuts, it

butts
up against a seal on the threshold.

They are quite common around here (available at any building center) and
easy to install.

Here's a link with some pictures of various styles.

http://www.draftseal.com/commercial/...sholdalum.html

John

et...

"Ron Rosen" wrote in message
[...]

advice sought - builder's idea for damp proofing a basement Antony UK diy 8 June 30th 04 05:46 PM
Basement concrete floor Ed Kaz Home Repair 5 November 4th 03 02:37 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
re-use old concrete as an aggregate ? PoP UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 12:06 PM