Blower on furnace hums and doesn't start

Old November 23rd 03, 05:33 PM
Mark

Default Blower on furnace hums and doesn't start

I am having problems with one of my two furnaces. When the thermostat
kicks in, the furnace will light, but the fan won't kick in. Then the
furnace shuts down. If I turn off the heat (i.e. not on heat or
cool), and turn the fan to "on", it just hums (the other furnace works
fine and the fan will run). There is a solenoid that clicks, then the
humming. The fan itself turns effortlessly.

Do you think this could be a problem with the capacitor, solenoid or
transformer?

Also, I have been having another problem (probably unrelated?) once a
year every winter when I first start the furnace. The fan doesn't
want to kick in but I didn't notice any humming - this appeared to
have something to do with that timer-like dial (is it a temperature
limit switch?). Two taps with the end of a screwdriver and I'm
usually OK for the year.

Any ideas on either problem? Thanks.
Old November 23rd 03, 06:25 PM
Henry77

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Too many variables to diagnose by remote control like does the blower
(fan) motor have a start cap , run cap , both or neither (blower motors can
be any of these). Could be a cap problem , relay problem , open start
winding or none of these -again depending on your equipment. The best bet is
call in an HVAC tech to take a look and I hope your not hitting the fan
limit switch with that hammer as it is also a safety device :-( .

Henry

Old November 23rd 03, 06:41 PM
profft

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I am having problems with one of my two furnaces. When the thermostat
kicks in, the furnace will light, but the fan won't kick in. Then the
furnace shuts down. If I turn off the heat (i.e. not on heat or
cool), and turn the fan to "on", it just hums (the other furnace works
fine and the fan will run). There is a solenoid that clicks, then the
humming. The fan itself turns effortlessly.

You mean before you pushed the door switch in right, thought you might hand
start it but when you press the button she just stops dead and won't turn
without one helluva growl?

Do you think this could be a problem with the capacitor, solenoid or
transformer?

No,No, and No

Also, I have been having another problem (probably unrelated?) once a
year every winter when I first start the furnace. The fan doesn't
want to kick in but I didn't notice any humming - this appeared to
have something to do with that timer-like dial (is it a temperature
limit switch?). Two taps with the end of a screwdriver and I'm
usually OK for the year.

Any ideas on either problem? Thanks

What you need is to get rid of that dinosaur, your throwing half the
heat literally right up the stack, wouldn't it be better to put the $700 it
would cost to solve your current delema towords a new furnace that at a
minimum cuts your operating costs by 30 cents on your heating dollar., and
realistically can average 45 cents over your current system and thats just a
2stage 80%er with a variable fan. Now for smidge or two more I can cut your
wasted energy down to 3 or 4 cents on your heating dollar instaed of ****ing
away 45 cents or better, on a really cold day you could ****away 50 or 60
cents on the dollar. Uses 60% of the electricty of a standard furnace, for
what it costs to run your blower for 3weeks I can run this fan for a year or
more.

The higher your utility bills are the quicker the payoff in energy savings ;
open a savings account and deposit the difference your heating bill would
normally have been. At the end of the season you can take a nice little
weekend mini vacation somewhere. Its money you would have had to have spent
anyway.

Yes...your welcome.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:01 PM
HvacTech2

Hi volts500, hope you are having a nice day

On 23-Nov-03 At About 19:00:41, volts500 wrote to volts500
Subject: Blower on furnace hums and doesn't start

v From: "volts500"

v wrote in message
v ...
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:15:02 GMT, "volts500"
wrote:

v Looks like you're the one who needs to go to school, son. Classic
v motor start symptoms and you gotta make like it's a some kinda trade
v secret.

v "Fan turns effortlessly"...bearings? locked rotor? NOT! Motor getting
v power? Well, it's humming. Gee Wally, do you 'pose we should check
v the cap?

This doesn't necessarily mean it is the cap. I think you need more schooling
if you think that could be the only cause. I have seen many motors that had
these symptoms and it was simply a bad motor. ( winding ) I have also seen
bad relay contacts sending a reduced voltage cause the same symptoms.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Old November 23rd 03, 09:09 PM
profft

Beat it bozo, so skulk back to your regular NG bonehead

wrote in message
On 23 Nov 2003 09:33:42 -0800, (Mark) wrote:

[...]

I'd replace the capacitor and see if that fixes it. They are cheap
enough to take the gamble. If that dont fix it, the fan motor is
probably shot. Take out the whole blower and take it to a motor
repair shop and have the motor tested and repaired or replaced.
Blower removal should not be that difficult. Probably 4 bolts, and
the wires. Of course shut off the power @ the breaker when you remove
the wires.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:24 PM
TimS

If you live in or near a decent size town, and really know how to work
electricity safely....

Lock it out, mark both ends of all connections, pull the fan motor ( take
fan off) and the capacitor and take them to your local electric motor
rewinding shop. Look for sign that says "counter" in some form. Wait in line
patiently, be nice and offer the guy a soda or coffee.They will be able to
quickly test both (because they have to disprove 'returns') and sell you
the right one wholesale.

The small motors are not rebuilt, but replaced, should be $35 (often) to
$75.

It's not rocket science, don't get killed.

Tim S.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:36 PM
TURTLE

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

this is Turtle.

Mark you need to oil the motor before it eats the bearing up in it and you
have to change it. If you have been oiling it, Change the motor out and the
capasitor. Don't mess with repairing a motor for all your asking for is
trouble.

TURTLE